Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #3,286 of 4,756
That cable look gorgeous :D

Did it change the sound by anyway?

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #3,287 of 4,756
That cable look gorgeous :D

Did it change the sound by anyway?

I am not sure.
It would need a A/B-Testing, since i directly changed to the cable after i got it and never looked back.
Im gonna test when i have some spare time.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #3,288 of 4,756
1) How do the DT 1990 Pro's compare to the R70x, HD700s and HD660S? Is it a worthy upgrade from my R70x'es?
2) My Dac/Amp outputs 28mW@300Ohms. Can it drive the DT 1990 Pro's loud enough?
3) I heard it comes with a mini-XLR cable. If so, is it balanced? My Dac/Amp has a balanced mini-XLR out.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #3,289 of 4,756
1) How do the DT 1990 Pro's compare to the R70x, HD700s and HD660S? Is it a worthy upgrade from my R70x'es?
2) My Dac/Amp outputs 28mW@300Ohms. Can it drive the DT 1990 Pro's loud enough?
3) I heard it comes with a mini-XLR cable. If so, is it balanced? My Dac/Amp has a balanced mini-XLR out.

28mw@300 ohm is not enough to drive them on thier full potential

They are not balanced its a 3 pin xlr

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,292 of 4,756
250hms at 102dB/mW requires 20mW to reach 115dB, no? Isn't that loud?
3 pin regular xlr? if I get a XLR-miniXLR balanced adapter can I get balanced sound?
You're correct. The DT 1990 don't require a huge amount of power to get to uncomfortable levels. The problem that I see is that you might not have much wiggle room with the volume knob if you like to crank it, especially if you listen to music with a lot of dynamic range, like classical.
28mW should technically be enough, but only just. If you don't listen loud, it should be more than fine.

As has been said above, you should never use a balanced amp with a single-ended headphone/cable. It can cause a short within the amp.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,293 of 4,756
250hms at 102dB/mW requires 20mW to reach 115dB, no? Isn't that loud?
3 pin regular xlr? if I get a XLR-miniXLR balanced adapter can I get balanced sound?
Yea thats loud but loudness is not everything. You need more power to get them sound right at thier full potential. They will lack alot of bass and life

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #3,294 of 4,756
You're correct. The DT 1990 don't require a huge amount of power to get to uncomfortable levels. The problem that I see is that you might not have much wiggle room with the volume knob if you like to crank it, especially if you listen to music with a lot of dynamic range, like classical.
28mW should technically be enough, but only just. If you don't listen loud, it should be more than fine.

As has been said above, you should never use a balanced amp with a single-ended headphone. It can cause a short within the amp.
Yea thats loud but loudness is not everything. You need more power to get them sound right at thier full potential. They will lack alot of bass and life

My amp alsi has hi-gain so the output power can somewhat increase. Can someone show me the impedance of every frequency of the DT 1990 pro?

Also, IF I had to, should I just buy a cheap amp to drive the DT 1990 Pros? My DAC/Amp is $550 dollars, the same league as the Mojo and iDSD BL. The DAC is amazing, just the amp is weak. So I'm planning on getting the Fiio A5. What I'm worried about is: would a cheap amp like the A5 degrade the great sound of my $550 DAC and make it sound like a cheap $200 system? Should I just fork in another $600 for a mojo or idsd bl?

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #3,295 of 4,756
My amp alsi has hi-gain so the output power can somewhat increase. Can someone show me the impedance of every frequency of the DT 1990 pro?

Also, IF I had to, should I just buy a cheap amp to drive the DT 1990 Pros? My DAC/Amp is $550 dollars, the same league as the Mojo and iDSD BL. The DAC is amazing, just the amp is weak. So I'm planning on getting the Fiio A5. What I'm worried about is: would a cheap amp like the A5 degrade the great sound of my $550 DAC and make it sound like a cheap $200 system? Should I just fork in another $600 for a mojo or idsd bl?
Do a Google search for "DT 1990 impedance curve." You should be able to find something (although I didn't see anything just a minute ago-- I didn't look very hard, though).

I think The A5 would be perfect. I've used the E12A (which is an older, lower powered version of the A5) in high gain and there is power to spare. To my ear, the E12A is completely transparent, so it'll sound identical to any other transparent amp. I'd imagine the A5 is similar.

EDIT: I think the DT 1990 peaks at about 350Ω at 100Hz; according to my math your amp should be able to do 24mW into that load.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #3,296 of 4,756
Do a Google search for "DT 1990 impedance curve." You should be able to find something (although I didn't see anything just a minute ago-- I didn't look very hard, though).

I think The A5 would be perfect. I've used the E12A (which is an older, lower powered version of the A5) in high gain and there is power to spare. To my ear, the E12A is completely transparent, so it'll sound identical to any other transparent amp. I'd imagine the A5 is similar.

EDIT: I think the DT 1990 peaks at about 350Ω at 100Hz; according to my math your amp should be able to do 24mW into that load.

I guessed it right. If my amp can power the R70x it can definitely power the DT 1990 Pro's.

But the A5 is a cheap Amp. I want to know, if I connect it to my ~$500 DAC, wouldn't that just degrade the processing done by the DAC rendering the DAC's sound quality irrelevant? Another way to put it: Wouldn't connecting a chord qutest to a $200 amp also degrade the end sound quality?

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #3,297 of 4,756
I guessed it right. If my amp can power the R70x it can definitely power the DT 1990 Pro's.

But the A5 is a cheap Amp. I want to know, if I connect it to my ~$500 DAC, wouldn't that just degrade the processing done by the DAC rendering the DAC's sound quality irrelevant? Another way to put it: Wouldn't connecting a chord qutest to a $200 amp also degrade the end sound quality?
Try not to think about it in terms of price. The law of diminishing returns hits hard and fast in the world of audiophilia.
A transparent amp is a transparent amp-- it doesn't matter if it costs $5 or $50,000.
To my ear, my E12A sounds virtually identical to every other audibly transparent solid-state amp I've compared it to. Granted, I've never compared it to any really high-end amps (but I've never felt the need).
Maybe you'll be able to discern some degradation, but I doubt it. If so, just return it.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #3,298 of 4,756
Try not to think about it in terms of price. The law of diminishing returns hits hard and fast in the world of audiophilia.
A transparent amp is a transparent amp-- it doesn't matter if it costs $5 or $50,000.
To my ear, my E12A sounds virtually identical to every other audibly transparent solid-state amp I've compared it to. Granted, I've never compared it to any really high-end amps (but I've never felt the need).
Maybe you'll be able to discern some degradation, but I doubt it. If so, just return it.
more expensive amps definitely have more detail and resolution than cheaper amps. Right now I'll just save up to get the DT 1990's.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #3,300 of 4,756
Are the dekoni pads going to feel cooler on the ears than the A/B?
I find the Dekoni pads very comfortable, at least the Velour and Hybrid. I wear my headphones all day, and I don't have any overheating, sweat, or rubbing against my ears issues. Plus the memory foam is very form fitting for my eyeglass frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back