Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Feb 3, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #661 of 679
Just make sure you don't pair it with amp/dac that's too bassy. Through my Fiio E18 Kunlun, the bass on the dt 770 is really boomy and might turn you off. Through something a little cleaner, like my modi 2u and asgard 2, the bass through the dt 770 is super tight but still satisfying. For a 32 ohm headphone, the dt 770 is really responsive to the other equipment in your chain.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #662 of 679
  Just make sure you don't pair it with amp/dac that's too bassy. Through my Fiio E18 Kunlun, the bass on the dt 770 is really boomy and might turn you off. Through something a little cleaner, like my modi 2u and asgard 2, the bass through the dt 770 is super tight but still satisfying. For a 32 ohm headphone, the dt 770 is really responsive to the other equipment in your chain.

Actually I'd probably just be using it with my FIIO X3 II which has a pretty clean sound and from my experience doesn't accentuate the bass at all. 

May 15, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #665 of 679
I had read that the 32's were limited edition and picked up a pair. I love them. Before getting the 32-ohm version, I mistakenly got the 250ohm version because I didn't know that the dt770 wasn't a single product but a line. I have recently found after a lot of use, that my 250-ohm pair is muddy in the midtones and so I started using my 32ohm pair for studio work and movie viewing as well as my digital piano and for field recording. Today I picked up a pair of the 80-ohm variety and am still breaking them in. They don't seem to have the muddiness problem of the 250's. From what I've read, they need some breaking in before they really hit their stride.
Now having sampled the complete ohm range, I highly recommend the 32ohm headphones and I bought mine off of Amazon. They sell all 3 of the ohm ratings. I guess Beyerdynamic gave up on them being limited edition in the US market. I use the 32's with my iPhone and iPad as well and both devices drive them nicely but they also sound great driven by my focusrite Scarlet 2i4 usb audio box for use with Pro Tools. Great brand. Great Build quality and every part is replacable.
Price the 80-ohm version is the cheapest at $132.24 on Amazon right now. The 32-ohms are $140.67 and the 250-ohms are $147.48.
My only complaints were the lack of the comfy velour covers which I bought a pair of and took off the original pleather ear pads, and the short cord which is roughly half the length of the 80 ohm version and the 250 ohm version(though the 250's have a coiled cord so it's hard to judge of far they'll stretch. With the short cord, I kept finding myself unable to move from my chair when hooked up to my focusrite, so I got myself a phono extender. I am happy I got the 80's to replace the 250's,but I'm definitely keeping the 32's and plan to use them when I need more volume etc.

May 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #666 of 679
Guys.... I have a dt770 pro 80ohm but i would like to have a shorter cable..... What would i win/loose if i switched from a 80 ohm dt770 to a 32? I dont looooove my dt770s because i uasually prefer a more punchy and exciting sound such as on the hd25 or m50x.... Is the 32 ohm dt770 any more exciting, punchy than the 80ohm one?

May 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #667 of 679
  I had read that the 32's were limited edition and picked up a pair. I love them. Before getting the 32-ohm version, I mistakenly got the 250ohm version because I didn't know that the dt770 wasn't a single product but a line. I have recently found after a lot of use, that my 250-ohm pair is muddy in the midtones and so I started using my 32ohm pair for studio work and movie viewing as well as my digital piano and for field recording. Today I picked up a pair of the 80-ohm variety and am still breaking them in. They don't seem to have the muddiness problem of the 250's. From what I've read, they need some breaking in before they really hit their stride.
Now having sampled the complete ohm range, I highly recommend the 32ohm headphones and I bought mine off of Amazon. They sell all 3 of the ohm ratings. I guess Beyerdynamic gave up on them being limited edition in the US market. I use the 32's with my iPhone and iPad as well and both devices drive them nicely but they also sound great driven by my focusrite Scarlet 2i4 usb audio box for use with Pro Tools. Great brand. Great Build quality and every part is replacable.
Price the 80-ohm version is the cheapest at $132.24 on Amazon right now. The 32-ohms are $140.67 and the 250-ohms are $147.48.
My only complaints were the lack of the comfy velour covers which I bought a pair of and took off the original pleather ear pads, and the short cord which is roughly half the length of the 80 ohm version and the 250 ohm version(though the 250's have a coiled cord so it's hard to judge of far they'll stretch. With the short cord, I kept finding myself unable to move from my chair when hooked up to my focusrite, so I got myself a phono extender. I am happy I got the 80's to replace the 250's,but I'm definitely keeping the 32's and plan to use them when I need more volume etc.

What types of music do you usually listen to? The 32ohm is closer sounding to the 80 or 250ohm version? Wich of all 3 has more punch on the bass (better for edm) and wich do you think is better overall?

Cheers

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #669 of 679
Just by pure chance I've managed to aquire the pro 32 ohm version - sometimes with me a headphone ends up in my collection by coming completely out of the left field.

A guy at work had very recently bought both the DT770 32 and the Audio Technica AT50X to compare for gaming purposes, but overlooked the fact that the online seller didn't accept returns for headphones (except for warranty replacement). He preferred the AT50X as he could hear footsteps better with them - apparently this is important in gaming :confused:

We agreed on a price, which was significantly below the normal retail price here making these an absolute bargain for what is a brand new headphone, and now I have yet another Beyerdynamic headphone for my collection :D. And it comes at a very opportune time as I was considering getting some full over-ear cans to keep my ears warm during the long dark winter commutes.

