Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,083 of 4,768
Elite velour and new foam is my favorite

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,084 of 4,768
Its so good that beyer even copied elite velours and put it with the new foam ob the dt 700 and dt 900

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,085 of 4,768
I think the choice should come down to fenestrated vs velour, if I'm not mistaken. Not much love for the suede or hybrids with the 1990s
I have the elite hybrids on the 1990s and I'm very happy with it. It increased the bass while taming the 8khz spike a noticeable amount. They retain much of the character of the stock pad(s) while adding and subtracting just where I like it. I am going to try the velour pads shortly though.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #4,086 of 4,768
Hey guys.

I have a T1. G1 and I find it a fantastic headset paired with my Darkvoice.

I've been thinking a lot about getting a DT1990Pro, especially in view of so many comments praising the DT1990 over the T1.

But my question is: I have two amplifiers. An Arcam rHead, class A solid state amp, and a Darkvoice with several rare and very good tubes.

If I pair the T1 with the Arcam rHead, even though the Arcam is a $600 amp, the T1 is kind of shiny and boring.

But when I pair Darkvoice with the right tubes, the T1 sings.

So people who say the DT1990PRO is better than the T1 are pairing the T1 with solid state amplifiers?

I would like to know the opinions of people who had the chance to compare the T1 with DT1990 in tube amps to know the thoughts.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #4,087 of 4,768
Hey guys.

I've been thinking a lot about getting a DT1990Pro, especially in view of so many comments praising the DT1990 over the T1.

But my question is: I have two amplifiers. An Arcam rHead, class A solid state amp, and a Darkvoice with several rare and very good tubes.

If I pair the T1 with the Arcam rHead, even though the Arcam is a $600 amp, the T1 is kind of shiny and boring.

So people who say the DT1990PRO is better than the T1 are pairing the T1 with solid state amplifiers?

I would like to know the opinions of people who had the chance to compare the T1 with DT1990 in tube amps to know the thoughts.
I haven't tried the T1 yet though it's very much on my list to try next. I run my DT1990s on a BHC with RCA 6AS7G Blackplates for the power tube and a Valvo branded Mullard 12AU7 for the input tube. The sound is superb. It's a perfect match so I can at least attest that the 1990s matches great with OTL tube amps. It sounds great on the Schiit Valhalla also though I prefer it slightly more on the BHC since its warmer tone is a better match with the 1990 to my ears. I hope to go get my ears on a T1 soon.

I've also tried the 1990 on a Schiit Lyr, Sansui AU-719, and Little Dot 1+ also. It sounds excellent on all but to my ears it's best on the BHC.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,088 of 4,768
Hey guys.

The DT 1990 is more neutral, more dynamic, upfront, full-bodied, and less bright than the T1 Gen 1. This is especially the case with the balanced pads in terms of dynamics, with the analytical pads it's a bit closer to the Gen 1 but not quite as lean and bright if I recall right. The T1 Gen 2 is warmer, more laid-back and more akin to the Amiron Home in tuning, which is warm with some brightness. The T1 Gen 3 is very warm and dynamic. The DT 1990 will pair better with solid state amps than the T1 Gen 1 but it also also pairs nicely with tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #4,089 of 4,768
I haven't tried the T1 yet though it's very much on my list to try next. I run my DT1990s on a BHC with RCA 6AS7G Blackplates for the power tube and a Valvo branded Mullard 12AU7 for the input tube. The sound is superb. It's a perfect match so I can at least attest that the 1990s matches great with OTL tube amps. It sounds great on the Schiit Valhalla also though I prefer it slightly more on the BHC since its warmer tone is a better match with the 1990 to my ears. I hope to go get my ears on a T1 soon.

I've also tried the 1990 on a Schiit Lyr, Sansui AU-719, and Little Dot 1+ also. It sounds excellent on all but to my ears it's best on the BHC.

From your answer it seems that the DT 1990 Pro scaled a bit on the BHC in relation to the other amps you've tested/used.

