Beyerdynamic DT 880, 250 ohm or 600 ohm.
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Leeown

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I decided to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Cans.
I will be using them for my PC. The soundcard I have is the Asus Xonar Xense. I have been searching alot on the internet for answers on this, and with the things I've read it should drive 600ohm just fine. But I need some confirmation, to be completely sure on what to purchase. My software on the Xonar Xense has and option to support up to 600ohm, atleast thats what it says, but will it be enough. So my question is: Will my Asus Xonar Xense, drive Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm just fine, or should I go for the 250ohm instead, and why?

I like detailed answers, as I like to learn, and I need to be convinced. I don't know alot about impedance. How would I in the future determine how powerful a soundcard has to be to drive different types of cans with various levels of Ohm.

Lee.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hello Head-Fi!

I decided to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Cans.
I will be using them for my PC. The sound card I have is the Asus Xonar Xense. I have been searching a lot on the internet for answers on this, and with the things I've read it should drive 600ohm just fine. But I need some confirmation, to be completely sure on what to purchase. My software on the Xonar Xense has and option to support up to 600ohm, atleast thats what it says, but will it be enough. So my question is: Will my Asus Xonar Xense, drive Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm just fine, or should I go for the 250-ohm instead, and why?

I like detailed answers, as I like to learn, and I need to be convinced. I don't know a lot about impedance. How would I in the future determine how powerful a sound card has to be to drive different types of cans with various levels of Ohm.

Lee.

I own the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm.
I believe the Xonar Xence can drive 600-Ohm Beyer headphones (my Essence STX can)
Unless you can get a used DT880 Premium 600-Ohm for $200, it's not really worth the mark up in price and just get the Pro 250-Ohm.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your answer PurpleAngel.

Here in Denmark, the 880 Premium 600 Ohm version, is actually quite cheap so the money part isn't much of a problem. I've read several places that the 600 has alot more flavour and life, which I like. Wondering if others could give thier point of view aswell, so I could get more than one confirmation on what to buy! :)

Lee.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 4
I wouldn't believe those 'flavour and life' comments. The consensus here in numerous threads is that, with typical equipment, they're virtually indistinguishable, and since the 250 ohm is easier to drive and match to most reasonably priced amps you're probably better off with that, initial price notwithstanding.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back