Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm for gaming?
Oct 22, 2016 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

melach

New Head-Fier
Now, I am aware that I can get a better headphone for gaming, but I wanna buy it because I like its design, and I prefer 80 ohm because I don't really want to use an amp. I prefer portability as well, so hopefully I can use it anywhere, and use it for my iphone and laptop too. I use an Asus Zenbook ux501 laptop in case that's important to know.

So I play a lot of games like LoL and Diablo 3, and I barely ever touch fps shooter games. So I'm wondering, would this headset work for these kinds of games I play? And do you think it's a good headset to use outside too, or does it rather fit indoor environemnts just for a studio? And in general, how is is the sound of the 80 ohm ver? And how's it for gaming? (With fps games as an exception) Help would be appreciated!

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 9
DT770 80-Ohm really needs to be used with a dedicated headphone amplifier, to sound their best.
Check out the Soundmagic HP150 headphones

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Hm, if that's the case I might as well just have to find other headphones. But how bad is the sound without an amplifier? I heard you don't need it with the 32 or 80 ohm version, and they are more fitting for mobile devices. Thanks for replying

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 9
The 80 ohm version is serviceable with some unamped sources, but I personally wouldn't want to use mine with a mobile device. They are quite large for outdoor use and I would worry that the velour pads would get dirty quickly from outdoor grime. Some people say that the "bloated bass" (the sub-bass has weight to it, but bloated is not the word I would personally use) can detract from the ability to pinpoint environmental cues in certain types of games. I'm not sure if FPS is the only genre that has that issue. They work well for atmospheric single-player games and movies, though.

I would characterize the sound as gently U-shaped, with powerful, but not overbearing sub-bass and a slight dip in the upper-bass, which takes some of the body out of certain mids, such as male voices (can be beneficial in some cases). If you're coming from a strongly V-shaped can, the range from mid-bass to lower-mids might sound a little thinned out or hollow in strange ways, and if you're coming from a neutral can, the sub-bass might be surprising.

Based on your criteria, I would either get the 32 ohm version or consider other headphones. I really enjoy my pair, but they don't leave the house, I don't use them with mobile phones, and I don't play games that require me to pick out quiet sounds.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 9
  Hm, if that's the case I might as well just have to find other headphones. But how bad is the sound without an amplifier? I heard you don't need it with the 32 or 80 ohm version, and they are more fitting for mobile devices. Thanks for replying

Technically all versions of the DT770 series do best when used with a decent headphone amplifier.
The 32-Ohm version of the DT770 is just the least power demanding of all versions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Guitar Center carries an even lower ohm version of the DT770-16 ohm(but dont quote me on the exact number)

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 9
  Guitar Center carries an even lower ohm version of the DT770-16 ohm(but dont quote me on the exact number)

Yep 16-Ohm.
Guessing Beyer took the drivers from the COPS and put them into the DT770 cups.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 9
  Okay, thanks guys, I've decided I'll go for the Audio Technica ATH-M50X!

Soundmagic HP150 would be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back