Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Aug 5, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #646 of 679
Bodied doesn't mean as much as full bodied, if that is what you wanted to convey.  I have never seen the term used without a modifier but thin bodied is never used, so I guess you meant full bodied.  Sorry about the semantics but why did you leave bodied alone? did you do that intentionally ?

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #647 of 679
  Bodied doesn't mean as much as full bodied, if that is what you wanted to convey.  I have never seen the term used without a modifier but thin bodied is never used, so I guess you meant full bodied.  Sorry about the semantics but why did you leave bodied alone? did you do that intentionally ?

Bodied because the bass hits stronger but not always clean and punchy. DT770 has some kind of recessed mids so.. not full, rather bodied. =)
Recently I've bought a Xonar DX, I can't review it, though, since I couldn't test it yet. By its price, I think it's possible to both being similar as DAC, however E10K's features (as bass bost and gain switch) are a pleasant extra that is hard to beat for its price. I think you will be fine. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #649 of 679
Hi

I've got a DT770 recently and I really like its sound. but I have an annoying problem. It puts so much air pressure on my ears and it is like filling my ears with a mass.

1- Is it possible to make DT770 more ear-friendly with less air pressure?
2- I have a mild tinnitus. Is there any risk that the above-mentioned air pressure issue make my tinnitus worse & more severe?

Thanks in advance

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #650 of 679
  Hi

I've got a DT770 recently and I really like its sound. but I have an annoying problem. It puts so much air pressure on my ears and it is like filling my ears with a mass.

1- Is it possible to make DT770 more ear-friendly with less air pressure?
2- I have a mild tinnitus. Is there any risk that the above-mentioned air pressure issue make my tinnitus worse & more severe?

Thanks in advance

Anyone?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #651 of 679
  Anyone?

I don't know the answers to your questions. Also, this thread is specific to the Limited Edition 32-ohm version of the DT770 which has been discontinued. So not very active here. I didn't even realize I was still subscribed to it. You'd probably have a better response in a general DT770 thread.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #652 of 679

I don't know the answers to your questions. Also, this thread is specific to the Limited Edition 32-ohm version of the DT770 which has been discontinued. So not very active here. I didn't even realize I was still subscribed to it. You'd probably have a better response in a general DT770 thread.

Thanks, teofilrocks.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #653 of 679
Out of curiosity I swapped headphones with an office-mate who has a pair of Beats Studios, with sound cancellation. Interesting. For pop and solo stuff the Beats weren't bad, but then I put on some full orchestral stuff and found that there was no comparison. Rather than an open, precise, and clear sound I heard a big boomy muddle.  I was particularly struck by the difference in bass. Beats are said to have strong bass, but clearly "boomy" does not equal clear or controlled, and I'd even say that the power was missing. I tested this with Saint-Saens Organ symphony, the last movement of which has some amazing organ playing...super powerful and among the lowest notes in symphonic music. With my Beyers, it's a real pleasure to listen to, especially at the end when the organist is clearly stomping on those foot pedals and reaching for the bottom of the scale. WIth the Beats? I heard nothing remarkable, just noise.

I'd rate the Beats above any $40 headphone, I guess, but putting my Beyers back on was like removing one's foggy glasses, cleaning them, and then putting them back on.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #654 of 679

It is not a great comment on our more refined headphones that the Beats hung in there for so long!   I am beginning to think things really start to differentiate in the more expensive classes. I am unsure which direction to go in beyond what I have started to use more frequently which are not the DT 770s limited edition 32 ohm or not.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #655 of 679

It is not a great comment on our more refined headphones that the Beats hung in there for so long!   I am beginning to think things really start to differentiate in the more expensive classes. I am unsure which direction to go in beyond what I have started to use more frequently which are not the DT 770s limited edition 32 ohm or not.

I'm not sure I understand you.

There's a clear difference between the Beyers and the Beats.  And yet I think they cost roughly the same, which makes the Beats a terrible buy. They'd be ok if priced at, say, $99, but even then there are better. But they are good enough that someone who doesn't know better (i.e. hasn't listened to better) will be happy with what he bought and glad to have spent the money to upgrade over, say, iPhone ear buds.  

What's less clear to me is how much better even more expensive cans are compared to the DT770s. I suspect that the difference between the DT770s and cans that cost $100-200 more is much smaller than the difference between the DTs and the Beats.

I hope I didn't ruin my friend's enjoyment of his Beats by lending him my BDs. That wasn't my intention.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #656 of 679
I do wish I could listen to the LE version again. Owned them for a bit when they came out and sold them. Don't see too many come up for sale, though.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #659 of 679
About a year ago I purchased the v moda m100 and the dt770 32 ohm at the same time. I ended up returning the v moda. Both are incredibly good headphones for the money, and the v moda has the edge in terms of design and portability, but the dt770 has a sound I can't resist. Even as I continued to explore more expensive offerings from Beyer (T90s are my current workhorse), I kept coming back to the dt770. Clear highs and fantastic bass with a good amount of rumble, but not enough to shake your eyeballs out of your sockets. In comparison the v moda sounded more cramped. The upper registers of the headphones are in the same ballpark, but again, the dt770 has an addictive treble signature that's pretty unique.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #660 of 679
  About a year ago I purchased the v moda m100 and the dt770 32 ohm at the same time. I ended up returning the v moda. Both are incredibly good headphones for the money, and the v moda has the edge in terms of design and portability, but the dt770 has a sound I can't resist. Even as I continued to explore more expensive offerings from Beyer (T90s are my current workhorse), I kept coming back to the dt770. Clear highs and fantastic bass with a good amount of rumble, but not enough to shake your eyeballs out of your sockets. In comparison the v moda sounded more cramped. The upper registers of the headphones are in the same ballpark, but again, the dt770 has an addictive treble signature that's pretty unique.

Thanks for your reply. I currently have the M100 but the bass at times is just way too much for me on some types of songs/genres. I was looking for an alternative that isn't quite as bass heavy and has better mids. From your post it looks like the DT770 32 could fit that bill.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back