Beyerdynamic DT-880, but closed?
May 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In fact, I think the DT770 is more like a closed DT990 with somewhat more rolled off treble and significantly less soundstage.

The DT770 does not have rolled off treble, and it is not shown on the graph either. Maybe the 80 Ohm version does (I only have the 250), but then it is not the same driver.

May 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:
Its not gross misinformation, the OP asked if "Beyerdynamic has another model with the same EQ / drivers / etc, but closed for a bit of isolation". The answer to this specific question is that yes Beyerdynamic has another model with the same drivers but closed for a bit of isolation and this model is the DT770. Graphs show that EQ is also fairly similar, although people will subjectively tell you that they sound nothing alike. Its not true, they don't sound the same but they are not completely unrelated to each other either. As I already explained above, the DT990 and DT770 sound similar to the DT880 at lower volumes, based on the Fletcher-Munson curve. Neutrality is not linear on the volume scale...

But yes, if you want a closed headphone from another company that sounds similar to the DT880, I would recommend one of the models that have already been mentioned in this thread by PurpleAngel and Mysteek. With this said, IMO the biggest trademark of the DT880 is its emphasized, sharp, crystal-clear treble and I don't think any of the competition has that. Coincidentally, the DT770 does...

Honestly, I have personally heard all 3, owned a DT990 Pro and currently have a DT880 600, too, and sincerely, DT770/DT880/DT990 sound nothing alike, low volume or high.

Those graphs don't tell the whole story.

Quote:

The DT770 does not have rolled off treble, and it is not shown on the graph either. Maybe the 80 Ohm version does (I only have the 250), but then it is not the same driver.

It is rolled off relative to the DT990, which I think has the most treble of the trio. I think it's also fair to say that the DT770 does't have rolled off treble but rather that the DT990 has way too much treble emphasis.

May 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

What versions are you comparing exactly ?

DT770 250 against DT990 600 directly at a friend's place.

He was successful in convincing me to go Beyer, so I went for a DT990 Pro next, which I had the chance to compare against DT880 600, which is now my favorite.

And on that note, the DT770 was different from the 990. Not completely different, but the differences are not minor. The DT990 600 sounded a lot more open, with a lot more treble, and a lot more bass impact as well. Compared to DT770 250, the 990 600 sounded more 3-D, with more forward and articulated midrange, and it revealed a lot more details as well.

DT990 Pro is also different against DT880 600. 990 Pro has more bass impact, leaner and faster bass (almost unrealistically so), and slightly more treble emphasis, but midrange is colder and more recessed.

May 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X are the only closed headphones I've heard that come close to having that super airy sound.  (Check here for my review).  It also happens to be the most balanced closed headphone I've heard, which again is what I assume you seek coming from the DT880's.

Good luck on your search!

Wow, that is a great review. I am still a n00b myself, although I learn towards Sennheiser and Beyer stuff, I'm happy to check out new things. So far the only thing I owned from Audio Technica was the ATH-M50 and I can see why it is popular, but it wasn't quite reference or neutral for me, returned it. I will check out the ATH-900X.

Btw, where do you all get your stuff? Is there some cool shop I don't know about? I'm using deep in the trenches of Amazon.com searches, haha.

May 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:
Its not gross misinformation, the OP asked if "Beyerdynamic has another model with the same EQ / drivers / etc, but closed for a bit of isolation". The answer to this specific question is that yes Beyerdynamic has another model with the same drivers but closed for a bit of isolation and this model is the DT770. Graphs show that EQ is also fairly similar, although people will subjectively tell you that they sound nothing alike. Its not true, they don't sound the same but they are not completely unrelated to each other either. As I already explained above, the DT990 and DT770 sound similar to the DT880 at lower volumes, based on the Fletcher-Munson curve. Neutrality is not linear on the volume scale...

But yes, if you want a closed headphone from another company that sounds similar to the DT880, I would recommend one of the models that have already been mentioned in this thread by PurpleAngel and Mysteek. With this said, IMO the biggest trademark of the DT880 is its emphasized, sharp, crystal-clear treble and I don't think any of the competition has that. Coincidentally, the DT770 does...

Which model would that be, my new found graph making friend? :)

May 9, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:
Which model would that be, my new found graph making friend? :)

Shure SRH940 is very similar, with just a smidgen less treble and a slightly less natural bass (emphasis on smidgen and slightly).
AKG K550 is also quite similar, but also with less emphasized treble.

Naturally, neither of these have the soundstage of the DT880

May 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:
DT770 250 against DT990 600 directly at a friend's place.

A fair comparison would have been something like DT770 Pro 250 vs. DT990 Pro 250, so the impedance and edition are the same. "Premium" models are generally slightly leaner and brighter, and treble extension does depend somewhat on the driver impedance.

