Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO! 250 ohm, 32 ohm, or 80 ohms?
Aug 22, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 73
Ever wondered why the 32-ohm is more expensive, despite having the cheap synthetic pads?
The answer is efficiency. Using less power, for similar results. They use higher grade materials.

The answer is, there's much less demand for the 32 Ohm than the rest of the line; hence, little competition in pricing.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 73
I second the claim that the whole Beyer-Dynamic line may be crap. 
I have 990 Pro - Open Back- 250 Ohm, and the bass response is useless to me. 
Driven by Universal Audio Apollo Twin, my old AKG 600 Ohm K141 Headphones are much more accurate. I guess their new models are even better down there. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 73

Hmm. That's a claim I wouldn't second if I were you, especially on your first post.

It may be a bold statement, but my relationship with my monitors is better than my relationship with my wife. DT 990 250 Ohm versus Neumann KH 310A in a professionally treated room. The bass response in those cans leave me feeling confused and disoriented. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #20 of 73

Hmm. That's a claim I wouldn't second if I were you, especially on your first post.

It may be a bold statement, but my relationship with my monitors is better than my relationship with my wife.

I hope she was aware of that before you posted it here, for all the world to see.  
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 73
I usually just browse head-fi out of interest, but I just had to make an account to give my take on this.

I own the DT-880 250 premium which I usually pair with either a FIIO E07K, my Denon CD-deck (an apparently my Denon AVR-2312 can't drive anything, doesn't matter if it's even small earbuds or 250 ohm cans), or directly from a high grade desktop motherboard.
I know they are not amped to their full potential, but it is a night and day between just a phone's output or a laptop. And the DT-880 sound "full" when i compare them with the ATH-M50 paired with a FIIO E07K or my motherboard.

I am pretty sure, that the Beyer Dynamic range is not crap. :D
Of course they are not like the Beyer T1, because they are a different price-range entirely, but for their price-point they outperform alot of headphones.
And of course they do have a certain sonic signature, like most brands of headphones.

I recently bought the DT-770 32 Ohm, and they do not sound worse or cheaper than the DT-880 250 Ohm. They are more bassy, but that is just their signature.
But even if they are easier to drive, they do however improve when amped by something with a bit more power than a smartphone.

I actually enjoy my 770 and 880 so much, that I have ordered the DT-990, just to have a completely open can.
Next up is the DT-1770 i guess...

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #22 of 73
  I actually enjoy my 770 and 880 so much, that I have ordered the DT-990, just to have a completely open can.

I think you may be disappointed. Though the 880 isn't a completely open can (or so Beyer tell us, though they never were an accurate source of info about their own cans) there's nothing about the sound to suggest it's anything other than completely open.  

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #23 of 73
After hearing the DT-990 i have to agree - they are not really any more open than the DT-880.

They do however have a vastly different sound. It is in all regards an "aggressive" version of the DT-880.
Alot of people have a hard time with the piering treble on the DT-990. I got used to it after about 10 minutes, but I doubt that I would be able to listen to music for more than 1-2 hours at a time before getting fatigued.

I am however very pleased with it, but if I had to have just one headphone, I would probably go with either the 880 or 770.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 73
Hi guys, I have read a lot of good things about this beyers. I bought some used and cheap beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm premium line. I bought mainly, because I wanted to use on my job travels, since my denons hp700 are wear, and my hifimans are absolutely not portable (and they leak a lot the sound). So I thought, why not try this beyers?
This days I have listen them, and I am a little dissapointed with them. They don't sound as bassy, crisp and clear as I was expecting. I don't know if it's because they are the premium line, or, because I have the hifimans (I really love these headphones). Nevertheless, I also love my denons (but they harm my ears when I have several hours listening).
My gear are an ipod classic 6th gen, fiio e17k and a pioneers sa 8500.
I am thinking in sell these dt770 premium and buy a brand new beyers dt770 80 ohm, and if they dont meet my expectations just returning it. What do you guys recomend? Cheers

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 73
I think the Fiio e17K might be struggling with a 250Ohm Beyer.
Nevertheless it should be sufficient to give an almost decent sound.

If you compare a DT-770 with a Hifiman, which is probably twice the price, then you will no doubt be disappointed by the DT-770.
I am not sure that you will get a vastly different sound when switching to a different Ohm-model. You can read about the different sound signatures of the models here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

But keep in mind, that even that guide starts out with letting you know that the differences are not as massive as many head-fi members will sometimes claim.