T1 scaled a lot in Darkvoice compared to Arcam rHead. Very much. It doesn't even sound like the same phone.

That's why my curiosity in comparing T1 vs 1990 in tubes.

I've tested many tube combinations in Darkvoice with the T1 and some of those combinations work magic with the T1.

For example: Chatham 6as7g and TS 6j5g(t); Bendix 6080 and Gec L63 gray glass; Mullard 6080 and Fivre 6C5G; Tung-Sol 6080 and Melz 1578, among other combinations.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #4,090 of 4,768
From your answer it seems that the DT 1990 Pro scaled a bit on the BHC in relation to the other amps you've tested/used.

T1 scaled a lot in Darkvoice compared to Arcam rHead. Very much. It doesn't even sound like the same phone.

That's why my curiosity in comparing T1 vs 1990 in tubes.

I've tested many tube combinations in Darkvoice with the T1 and some of those combinations work magic with the T1.

For example: Chatham 6as7g and TS 6j5g(t); Bendix 6080 and Gec L63 gray glass; Mullard 6080 and Fivre 6C5G; Tung-Sol 6080 and Melz 1578, among other combinations.
I'm not sure if it's a scalability thing versus the sound signature of a particular amp matching up with the sound signature of the headphone better. The 1990 does scale well, no doubt about that. I wouldn't say the BHC is on another level over the Sansui AU-719 however in terms of overall performance. The cerca 70s/early 80s vintage receivers and integrateds were built to very high standards and most have excellent headphone stages (especially for higher impedance dynamic cans which there was a predominance of at that time). If you never heard a higher impedance dynamic driver can on one of the quality receivers/integrateds from that era from the likes of Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Tandberg, etc., you should do yourself a favor and do so. I guess that's a long-winded way of saying the warmer, lusher tone of the BHC matches better with the 1990 than the more neutral (but still warm) tuning of the Sansui. Both are technically excellent amps.

A good case in point is I also have the Amiron which also uses the 250 ohm Tesla driver like the T1 and 1990. It has a smoother, warmer tuning than the 1990 with thicker mid-bass and more relaxed highs. To my ears the Amiron matches better with the Sansui and Schiit Lyr than the BHC. The Amiron becomes a little loose and sloppy bass-wise with the BHC crack while the bass is better damped and controlled with the Sansui and Lyr.

Nice collection of tubes btw! I was also looking at the Darkvoice but found a good deal locally on the BHC. The Chatham 6SA7G is on my list of tubes to try.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #4,092 of 4,768
I find it rather amusing how you are using aftermarket foam discs and pads to alter the DT1990s’ fundamental character. This will fail. The 1990s are bright, analytical monitoring headphones. That is what they do. It’s like saying a 911 GT3 sucks off road!

I’m leaving mine absolutely stock. If I want “neutral” headphones, I reach for the R70x. If I need “musical” ones, it’s the W1000z…

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,093 of 4,768
1983-Porsche-911SC-Safari-0-Site-Hero.jpg

Not a GT3, but...

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,094 of 4,768
I find it rather amusing how you are using aftermarket foam discs and pads to alter the DT1990s’ fundamental character. This will fail. The 1990s are bright, analytical monitoring headphones. That is what they do. It’s like saying a 911 GT3 sucks off road!

I’m leaving mine absolutely stock. If I want “neutral” headphones, I reach for the R70x. If I need “musical” ones, it’s the W1000z…

Couldn't agree more. I'm also leaving mine untouched and paired with Analytical pads, they're just perfect that way.

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #4,095 of 4,768

Problem with the argument is there are two sets of stock pads on the DT 1990 which are fundamentally different, with analytical pads it's a bright/analytical monitoring headphone. But with the balanced pads it's more of a fun sound honestly. The two pairs I had came with the balanced pads pre-installed. Not sure if they still come with the balanced pads pre-installed, but all earlier DT 1990's came with the balanced pads installed out of the box which indicates to me the balanced pads were likely intended as the main pads when the headphone was released.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back