Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 9, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #2,522 of 4,769
I was recently very much in doubt as to which headphone I should buy: the DT1990 or the Elex. The latter was fairly quickly written off because Focal charges close to 200$ for spare pads (what?!?!?) yet the more I looked into the Beyer the more the treble seemed to stick out.
During a small brainfart I decided to take a chance on the French tank...and damn am I ever glad I did..most especially after I got to hear the Beyer here the other day. I know many folks describe the DT1990s treble as the least problematic inside the Beyer line-up, but to these ears it is just as aggressive as the T1, Amiron and the T90.

For fans of the hd700/800, T1, K812, T90, K701/2 and DT880 I imagine the DT1990 will be an absolute treat. People that usually don’t go for the Beyer house sound will most likely find far more to like in an Elex...psycho-pads or not:)

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,523 of 4,769
Which Beyers in yall's opinion has the most relaxed treble?
DT1350 & DTX501 (a rebadged Soundmagic P30) from the ones I've tried so far. Relatively.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,525 of 4,769
T1 buttery smooth, mega detailed, but I don't feel like they're screaming on my ear like the DT-1990
I had the T1 and the top end ripped my ears off.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,527 of 4,769
Well, like I said, maybe it's the chain I have. Chord Hugo and Violectric V200 make me enjoy the T1.1 more than my other Beyers.

The T1.1 is known to have variation. Maybe the T1.2 does as well, the two I had were quite far apart in the serial number. Also my experience with Beyers is they love certain DAC's. The T1.2 I had was really bright. But I also had a T1.2 Black and it was only slightly brighter than the HD 650(which I also had at the same time) and came off as more neutral and natural sounding and just all-around better.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,528 of 4,769
Actually, pretty much all Beyers I've tried shred my ears off in the treble. Except the DT411. That one was actually warm sounding.

1-018-018713-Beyerdynamic-DT-411.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2,529 of 4,769
Actually, pretty much all Beyers I've tried shred my ears off in the treble. Except the DT411. That one was actually warm sounding.

In my system (Korg DAC, Asgard 2), I find the DT 1990 a bit on the warm side of neutral, not bright or sibilant.

I invited six local audiophiles over for a listening session a few weeks ago. No one found the DT 1990 bright except for one fellow, whose main headphone is the HD 650. And he only found the Beyer too bright when used with the Magni 3, not with the Bottlehead Crack.

I set up a little listening test for two audiophiles who own very expensive audio systems; Monoprice Monolith M1060, Grado RS2e, Sennheiser HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT 1990.. One guy's system is digital, the other analog based, neither are into headphones. Both liked the Grados best. The RS2e is much brighter sounding than the DT 1990.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,530 of 4,769
I didn't find it that bad for the first hour or so but after that it began to hurt. I subsequently returned them. But each individual has their own tolerances and sensitivities when it comes to the top end response of gear. For me, a boost around 12-14k comes across as 'air', but below that to about 8k, it's sharp and bright (for me). A boost at 4-6k is torture.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-15_14-21-43.png
    upload_2019-7-15_14-21-43.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,531 of 4,769
Ok, I recently heard a closed-back Beyer and it gave me an idea that Beyers are definately headphones with technicalities worth exploring. Also, my ears are not as young as it used to be and the high-end is probably not bothering me as much anymore like a decade ago. It seems Beyers have a response like HD800.

My question would be, what is the most technically capable Beyer? T1 gen1?

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,532 of 4,769
I'm looking to pick up another set of 1990's and while I was browsing on Amazon I found a seller that was selling a bundle with an extended cable for $519 which is quite under retail. Does anyone have any experience or reviews with these kinds of sellers? I sent them a message to see what the case was and why the price was under retail and asked if they were factory sealed but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had experience. They look to be a whole seller but the bundled items make it seem kind of dodgy.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,533 of 4,769
I'm looking to pick up another set of 1990's and while I was browsing on Amazon I found a seller that was selling a bundle with an extended cable for $519 which is quite under retail. Does anyone have any experience or reviews with these kinds of sellers? I sent them a message to see what the case was and why the price was under retail and asked if they were factory sealed but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had experience. They look to be a whole seller but the bundled items make it seem kind of dodgy.
Is the seller 6ave (Sixth Ave Electronics Express)? If you do a little bit of internet sleuthing you can find some information on them. Their amazon and eBay reviews aren't horrible, but they get really bad reviews on other sites (bbb.org, resellerratings.com, etc.), though some of those reviews might be old. Personally, I'd stay away, if for no other reason than that seem to they charge a 20% restocking fee, so if you find that the item is defective in some way you'll still be out more than $100. For me, the peace of mind is worth the extra $70 or $80 from a reputable seller. And who the heck needs a 25 foot extension cable for home listening??

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,534 of 4,769
That’s exactly who it is. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Thanks for the additional insight. I’ll just pony up the $80 and purchase it from Beyer. I only really wanted the headphones anyway.

Is the seller 6ave (Sixth Ave Electronics Express)? If you do a little bit of internet sleuthing you can find some information on them. Their amazon and eBay reviews aren't horrible, but they get really bad reviews on other sites (bbb.org, resellerratings.com, etc.), though some of those reviews might be old. Personally, I'd stay away, if for no other reason than that seem to they charge a 20% restocking fee, so if you find that the item is defective in some way you'll still be out more than $100. For me, the peace of mind is worth the extra $70 or $80 from a reputable seller. And who the heck needs a 25 foot extension cable for home listening??

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2,535 of 4,769
Ok, I recently heard a closed-back Beyer and it gave me an idea that Beyers are definately headphones with technicalities worth exploring. Also, my ears are not as young as it used to be and the high-end is probably not bothering me as much anymore like a decade ago. It seems Beyers have a response like HD800.

My question would be, what is the most technically capable Beyer? T1 gen1?

Beyers have always had excellent drivers, it's always really been their tuning that people feel mixed about. Which one did you hear? Depends on the Beyer, the recent batches of the T1.2's are rather warm sounding in my experience. Of modern Beyers I would say the T1.2 is the most technically capable. I haven't heard a T1.1 in a very long time, so can't say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back