Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,832 of 4,768
Ah, okay. I've actually never tried the A pads. I liked the B pads so much I never had any desire to change them.

It always kind of amazes/amuses me when I realize people's different tastes and hearing. It makes me laugh a little-- I don't know why. I know it shouldn't surprise me, but it does!

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,835 of 4,768
Hi buddies,
Today is a good day! I just received my DT 1990 PRO. Everything about it is just perfect but there's something that annoy me and worrying me a bit. Although we all know that some minor manufacturing defects are common and to some extent normal, but i don't know what is your impression about my pair. I took some shots from XLR port (that shows discoloration and small shift in positioning the notch, basically the notch should mount exactly at the top - on ninety degree angle) and coiled cable (that shows uneven twisting - fracture like) of my dt1990 and compared it to my dt1770 that has not the aforementioned faults. Fortunately the sound quality is faultless. There's no something like driver mismatch, distortion, rattling... . The sound is just incredible. Meanwhile the serial number is 12484 and i'm curious to know the probable production date of it. It may be nitpicking but what's your suggestion? Should i keep it or replace it with another one?

Shots taken from the dt1990:
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,837 of 4,768
Huh. Did you pay full price from an authorized retailer? It looks to me like it's either a refurb or open-box unit. If it were me, I'd return it and ask for a refund. And then purchase from someplace else.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,838 of 4,768
Huh. Did you pay full price from an authorized retailer? It looks to me like it's either a refurb or open-box unit. If it were me, I'd return it and ask for a refund. And then purchase from someplace else.
I think it looks absolutely fine. And well within normal manufacturing tolerances.
I wouldn’t worry. As long as they sound OK, just ENJOY!

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,839 of 4,768
I think it looks absolutely fine. And well within normal manufacturing tolerances.
I wouldn’t worry. As long as they sound OK, just ENJOY!
Really? The cable is kinked, and the headphone socket is definitely scratched and askew. It might work fine, but for $600 I would expect it to be pretty much perfect (or easily fixable without voiding the warranty or serious DIYing).

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,840 of 4,768
Thank you both for your input. Yes i did pay full price from an authorized retailer and no it was not open-box or refurbished unit. I actually preferred to return the defective pair just for peace of mind. Also a flawless unit doesn't lose its value as much as a defective one when you want to sell it.

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #1,841 of 4,768
Has anybody done a comparison of DT1990(A) with Shure SRH1840?
I am looking to sidegrade my DT1990 with a SRH1840, just to get something more neutral and something that doesn't recess the mids.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,842 of 4,768
I am looking to sidegrade my DT1990 with a SRH1840, just to get something more neutral and something that doesn't recess the mids.

I own an SRH1840. It's the dullest, most lifeless headphone in my collection. It has a thin, tinny sound to my ears. I wish I had bought the SRH1540 instead (at the time, I just assumed open is always better), though I'm not crazy about that headphone either aside from its awesome ear pads.The DT 1990 Pro with either set of stock ear pads puts the flagship Shures to shame and I'm not even a fan of the A pads. There's just no competition and it wouldn't be a sidegrade, it would most assuredly be a downgrade in my opinion.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,844 of 4,768

I own an SRH1840. It's the dullest, most lifeless headphone in my collection. It has a thin, tinny sound to my ears. I wish I had bought the SRH1540 instead (at the time, I just assumed open is always better), though I'm not crazy about that headphone either aside from its awesome ear pads.The DT 1990 Pro with either set of stock ear pads puts the flagship Shures to shame and I'm not even a fan of the A pads. There's just no competition and it wouldn't be a sidegrade, it would most assuredly be a downgrade in my opinion.

While I haven't heard the DT-1990 yet I do have the SRH-1840 and a few other headphones and its far from being dull or lifeless. A few of my friends like it a lot, better than my T1gen1, DT-990 premium (modded), HD650, HD800 and HE560 so its a personal preference IMO. I'd say the SRH1840 is not neutral since its has a bit of "U" shaped signature and if you want mids then I go for a HD650, HD660S or HD600 (maybe HD58X-have one on the way) but for the HD650/600 I'd suggest a decent OTL amp for them while the HD660S and from what I've been reading the HD58X really don't need an amp to sound great.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,845 of 4,768

I managed to audition the SRH1840, I wouldn't call them dull, more like...restrained. They don't blow you away on either side of the spectrum, they just do their job without flair. The DT1990 have sizzling highs and a buttery smooth low, the highs might be even called wild. But I prefer to tame the highs than to add where it's not possible, if I want more out of the DT1990 I can remove the EQ and have all their sparkle, with the SRH1840 that's all your going to get; wich is nothing to scoff at. Also, bear in mind the price point.

Another thing I prefer about the DT1990 over the SRH1840, is the build. The Beyers have a heft that I just love, they ooze quality, pick them up and without being an afficionado, you know you're picking up something high end; or at the very least, of a higher "breed." The first time I picked up the STH1840, I felt they were...flimsy, not light, flimsy. I was like: "Wow, they expect me to pay 500 USD for this?" Do not be confused, the SRH1840 have a respectable build, but I was expecting more for what they are asking for.

One thing the SRH1840 have over the the DT1990: factory ready balanced connection. Just get the cable, no need to jury rig the SRH1840 to make them balanced, good luck doing that with the DT1990. You may not think balanced cables do anything for the sound, but...I was wrong. After years of using my SRH535 unbalanced and then going balanced, I was blown away. I rediscovered my headphones, these little things have never sound this good. I'm still wrapping my head around what happened.

So that's that, if you want hazzle free, balancend transition, go SRH1840. Want better build and overall sound performance? go DT1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back