I earlier wrote about the differences between the DT-770 and DT-990, and now i actually prefer the DT-990. If you can find a music shop you can probably try them out. They are open, however, which might not meet your travel needs.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #26 of 73
I think the Fiio e17K might be struggling with a 250Ohm Beyer.
Nevertheless it should be sufficient to give an almost decent sound.

If you compare a DT-770 with a Hifiman, which is probably twice the price, then you will no doubt be disappointed by the DT-770.
I am not sure that you will get a vastly different sound when switching to a different Ohm-model. You can read about the different sound signatures of the models here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

But keep in mind, that even that guide starts out with letting you know that the differences are not as massive as many head-fi members will sometimes claim.

I earlier wrote about the differences between the DT-770 and DT-990, and now i actually prefer the DT-990. If you can find a music shop you can probably try them out. They are open, however, which might not meet your travel needs.

Hi sludge. Sorry for the bother...

I have a dt770 80ohm and although not disappointed i was expecting a little bit different sound sig.... somethong maybe a bit more agressive and punchy like an hd25 or m50x with added room and confort. are thr dt990s what i am looking for?

Cheers

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #27 of 73
Hi sludge. Sorry for the bother...

I have a dt770 80ohm and although not disappointed i was expecting a little bit different sound sig.... somethong maybe a bit more agressive and punchy like an hd25 or m50x with added room and confort. are thr dt990s what i am looking for?

Cheers

The DT990 are an aggressive variant of the DT770. By aggressive I think you mean a more V-shaped sound signature with crisp highs and deep bass?
I also have the ATH-M50, and it is somewhere in between the DT770 and DT990, at least to my ears.
The fit and room in the DT990s is the same as the DT770. I never even use my ATH-M50 anymore, mostly because of their lack in comfort. Their small sound stage was however really great for technical death metal.

But keep in mind, that some people find the highs on the DT990 too aggressive and ear-piercing. This will be better once you get used to it and/or they get some burn-in time. But they do sound fantastic with many different types of music and they even sound really good when watching movies or playing computer games because of their open soundstage.

And remember that the DT990 are open-backed, so you will not be able to use them on an airplane or public transportation.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #28 of 73
The DT990 are an aggressive variant of the DT770. By aggressive I think you mean a more V-shaped sound signature with crisp highs and deep bass?
I also have the ATH-M50, and it is somewhere in between the DT770 and DT990, at least to my ears.
The fit and room in the DT990s is the same as the DT770. I never even use my ATH-M50 anymore, mostly because of their lack in comfort. Their small sound stage was however really great for technical death metal.

But keep in mind, that some people find the highs on the DT990 too aggressive and ear-piercing. This will be better once you get used to it and/or they get some burn-in time. But they do sound fantastic with many different types of music and they even sound really good when watching movies or playing computer games because of their open soundstage.

And remember that the DT990 are open-backed, so you will not be able to use them on an airplane or public transportation.

I mean something that has puchy bass like the hd25 and m50x... I also like the highs and mids of the hd25 and m50x....

Before buying my 80ohm dt770 i briefly tried a 250 ohm one and that version yes i found it to be a bit steryle. Very pronounced highs. The dt990 is even worse?

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #29 of 73
Thanks @Sludge. I am posting my experiences on the forum of help and recommendations. So, I just don't wanna make double posting. But, just to informed, I've using extensively, and I've noted (maybe my ear was accustomed to the Hifimans to much) that the Beyers have improved notably. I have tested with my pioneer SA amp, and they sound definitely better than my Denons. I'm pretty much sure that they will never be best than the Hifiman's, but I was expecting from them more (until now they've made a good evolution).

Another important area, where I am expecting from them a good performance is in games. I have not try yet, but I will. I really want to keep these, they look very nice, very sturdy, and as the premium version, is not easy to find since they are discontinued.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #30 of 73
I mean something that has puchy bass like the hd25 and m50x... I also like the highs and mids of the hd25 and m50x....

Before buying my 80ohm dt770 i briefly tried a 250 ohm one and that version yes i found it to be a bit steryle. Very pronounced highs. The dt990 is even worse?

Yes, the highs in the dt990s are more pronounced than with the dt770. But once you get used to it, you might consider this to be a good thing. I know that i sure do, but it does take a little getting used to, and the highs will calm down a little bit after a couple of days. I am not sure if this is due to burn in or if you just get used to them, though. :)

I do know that i clearly like the dt990 better than the dt770 now. But I do switch a little between dt770, dt880 and dt990 based on my mood and how engaging i want the music to be.
I consider the dt880 to be the most neutral, which is really good with classical music or if you do not want the music to be owerpowering to what you are doing. The dt770 is a little less neutral and the dt990 is not neutral at all and has the most v-shaped signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back