I'm actually quite surprised with these, as on the initial listen they sounded annoyingly close to my DT1770 Pros which cost 3 times as much retail, although the treble seems a touch peaky and unrefined in comparison.

Now for the question: what is really the difference between the standard DT770 pro 32 and the Limited Edition/Anniversary Edition version? Specs wise it seems the same and it also has the same pleather pads. In fact the only difference I can see is that it doesn't have the "Limited Edition" print on the earcups. Any ideas?

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #671 of 679
These come with pleathers? I rock the 80ohm LE but 770VB pads and straight cable. I much prefer pro band and coiled. Oh well , such is life. I'm surprised to the fellow who finds them better than 250ohm (which i dont have in 770 form anyway but in others) and well i always see the professionals wearing them (250), but i got 80 4 tha bassss

happy_face1.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #672 of 679
Dt770 Pro 250 can pump out serious bass with the right amp. But that is with the right amp, like my JDS C5D which is pretty powerful. Sure the 80's can do it much more easy across more products. Still need to have some a few sitdowns with my v20 and 770/250ohm. But I've been addicted to my new marantz pre amp's sound.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #673 of 679
I recently got a pair of these. Since this thread was probably last viewed, they released a version with the grey velour pads! They feel great. I'm liking the sound of these headphones overall, made me almost not believe how muddy and boomy my M50s. I'm hearing details I've never heard before. There's one thing that's bothering me though, and it's the vocals on some songs. I don't know if it's just that these headphones are revealing, but some vocals (in fact most I've heard) sound bright and almost metallic/cold/thin sounding, I don't know if that's how to describe it. I get the same feeling with some snare sounds, like they're more digital and thin sounding than they should be. This could just be me coming off of the M50's, where the dark quality of the headphones added warmth to the vocals. Of course, the sibilance issue is also there. Otherwise, I like the energy the treble provides. Cymbals sound great.

Keep in mind, this is my second pair of quality headphones, the first being the M50's, so maybe I didn't know what headphones like this are supposed to sound like, maybe I'm still getting used to a brighter sound? Maybe I'm hearing treble the way it's supposed to sound, and that these phones are just VERY accurate despite their v-shaped signature? They go the full range and they are probably more revealing. Perhaps a little more burn in will calm those issues down a bit. Also, I am listening on my MacBook and iPhone 7, the reason I got the 32 ohm version was so I wouldn't need to buy an amp...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #674 of 679
I recently got a pair of these. Since this thread was probably last viewed, they released a version with the grey velour pads! They feel great. I'm liking the sound of these headphones overall, made me almost not believe how muddy and boomy my M50s. I'm hearing details I've never heard before. There's one thing that's bothering me though, and it's the vocals on some songs. I don't know if it's just that these headphones are revealing, but some vocals (in fact most I've heard) sound bright and almost metallic/cold/thin sounding, I don't know if that's how to describe it. I get the same feeling with some snare sounds, like they're more digital and thin sounding than they should be. This could just be me coming off of the M50's, where the dark quality of the headphones added warmth to the vocals. Of course, the sibilance issue is also there. Otherwise, I like the energy the treble provides. Cymbals sound great.

Keep in mind, this is my second pair of quality headphones, the first being the M50's, so maybe I didn't know what headphones like this are supposed to sound like, maybe I'm still getting used to a brighter sound? Maybe I'm hearing treble the way it's supposed to sound, and that these phones are just VERY accurate despite their v-shaped signature? They go the full range and they are probably more revealing. Perhaps a little more burn in will calm those issues down a bit. Also, I am listening on my MacBook and iPhone 7, the reason I got the 32 ohm version was so I wouldn't need to buy an amp...

Well, it takes a while to get used to the sound signature of detailed HPs. I usually match my DT770PRO/32 against my X2 and often find it way better. Better imaging, defined highs, balanced sound signture with a little recessed mids. Sometimes I find its vocals a bit 'plastic' but it changes from recording to recording. X2 shows more definition on vocals but.. isn't the same. Mine sounded awsome on a iPhone 4s however I didn't listen it longer. My current source is Asus DGX -> Magni2U and it sounds amazingly balanced with full bodied sound.

I'm actually looking for an upgrade for my DT770. I'm looking for the same sound signature but... better overall. Can anyone recommend anything?

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #675 of 679
Well, it takes a while to get used to the sound signature of detailed HPs. I usually match my DT770PRO/32 against my X2 and often find it way better. Better imaging, defined highs, balanced sound signture with a little recessed mids. Sometimes I find its vocals a bit 'plastic' but it changes from recording to recording. X2 shows more definition on vocals but.. isn't the same. Mine sounded awsome on a iPhone 4s however I didn't listen it longer. My current source is Asus DGX -> Magni2U and it sounds amazingly balanced with full bodied sound.

I'm actually looking for an upgrade for my DT770. I'm looking for the same sound signature but... better overall. Can anyone recommend anything?
Thanks. I don't mind missing out on some things without an amp as long as they sound good through a regular phone or laptop. Just as long as I'm not missing out on too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back