Beyerdynamic DT 770 (M) for a BASSIST?
Mar 12, 2007 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

endy

New Head-Fier
I have narrowed my headphone search down to the Beyerdynamic dt770 series but don't know whether to get the dt770pro-80 or dt770m.

The 'M' model has more isolation for drummers but would these still be good for me as a bassist if I want more isolation? Any other differences I would notice between the two models?

I will mostly always be using the headphones for transcibing/learning basslines with a Tascam Portable Bass Trainer that allows me to play my bass and CD's at the same time. I live in NYC and often am trying to work in noisy situations, ie when my roommates dog is having hour long barking fits.

770-M
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...hms?sku=272023
770-Pro80
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...5&src=3SOSWXXA

Thanks for any advice.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 27
Well, M version has bit recessed bass. DT770 Pro is known for its deeeeeep and prominent bass, but Im not sure if its sharp enough for serious and carefull bassline listening.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 27
I am worried about the same thing. Boomy bass is no good, I'd much rather have clarity.

If not the dt770's is there a better choice for closed headphones and critical listening of basslines?

I spend a lot of time working with my bass and songs (often still in 'demo' form) like I mentioned so a good setup is critical.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 27
Well, Sony MDR-V6 (or MDR-7506) is sort of popular in budget-studio category. They are closed and have good sharp sound from what I have gathered. I presume that is quite safe choice.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 27
I already own a pair of sony mdr-v600's and I am looking for something with better performance and best suited for my use. Also, I have owned other more expensive Sony's in the past for DJing and they all broke in less then 4months.

I am not necessarily on a budget, price is a consideration but low on the list as I work in the music industry and wont be paying anywhere near full price.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by endy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already own a pair of sony mdr-v600's and I am looking for something with better performance and best suited for my use. Also, I have owned other more expensive Sony's in the past for DJing and they all broke in less then 4months.

I am not necessarily on a budget, price is a consideration but low on the list as I work in the music industry and wont be paying anywhere near full price.

No no no. NOT V600. V6 is totally different headphone. V600 and similar are... piece of crap in audiophile terms.
Here is V6. Read the reviews.
http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...headphoneId=74

V6/7506 and Sonys SA*000 line are only worthy headphones from Sony that are also affordable. And R10 "the king" is totally different animal, but also... quite pricey. Rest are quite bad. V6 is very strong, you can almost literally bash it to wall without without breaking them. They are designed for studio use afterall.

For more expensive stuff, Ultrasone line are perhaps worthy. Some of their headphones are also popular in studio enviroment, but I have no personal experience with them. Proline 750 is closed and detailing should be superb, but even if its closed, isolation isnt reported to be very good.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 27
I dont know anything about different versions, but V6 and MDR-7506. Same headphones, but MDR-7506 has gold plated plug. No real differences in sound.

Original V6 many MANY years ago was made in Japan, and later the production was moved to China, IIRC. The original ones had a better sound, or so they say. Might be placebo too though. Anyway, originals are about impossible to get. It was so long ago.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
were the blue labeled ones originals? the new ones are red?

If you are talking about the name tag in the cans, blue labeled ones are MDR-7506 (it reads Professional in them) and red ones are V6. (reads Digital) As I said, there should be no real differences between them. Old ones and new ones should look same.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 27
I play some bassguitar and have the beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, which I like a lot for listening to recorded basslines/ tracks. In fact I think it's the best to reproduce the sound of the bassguitar. I normally use the Sennheiser HD 280 pro when recording though, just because it makes med hear the fingers attack on the strings much better. I have tried the DT 770 PRO but found it difficult to put down fast basslines, as it would never be tight enough for me.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play some bassguitar and have the beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, which I like a lot for listening to recorded basslines/ tracks. In fact I think it's the best to reproduce the sound of the bassguitar. I normally use the Sennheiser HD 280 pro when recording though, just because it makes med hear the fingers attack on the strings much better. I have tried the DT 770 PRO but found it difficult to put down fast basslines, as it would never be tight enough for me.

Yeah, HD280 is another choice. Sort of Sennheiser equivalent for V6. I didnt recommend it though cuz I have no idea how accurate and heardable are the bass sounds.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, HD280 is another choice. Sort of Sennheiser equivalent for V6. I didnt recommend it though cuz I have no idea how accurate and heardable are the bass sounds.

I've read (but havn't listened) that HD280 bass frequency response is lacking. For example, see http://dansdata.com/hd280.htm
While I havn't burned-in my DT770-pro80 enough, I already enjoy music and picking some buried bass lines with them. But I think that I'll continue late night practicing with the HD212Pro because of their more upfront bass (with 770+iBasso P1 amplification, I don't perceive them as such a bass monster, and can't confirm a problem with recessed mids). Practicing with cheaper headphone that has detatchable cable has some advantages for me, as I always tangle with headphone cables when playing bass, no matter how I sit, even when putting the headphone cable behind my back. I'll need to recheck movability/lightness of 212 vs 770 again (not at home right now) but obviously the 770 are much more comfortable for longer sessions.
Edit: A week later and I start to understand the 770 bass better - it reaches much lower than before, and in a more "refined" manner than the 212 (maybe 212 enhances only upper mid-bass???). I think that maybe separating a bassists home practice objectives into 1. transcribing 2. performing, would map the 770 for task #1 and the 212 for task #2. The 212 are lighter and tighter, I can even headbang when using them while the 770 velour pads, even with tightest adjustable grip may slide around. Add that to their more distant but larger soundstage, and I find them more suitable for laid-back analytical bass listening, but not for amp-less "shredding" sessions.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 27
I was considering HD280's before and I am leaning towards them again because of there 32db outside sound attenuation. I need to cut out a lot of background noise like a electric heater running in my room, dog barking, people talking, roommates playing music, etc.

I couldn't find any info about the Sony's sound reduction. They reviews sound great and they seem like just what I need except they don't cut out background noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back