Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #3,317 of 4,756
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #3,319 of 4,756
Yeah I’m sure. Just whether it was a necessary buy when my id14 was “fine” power wise
You can still send it back but i would give them a try first

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #3,321 of 4,756
Which amp would you suggest? Would a Schiit Magni 3+ be sufficient?
Magni 3 has the same output power as the hersey

The main difference is that the magni sound more musical and the hersey more clean

There is also the jds atom at that price range

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3,322 of 4,756
Yeah I’m sure. Just whether it was a necessary buy when my id14 was “fine” power wise
Heresy have lots of clean power. It's currently best measuring cheap amp with tons of power. That's a good buy. For comparison it has 25x more power than Ifi zen dac and it's way more cleaner. Heresy has more single ended power than even thx 789 amp.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,323 of 4,756
Heresy have lots of clean power. It's currently best measuring cheap amp with tons of power. That's a good buy. For comparison it has 25x more power than Ifi zen dac and it's way more cleaner. Heresy has more single ended power than even thx 789 amp.
If someone wanted a 789 but with a stronger SE port, then they should get a SP200

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,324 of 4,756
Hi, I'm considering the DT 1990 Pro or the HiFiMan Ananda. The 1990 has far superior build quality and reliability it seems. Ananda appears flimsly incomparison. My main use would be non competitive gaming and music (soundtrack, electronic, ambient).I currently have a Fidelio X2 which I can't really fault and is built like a tank.

How does the 1990 compare to the Ananda? There's nowhere nearby to demo them.

Thank you

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #3,325 of 4,756
Hi, I'm considering the DT 1990 Pro or the HiFiMan Ananda. The 1990 has far superior build quality and reliability it seems. Ananda appears flimsly incomparison. My main use would be non competitive gaming and music (soundtrack, electronic, ambient).I currently have a Fidelio X2 which I can't really fault and is built like a tank.

Thank you

I think you will have more fun gaming with the 1990 and its anyway the better value of these two

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #3,326 of 4,756

Thank you
DT1990 all the way. My main use for the DT1990 today is gaming and is amazing.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #3,327 of 4,756

Thank you
Well i've answered your question in Ananda thread but since you give more information here i can say Ananda is much better for you. For that type of music and non competitive gaming Ananda have great immersion. For competitive games i recommend 1990. It has very focused soundstage and imaging. Ananda have big and deep soundstage so it's imaging is challenged more. This is advantage in music though. It gives beautiful and rich imaging. But for competitive games i prefer preciseness of 1990. It does the job.

I've used Fidelio X2 a lot too. These two much better than Fidelio. But 1990 might feel a bit claustrophobic after Fidelio. Big downgrade to soundstage.

Edit: Since you value build quality and have a budget of Ananda you might consider T1.2 from Beyer as well. I heard that it has more agreeable sound, better technicalities and bigger soundstage than 1990. Some T1.2 users might chime in to share their experiences. I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,328 of 4,756
Well i've answered your question in Ananda thread but since you give more information here i can say Ananda is much better for you. For that type of music and non competitive gaming Ananda have great immersion. For competitive games i recommend 1990. It has very focused soundstage and imaging. Ananda have big and deep soundstage so it's imaging is challenged more. This is advantage in music though. It gives beautiful and rich imaging. But for competitive games i prefer preciseness of 1990. It does the job.

I've used Fidelio X2 a lot too. These two much better than Fidelio. But 1990 might feel a bit claustrophobic after Fidelio. Big downgrade to soundstage.

Edit: Since you value build quality and have a budget of Ananda you might consider T1.2 from Beyer as well. I heard that it has more agreeable sound, better technicalities and bigger soundstage than 1990. Some T1.2 users might chime in to share their experiences. I have no experience with it.
how does the bass compare between these two ?

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3,329 of 4,756
how does the bass compare between these two ?
1990 bass much more impactful and present, mid-high bass is boosted. Ananda extends better down to subbass, more even and balanced, have more detail and unique presentation. Very different presentations. Ananda bass is like a subwoofer in a room but not much impactful. 1990 bass is more like hitting from earcups left and right. 1990 bass is more visceral, fast, dynamic, energetic, impactful.

I'd say Ananda bass is natural and detailed but lacks a bit of impact, 1990 bass is colored and fun(depends on music). Don't get me wrong Ananda have lots of bass. It's not bass light. Despite having lots of bass it doesn't overwhelm and mask anything. It's a bit different with it's huge planar diaphragm. More transparent and see through bass. Very clean and distortionless.

DT1990 with balanced pads very engaging and fun headphone but extremely fatiguing. Ananda is more mature headphone and have more comfortable sound and build.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #3,330 of 4,756
So how are these for multi genre listening with a Hugo 2. The only thing that worries me is the treble peaks mentioned in reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back