Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #3,736 of 4,756
hi, the right driver on my dt1990 is failing, can you guys confirm they have the same driver as the dt1770? I want to replace them myself, but the TESLA drivers on beyer's website are listed only for the dt1770 and the Amiron home... if that's the same driver I can get them and replace them right away

It is the same driver, the only difference between the 1990 and 1770 is one is open and one is closed.
The pads you get with them are also a littlebit different but interchangeable.

On my first 1770 the right driver also failed, i send it back to the seller and got a replacement within 3 days.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,737 of 4,756
I soldered a custom cable for this headphone. They are used for music production so I wanted permanent 1/4" jacks. The lightweight cables were an added bonus.

Cable: Mogami W3031
Connectors: Neutrik NP3X-B, Neutrik Rean RT3FC-B

yuinp2hx0z761.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #3,738 of 4,756
I have read through this thread and there are references here and there for the mojo and the idsd.

I am currently looking at a few options for use with my dt 1990 pro and I was hoping someone may have some actual first hand experience with them with the dt1990. I have heard all 4 but with different headphones and months apart.

Chord mojo
Idsd micro black label
Chord Hugo 2
Woo audio wa8.

The last 2 are a little out landish but from my memory the wa8 is the best or was at the time I listened to it briefly transportable DAC amp.

If you have any other suggestions I will take them. Needs to be transportable (USB or battery powered)

Dec 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,739 of 4,756
I have read through this thread and there are references here and there for the mojo and the idsd.

I am currently looking at a few options for use with my dt 1990 pro and I was hoping someone may have some actual first hand experience with them with the dt1990. I have heard all 4 but with different headphones and months apart.

Chord mojo
Idsd micro black label
Chord Hugo 2
Woo audio wa8.

The last 2 are a little out landish but from my memory the wa8 is the best or was at the time I listened to it briefly transportable DAC amp.

If you have any other suggestions I will take them. Needs to be transportable (USB or battery powered)
What about daps ?

That woo audio dac. I mean comon for 1700 dollar you can get a better sounding and driveable headphone and a good portable dac amp and result in a better experience

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,740 of 4,756
What about daps ?

That woo audio dac. I mean comon for 1700 dollar you can get a better sounding and driveable headphone and a good portable dac amp and result in a better experience

Suggestions of such headphones and DAC/amp?
Fwiw the dt 1990 pro are at the limit of the weight my neck can handle without getting neck pain and headaches.

I also know I could get a desktop amp to sound as good or better than the wa8, space however is a premium also.

I have owned many daps and most of the ones I have tried recently are too bright sounding for the dt1990 pro (for me at least)

Do the dt1990 react well to valve amps?

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,741 of 4,756
Suggestions of such headphones and DAC/amp?
Fwiw the dt 1990 pro are at the limit of the weight my neck can handle without getting neck pain and headaches.

I also know I could get a desktop amp to sound as good or better than the wa8, space however is a premium also.

I have owned many daps and most of the ones I have tried recently are too bright sounding for the dt1990 pro (for me at least)

Do the dt1990 react well to valve amps?
The better variant of the 1990 is the focal clear its easier to drive you could even driver it from your phone i dont know where you are livin in germany you can get the clear at around 1000-1400 euro you could combine it with a chord mojo or ifi black label

But i wouldt buy a portable headphone amp dac for either both are open backs. I use the rme adi 2 fs for my 1990

I personaly use inears for portable you can get a fiio btr 5 and a good in ear

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #3,742 of 4,756
The better variant of the 1990 is the focal clear its easier to drive you could even driver it from your phone i dont know where you are livin in germany you can get the clear at around 1000-1400 euro you could combine it with a chord mojo or ifi black label

But i wouldt buy a portable headphone amp dac for either both are open backs. I use the rme adi 2 fs for my 1990

I personaly use inears for portable you can get a fiio btr 5 and a good in ear

Thanks for the reply.
Here in Australia the clear are 3x the cost of the dt 1990. I have owned the elear and wasn't a fan of the comfort so kind of ruled out the rest of the focal lineup. I actually found my old lcd2 more comfortable than the elear

I need a transportable setup that I can use at a desktop as I have no static listening space. Sometimes it's an office desk, sometimes the couch, kitchen or in bed. So for me transportable is important. Doesn't need to be portable in the practical sense just something I can easily move about the house. Thus similarly open back is not an issue as it's not strictly portable use case. For the occasional portable listening I have sony wireless in ears and shozy iems.

I am thinking I may just get the idsd black label and pocket the cash for a second pair of headphones.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,743 of 4,756
Thanks for the reply.
Here in Australia the clear are 3x the cost of the dt 1990. I have owned the elear and wasn't a fan of the comfort so kind of ruled out the rest of the focal lineup. I actually found my old lcd2 more comfortable than the elear

I need a transportable setup that I can use at a desktop as I have no static listening space. Sometimes it's an office desk, sometimes the couch, kitchen or in bed. So for me transportable is important. Doesn't need to be portable in the practical sense just something I can easily move about the house. Thus similarly open back is not an issue as it's not strictly portable use case. For the occasional portable listening I have sony wireless in ears and shozy iems.

I am thinking I may just get the idsd black label and pocket the cash for a second pair of headphones.
Ok i understand. I think i would get the black label it has a good amount of output power and the 1990 needs it to get punch and weight

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #3,745 of 4,756
Saw this on Reddit, thought I'd share:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/kndsjg/i_converted_my_beyerdynamic_dt_1770_pro_to_dt/

DT-1770 Pro owner bought outer cup replacements from Beyer for the DT-1990, and installed them. I thought it was novel. :)
That's one of those it's-so-simple-I-should-have-thought-of-it-myself ideas. I've been wondering about the DT 1770 and Amiron for a while but have never wanted to spend the money. I wonder if the cups/pads are really the only differences?

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3,746 of 4,756
That's one of those it's-so-simple-I-should-have-thought-of-it-myself ideas. I've been wondering about the DT 1770 and Amiron for a while but have never wanted to spend the money. I wonder if the cups/pads are really the only differences?

I've personally owned all three and I found the drivers in each to sound different when I swapped them. It could be driver variance but I could tell the difference quite easily.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,747 of 4,756
I've personally owned all three and I found the drivers in each to sound different when I swapped them. It could be driver variance but I could tell the difference quite easily.
According to the replies to the Reddit post, Beyerdynamic sells the same replacement driver for DT 1770, 1990, and Amiron. Of course, I can't find that part on either the North America or global sites.

EDIT: Ahh. Looked at the Europe site: 1770 and Amiron Home use the same driver, but no spare drivers for 1990 on the site. Spare cups for 1770 and 1990, but no spare cups for AH. It seems like they're on to me.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,748 of 4,756
According to the replies to the Reddit post, Beyerdynamic sells the same replacement driver for DT 1770, 1990, and Amiron. Of course, I can't find that part on either the North America or global sites.

That's what I heard too but not sure how true it is, my personal experience with two different Amiron Homes, two DT 1990's, and a DT 1770 showed me the drivers sound a bit different. Could be variances as each were made in different batches but they could also be tuned a little differently too.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #3,749 of 4,756
No, it's variance. Buy several DT1770 units and you'll hear minor differences between them all. Other head-fiers have noticed their somewhat loose quality control.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #3,750 of 4,756
I think its not the same driver there are different part numbers for the 1770 and 1990 driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back