Beyerdynamic DT-770 Vs DT-770 Pro
Jul 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

TestSubject

100+ Head-Fier
Please explain the difference, i know that the headband has a different clamping force, but is that all?

Please do not refer to Zombie_x's review, it is highly controversial and very confusing.

What justifies the price difference?

Pro:

not Pro:

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 28
Heya,

Specs are exactly the same. The only one thing different is that the premium DT770 ways 290grams instead of 270grams and they look different with a different type of headband. Other than that, impedance. Pro's do 80/250 ohms, and the Premiums do 23/250/600 ohms. They sound basically the same, except that the clamping of the Pro version's headband provides richer bass response making it a bit bassier. The Pro is marketed towards DJ style use. The Premium is simply marketed towards home use. The sonic differences are minimal and largely due to headbands. They have the same pads, and even have the same rated isolation. And then there are several editions from various years of the same headphone that have more cosmetic differences.

I have the DT770 Pro's. They're great headphones for closed, I saw no reason to get the premium version of the DT770. And I also have the DT990 for an open version that's bassy too.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 28
The update, not the pro, improved the bass a whole lot more. They managed to control it more and i think there was more clarity

I didn't compare the two at the exact same moment so I can't really remember the total difference.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 28
theres a pretty noticeable difference between the two i think.  The pros are more boomy and the premiums are a little tighter in the bass category.  to me the premiums seem a bit more balanced to.  neither have a big midrange but the premiums overall seem smoother.   I think the premiums are worth the upgrade price especially if you can shop around and find them for a good price around 200$. 

naw the pro seems to have a bit more but the premiums seems to be a bit more articulate

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
How about build quality?

@BotByte So The "Consumer"Version as even more bass then the Pro?

The Beyers are rugged. All the DT770, DT880 and DT990's have the same basic build with cosmetic differences. They're very rugged and sturdy. Made of plastic, aluminum and hard rubber. They feel good, they're not light, they feel like they have substance.

The Pro of the DT770's is the bassier of the line.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 28
i've read somewhere that either the 250 or 600 ohm version of the consumer or premium line is not bass heavy at all.  but my 32s are far from bass light.   more than the 990 has. and much deeper.  but not quite as boomy as my 80s were.  ive been trying to get my 80s back from my bro so i can sit down and compare them right next to each other. 

i really am a fan of the Beyer sound.  haven't heard one i didn't like.  can't really go wrong with any of them.  and i see the pros for sale on ebay all the time at a pretty good price sometimes 150$
and i've noticed that sometimes on ebay you will find sellers who don't know what exactly they have.  they may have a premium 600 ohm and because the box says 250 they will price it by pricing the 990 250 ohm pro which goes for about 170$ and so they sell it at that price when in reality the premium 990/600 goes for about 100 more

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 28
To be Honest, i would go for DT-990, i dont mind sacrificing a little bass for overall SQ. The problem is this bloody Amazon.fr that just doesnt have the good old US$ Deals.

At that price, Dt-770 will have to do.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 28
is something like this an option?
http://cgi.ebay.fr/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT-770-PRO-80-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/380356836365?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item588f08bc0d

im not sure exactly what it says i don't speak french but i tried.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
Well it doesnt really matter, i will be using those at home so isolation doesnt matter, i want the best SQ as possible while keeping a good amont of bass.

Can never have enough bass.

Heya,

Well, I have the DT770 Pro's and I eventually got the DT990 600ohms for the same reason. The DT990's don't have over powering bass. They have good controlled bass though, and it's enough to keep me happy, they have great sound stage and great highs. I love them for movies and games and most musics. I only find them lacking when listening to acoustic, vocals, indie, etc. Things like that where it's kind of quiet, few instruments, lots of detail, no bass really, mostly mids/highs. But that's why I have several cans. Gotta have the right can for the right sound some days.

For pure bass, I have my Ultrasone Pro 900's. Have you considered something like the Ultrasone HFI 580's?

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 28
DT770pro/80 is a bit boomy and sometimes tizzy compared to the m50s. I see in your sig line you have a pair of AT-M50s. m50s have a tighter, more accurate bass. They might dip down lower than the 770s, but the 770pros have a way of sending across the illusion of a larger bass quantity, as well as, a larger soundstage.

The DT770pro/80s work really well with movies, TV, and games. I really enjoy them when I want to watch something late at night.  Honestly, for music it begins to become pretty obvious how hard they are trying to have deep bass and wide soundstage, it can get distracting. The m50s clearly win here... (I have both of these headphones, and while I like them both, one is not really an upgrade over the other, though I would rather watch movies with the m50s than listen to music with only the 770pro/80s.) It is hard to justify the 770pros, though it's problems seem to come from a lack of dampening in the cups. I think if I properly damped the cups inside, they would improve significantly.

It might be worth looking at another headphone in this pricerange, unless you are truly wanting a Beyer model and only a Beyerdynamic model.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
Pro's do 80/250 ohms, and the Premiums do 23/250/600 ohms.

That is not correct. Pro's do 32 ohm too:

Quote:
Dear Mr.,

Thank you for your E-Mail.

There is indeed a 32 ohms version of the DT 770 PRO. It’s not listed on either the internet site or pricelist, only available on special request.

I hope this helps you.

Many regards,

Peter Grooff
Product Manager Headzone® / Headphones / Headsets / OEM ProAudio
Social Networking

beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG
Theresienstr. 8
74072 Heilbronn - Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 7131 / 617 - 156
Fax: +49 (0) 7131 / 617 - 299
Mobile: +49 (0) 175 / 2 60 66 87
E-mail: grooff@beyerdynamic.de
Internet: www.beyerdynamic.com

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
Pro's do 80/250 ohms, and the Premiums do 23/250/600 ohms.

That is not correct. Pro's do 32 ohm too:

Oh for heaven's sake. Special request. Really?

Clearly I stand corrected.
rolleyes.gif

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back