Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #3,691 of 4,768
Uhhh... After reading more than 100pages of this thread i can't get to decide about which ear pads from dekoni to get... I am using analytical pads and I prefer them over the balanced.
I do have heavily eq'd them and works with almost every genre i listen to. Sometimes I do remove a couple db on bass if the genre is more bassy..

So, the million dollar question.
Swap pads? If so which one?
Swap headphones???? O.o
if you are happy just keep it how it is. but what i can say is order the new foam disc from the tygr 300 they reduce the 8.5k peak and add a bass shelf like what you are doing with your eq

with a pads and and the new foam you could reduce your eq to just the bass shelf

With elite velour and new foam you could reduce your eq nearly complete.

but people with thinner heads loose the attack decay of the 1990 compared to the a pads with dekoni pads because they dont get the driver near enough to thier ear because they are Thicker padded like stock ones

Measurement.jpg

Red line = New Foam + A Pad

Green line = Stock B Pads

Blue line = Elite Velour + New Foam

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #3,692 of 4,768
Awesome!!! Thank you for the detailed response!! :)

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #3,693 of 4,768
stock vs pad.jpg

i dont have measurements of a stock at the moment but here you can see what the foam does on the b pads

Red line new foam

Blue line stock

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,694 of 4,768
Awesome!!! Thank you for the detailed response!! :)
you are welcome.

the eq i used as i had the dt 1990 stock was nearly the same you use at the moment thats why i think you will like foam disc with or without dekonis

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,695 of 4,768
Yeah, thank you very much. I will try it out no doubt.
Do you guys have any opinion in full sheepskin, hybrid or fenestrated?
I read somewhere the full skin was too muddy...
I would love a type of earpad like audeze use on LCD-2,x and 3. Just for the extra comfort. Although it may be true and become really dull.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #3,696 of 4,768
I would love a type of earpad like audeze use on LCD-2,x and 3. Just for the extra comfort. Although it may be true and become really dull.

elite velour are the truest to the stock sound just more comfy i prefer them over a and b pads. There is also the option for hybrids but there is also a heavy eq involved to get them sound right

you have the problem with attack decay with all dekonis because they are all a bit more padded like the stock pads

I think elite velour + new foam will work for you because the result is similar to your eq

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,697 of 4,768
Thank you again. Will give it a try. :)

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #3,698 of 4,768
Mine arrived today. Really like them so far. So far I’m ok with stock sound. I think I have some hearing loss in high frequencies so maybe that’s why they sound great to me!

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #3,699 of 4,768
The instrument seperation is insane on these headphones. So much detail.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3,700 of 4,768
I use the Hybrids + some EQ love to bring them to the A pad sound signature.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #3,701 of 4,768
Dec 10, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #3,702 of 4,768
More on pads: will buy fenestrated & hybrid. The elite valour will come next.

Anybody has compared dt 1990 against lcd-x?
I may buy second hand lcd-x

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #3,704 of 4,768
this is my experience also.
Ive ordered the elite hybrids pads but I’m kind of getting to like them with analytical pads. If I’m tired and want a more relaxed listen I lower the 8k treble peak

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #3,705 of 4,768
Ive ordered the elite hybrids pads but I’m kind of getting to like them with analytical pads. If I’m tired and want a more relaxed listen I lower the 8k treble peak

I actually got the elite hybrids to try with my dt880 when I eventually get them back from a friend.
Trying them on the dt1990 I found the soundstage and comfort to improve, but I found cymbals and sibilence in general unbearable.
I like both the analytical and balanced pads but I simply can’t listen to the elite velours. I also have some tygrs here so I am going to play around with the foam in front of the driver from the tygr on the dt1990, might even try the tygr pads on there.

Why not? :p. Worst case I go back to the stock pads that I like anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back