May 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:
Shure SRH940 is very similar, with just a smidgen less treble and a slightly less natural bass (emphasis on smidgen and slightly).

Wow - shows we hear with different ears 
wink.gif

I owned the DT880 Pro 250, the SRH940 (both now sold) and currently own the DT880 600ohm.  To me the SRH 940 sound nothing like the Beyers.  SRH940 - forward and sweet mid-range, extended highs (but surprisingly not sibilant), good bass extension, but missing bass impact (mid-bass).  Focus really on mids and highs.  DT880 much more balanced - slight emphasis on highs and lows.  DT880 has much better total bass balance, impact and texture.  Mids on the DT880 though are quite flat, and can be dry at times (almost very slightly recessed) which is why tubes are often recommended to bring the mid-range forward.

To my ears there is a huge difference in the two mid-ranges & also in the mid-bass.

May 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Wow - shows we hear with different ears 
wink.gif

I owned the DT880 Pro 250, the SRH940 (both now sold) and currently own the DT880 600ohm.  To me the SRH 940 sound nothing like the Beyers.  SRH940 - forward and sweet mid-range, extended highs (but surprisingly not sibilant), good bass extension, but missing bass impact (mid-bass).  Focus really on mids and highs.  DT880 much more balanced - slight emphasis on highs and lows.  DT880 has much better total bass balance, impact and texture.  Mids on the DT880 though are quite flat, and can be dry at times (almost very slightly recessed) which is why tubes are often recommended to bring the mid-range forward.

To my ears there is a huge difference in the two mid-ranges & also in the mid-bass.

Indeed, to me the major difference is in the mid-bass, which is a little lacking on the srh940. It is also true that the srh940 is more of a mid-happy can than anything, but generally I'd simply describe both the DT880 and the SRH940 as flat... IMO the differences are very small. Perhaps its not that we have different ears but simply how big a difference we interpret there to be. 

Also - I'm basing my views on cans I no longer own. After I got my current love the Beyer DT250, I got rid of my DT880 250ohm and the very uncomfortable SRH940. I made some notes back when I had both cans but I can't honestly say I remember what they sounded like precisely as it is not humanly possible to do so. With this said, I'd still consider both the DT880 and the SRH940 to be flat, but a little on the bright side (DT880 being brighter).

May 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Very cool! I have been reading reviews of these all morning. Sometimes I wish I could not see what I was reviewing because I was leaning towards the AKG K550 by what you and others wrote... then... I saw them. Holy $%^# do they look cool?! Haha! To quote my wife, "It looks like he is wearing a discman on his head" I guess those are next for me. I would be OK with less treble, not a fan of enhanced bass. Thansks once again!

May 12, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #28 of 59
I gotta say, I had a chance to listen to the T70 and T70p today and they are both quite similar to the DT880 in a lot of ways. Maybe a touch more bass and not quite the soundstage (although still was good) but definitely a similar overall sound.

May 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:
I gotta say, I had a chance to listen to the T70 and T70p today and they are both quite similar to the DT880 in a lot of ways. Maybe a touch more bass and not quite the soundstage (although still was good) but definitely a similar overall sound.

Thanks for your reply and good timing as well. I was glad to read your post because about 2:00am last night I was on amazon and the T70p was on sale for $408! I had to jump on that one. It'll be here wed, so I'll post an update.

As for the Shure and AKG set, I got to try them . The Shure sounded good. Comfy, good clamping force, nice EQ, but a little similar to some other cans I have so going to pass on it. The AKG was the big surprise, but in a bad way. I actually returned it. I've never had a can with such weak clamping force. It was like laying a wash cloth on your head with a driver taped on each end. Really a shame because the sound seemed great when I pressed them tightly on my head to achieve a good seal. They just need to improve that headband. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Honestly, I have personally heard all 3, owned a DT990 Pro and currently have a DT880 600, too, and sincerely, DT770/DT880/DT990 sound nothing alike, low volume or high.

Those graphs don't tell the whole story.

It is rolled off relative to the DT990, which I think has the most treble of the trio. I think it's also fair to say that the DT770 does't have rolled off treble but rather that the DT990 has way too much treble emphasis.

I'm thinking of an experiment. 

Let's get 10 Golden Ear Head-Fi people to listen to the DT770 and draw a graph based on perception similar to the ones at www.headphone.com.  The Golden Ears can tell us what level of harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion and isolation are present and even give us some pulse response and CSD graphs as well.  I'm sure we'll expect to see about 100 or so completely different looking graphs.

When will people get over the fact that humans lack senses that are anywhere near as sophisticated as what current technology is capable of delivering.  Things that measure the same (more or less) sound drastically different not because they ACTUALLY sound different but because we think they sound different up there in our primitive brains.  We need to be a bit more humble and come to this simple scientific realization. 

But here I think I'm preaching to the wrong choir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back