Beyerdynamic Dt 880 600 Ohm or Sennheiser HD 600 Cardas Recable
Nov 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cOSteLLo

Head-Fier
Hello,

I really am having a hard time deciding which openbacks for around 300$ i should get. I can't decide between the dt880/600 and the HD 600 Cardas Cabled. i have the oportunity to get each for the price of 300..

can anybody help me decide? (hass anybody compared the 2 in these special versions?)

i got a lake people g99 amp and a musical fidelity v-dac

i listen to alot of Jazz, RnB, Soul, Piano Music ...I appreciate a big soundstage and nice female vocals...

Thx alot in advance

cOSteLLo

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Ouch.  Tough call.  I dont know which one I would go for.  I might lean towards the 600s but the 880s are just great, even without an upgrade cable.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 19

yup, he does!
Quote:
Hello,

I really am having a hard time deciding which openbacks for around 300$ i should get. I can't decide between the dt880/600 and the HD 600 Cardas Cabled. i have the oportunity to get each for the price of 300..

can anybody help me decide? (hass anybody compared the 2 in these special versions?)

i got a lake people g99 amp and a musical fidelity v-dac

i listen to alot of Jazz, RnB, Soul, Piano Music ...I appreciate a big soundstage and nice female vocals...

Thx alot in advance

cOSteLLo

Nov 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 19
you need to audition them because they sound different. both are labelled as neutral headphones but i would paint the dt880 600 ohms as a bit brighter with better soundstage and comfort than the hd600. the stock hd600, when as i was able to audition them hooked up to a master amp (solid state), sounded far more subdued (less forward vocals and instruments) than the dt880. if i were you and my focus is on vocals and soundstage i would gun for an hd650 as they portray vocals seductively, especially when paired with a schiit asgard; even on an entry-level tube amp of mine, the little dot mk2, the hd650 beats the hd600 and dt880 on vocals :D

ymmv of course. i have heard the vdac + original master amp with the hd600 but i would prefer the sound of the dt880 600 ohms on the audio-gd c-2c. for your needs you might want to audition the hd650 :) 

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 19
ok, so i got the hd 600 for 150 $ used. Thx for the recommandation!

does anybody know where i can buy the cardas cable a little bit cheaper? 220 at headroom as an awefull big amount of money for a cable... are there any other brands that make good ones?

i somehow have the feeling that the more specialized the equipment is, the more expensive it gets... i mean whats next, do i need an adpater for lets say 400? lol

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Buying a cable for hundreds of dollars is a complete waste unless you have thousand dollar components. Use the money to save up for a better amp, DAC, source, music, whatever. This is the general consensus on cables on Head-fi, it is what I've picked up. From what I've read, cables only give slight changes in sound signature, maybe make a headphone a bit clearer or give it better bass. There are acknowledged positive changes going to a balanced cable, but those changes are because of the balanced amp driving the phones, not the cable.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Buying a cable for hundreds of dollars is a complete waste unless you have thousand dollar components. Use the money to save up for a better amp, DAC, source, music, whatever. This is the general consensus on cables on Head-fi, it is what I've picked up. From what I've read, cables only give slight changes in sound signature, maybe make a headphone a bit clearer or give it better bass. There are acknowledged positive changes going to a balanced cable, but those changes are because of the balanced amp driving the phones, not the cable.

The cable for the HD600 must be part of a deal, and as such I don't think he's paying a couple of hundred for it. He said he can get both for $300, a HD600 with Cardas would usually be much more than that.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 19
He already got the HD600s. However many hundreds of dollars he can spend more on cables won't be very helpful. Heck, for $230 costello could get a lightly used DT880 600 ohm off of ebay- I just checked. Having two headphones that differ would undoubtably be more fun and informative than one headphone with a cable that provides minimal improvements.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 19
The CablePro cable is only $150 and CablePro has some positive feedback for most of their products. Or if you are a DIY'er you can build a cable for $45 or so. There is also the HD650 cable for $15.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 19
Even the most avid proponents of cables say the difference is slight, and only fairly noticeable when you have very good components behind the headphone. Always look at things in perspective.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 19
I wouldn't say the differences are slight, nor less pronounced with good upstream gear; in fact, would tend to report just the opposite.  A compatible re-cable, to me, is vital to one's hearing what the headphones can really do.

My experience with the HD600 w/Cardas re-cable was positive.

(an avid cable proponent)

Quote:
Even the most avid proponents of cables say the difference is slight, and only fairly noticeable when you have very good components behind the headphone. Always look at things in perspective.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 19
For your genres of music, I would easily take them over the 600. If you started mixing any rock, pop or more modern music into the mix, the 600 would be better, IMO of course. I returned the 880/600 only for the fact that I needed more of an all arounder. I found the 880 perfect for your genres. I actually felt the emotion in the music similar to when I owned the K501.

Quote:
u might be right.
gosh when i think about it i could really get a dt880 instead of some cable lol!

plz dont let my wallet do that

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 19
I thought I just said the difference would be more pronounced with good upstream gear. More revealing gear with better audio quality to begin with, and if a recable allows more music to shine through, better gear would have a larger effect. Do you really think the $200 or so spent on the cable is worth it when the components behind it are not particularly high grade? As I said, costello could buy the dt880s with that money. Having two headphones to suit your mood or because they each compliment each other would seems to me a much better value.

Quote:
I wouldn't say the differences are slight, nor less pronounced with good upstream gear; in fact, would tend to report just the opposite.  A compatible re-cable, to me, is vital to one's hearing what the headphones can really do.

My experience with the HD600 w/Cardas re-cable was positive.

(an avid cable proponent)

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back