Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,301 of 4,756
I find the Dekoni pads very comfortable, at least the Velour and Hybrid. I wear my headphones all day, and I don't have any overheating, sweat, or rubbing against my ears issues. Plus the memory foam is very form fitting for my eyeglass frames.
Which Dekoni pads are you using? @Chastity

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #3,302 of 4,756
Which Dekoni pads are you using? @Chastity
Currently using the Hybrids. When tuning your headphones, it can be difficult getting it perfect because as you adjust for one thing, some other aspect decreases in response. Using EQ and tubes alone forces the driver to do all the work. In my case, I used the passive benefits of the Hybrids to do the bass boosting, and frees up my EQ to do some mild changes to the mids and highs, so I can get everything I want without compromise or clipping. (By EQ'ing too much and reducing the dynamic range)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #3,303 of 4,756
Excited here in Ventura, CA! Bought a DT1990 from Amazon with a stated delivery date, for the past several days of Fri 7/24. Checked tracking for an update and it's out for delivery today, Thurs 7/16, 8 days early! :) I also have Dekoni Elite Velour pads arriving today. It was suggested to me here to try the Analytic pads before the Elite Velours. I read earlier here that when using the Dekoni pads they should be mounted covering the mounting ring rather than the normal mounting on the mounting ring? If anybody knows, is this correct? Also, can the mounting rings be removed for mounting pads, like I was able to do with my DT1770? Should I even bother with changing pads during initial listening, before they are "burned-in"? My DT1770s definitely seemed to "change" in sound during the first week or so that I used them but maybe that was just me getting used to them. Is there a noticeable or suggested burn-in period for the DT1990? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,304 of 4,756
Excited here in Ventura, CA! Bought a DT1990 from Amazon with a stated delivery date, for the past several days of Fri 7/24. Checked tracking for an update and it's out for delivery today, Thurs 7/16, 8 days early! :) I also have Dekoni Elite Velour pads arriving today. It was suggested to me here to try the Analytic pads before the Elite Velours. I read earlier here that when using the Dekoni pads they should be mounted covering the mounting ring rather than the normal mounting on the mounting ring? If anybody knows, is this correct? Also, can the mounting rings be removed for mounting pads, like I was able to do with my DT1770? Should I even bother with changing pads during initial listening, before they are "burned-in"? My DT1770s definitely seemed to "change" in sound during the first week or so that I used them but maybe that was just me getting used to them. Is there a noticeable or suggested burn-in period for the DT1990? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
1) The 1990 comes with the B pads installed. They have the atypical V-shape tuning. The A pads have a more linear response, sloping from left to right.

2) The Dekoni pads mount the same way as the stock pads. Mounting them over the ring will stretch out the lip, and looks ugly af. BRAINWAVZ pads are oversized and mount over the lip, unless you cut them.

3) The headphones do not need burn in, but your head does. At least a week.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,305 of 4,756
Headphones are electro-mechanical devices, just like loudspeakers, and do require break-in.

Pad changes are annoying on the DT 1990. I recommend to use the installed Balanced pads initially, because the sound will change during break-in and you won't get a true view of the installed pads until at least 60 hours of play. I didn't like the sound with Balanced pads; lower midrange was too plummy and highs were sibilant. I love the bass and mids with the Elite Velours but they also emphasize sibilance. I use the Analytical pads exclusively, they sound best to me, musical and accurate.

I tried to install the Dekoni pads over the mounting rings as someone suggested. I had no luck after a solid twenty minutes of effort and gave up. They install much easier than the Beyer pads if done conventionally (inside the mounting ring).

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,306 of 4,756
1) The 1990 comes with the B pads installed. They have the atypical V-shape tuning. The A pads have a more linear response, sloping from left to right.

2) The Dekoni pads mount the same way as the stock pads. Mounting them over the ring will stretch out the lip, and looks ugly af. BRAINWAVZ pads are oversized and mount over the lip, unless you cut them.

3) The headphones do not need burn in, but your head does. At least a week.
Thank you for the reply and info!

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #3,307 of 4,756
Headphones are electro-mechanical devices, just like loudspeakers, and do require break-in.

Pad changes are annoying on the DT 1990. I recommend to use the installed Balanced pads initially, because the sound will change during break-in and you won't get a true view on the installed pads until at least 60 hours of play. I didn't like the sound with Balanced pads, midrange was too plummy and highs were sibilant. I love the bass and mids with the Elite Velours but they also emphasize sibilance. I use the Analytical pads exclusively, they sound best to me, musical and accurate.

I tried to install the Dekoni pads over the mounting rings as someone suggested. I had no luck after a solid twenty minutes of effort and gave up. They install much easier than the Beyer pads if done conventionally (inside the mounting ring).
Thanks for the reply and info!

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #3,308 of 4,756
What are your views in terms of comparing Analytical pads to Dekoni Elite Velours? I've got Elite Velours few days ago and now I'm trying to compare them between each other. I've used Analytical pads for almost 2 years.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #3,309 of 4,756
I have a question about the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO headphones. This is my first high-end headphone which I will be using for listening and producing. I'm new to this whole amp and DAC world. I use a Focusrite scarlet 6i6 currently. Do I need anything additional to get the most out of these headphones or am I okay with just that? If so what do you suggest?

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #3,310 of 4,756
good qs, also using with an interface which has pretty good headphone out just wondering if an external headphone amp would help.

Dac wise I think most interfaces have decent converters.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #3,311 of 4,756
I have a question about the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO headphones. This is my first high-end headphone which I will be using for listening and producing. I'm new to this whole amp and DAC world. I use a Focusrite scarlet 6i6 currently. Do I need anything additional to get the most out of these headphones or am I okay with just that? If so what do you suggest?
The Focusrite scarlet 6i6 puts out 28mw into 32ohm. It will get loud but i think a stronger amp could improve the sound.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #3,312 of 4,756
What does this say about the Audient iD14 then?

MAX LEVEL INTO 30ohms:+4 dBu, 0.005% THD+N, Power: 101mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 60ohms:+5 dBu, 0.004% THD+N, Power: 64mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 600ohms:+13 dBu, 0.0025% THD+N, Power: 39mW

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,313 of 4,756
That one has enough power for the 1990
What does this say about the Audient iD14 then?

MAX LEVEL INTO 30ohms:+4 dBu, 0.005% THD+N, Power: 101mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 60ohms:+5 dBu, 0.004% THD+N, Power: 64mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 600ohms:+13 dBu, 0.0025% THD+N, Power: 39mW

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #3,314 of 4,756
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #3,315 of 4,756
Even a Fiio BTR5 can power a 1990 just fine, which has only 80mW @32ohms.
Yes but there is a huge difference between 80mw at 32 ohm and and 28mw at 32 ohm

For me the 1990 sounded flatt and dull out of my Q5s with am3d, and that one provide 150mw at 32ohm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back