Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,696 of 4,768
Well I just bought my first pair of Beyers :beyersmile:. $505 USD brand new on Amazon at present (no tax via third party seller, fulfilled by Amazon). I've wanted DT1990s for a while and finally went through with it. Seems like they don't go down in price very much, or very often? Or at least that's how I'm going to rationalize it for myself.
Congratulations on your new Beyers, they are fantastic!, you're right they don't go down much, although I've noted with Amazon they can go down on a Friday.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,697 of 4,768
I love my DT1990s, but I have a serious comfort issue with the headband after extended listening. The headband padding seems a bit thin and I get a serious hotspot on the top of my head. I have tried a few headband cushions to add extra padding but can’t find one that fits.

Has anyone added extra cushioning to the headband? If so, what did you use?

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,698 of 4,768
I love my DT1990s, but I have a serious comfort issue with the headband after extended listening. The headband padding seems a bit thin and I get a serious hotspot on the top of my head. I have tried a few headband cushions to add extra padding but can’t find one that fits.

Has anyone added extra cushioning to the headband? If so, what did you use?
i know it's not premium version, and it's way cheaper, but just for info
i have done on mine dt770 leather strap mod, fits perfectly on them, and it's held in with stock like screws, just a bit longer
i also had situation like you, with hotspot on top of my head, leather strap is masive improvement in comfort for me
since dt1990 uses same 2 screw sistem to hold the slider part, maybe you can mod it in the same way, if you are willing to mod 500$ headphones in first place
i should mention that the mod is completely reversible, and bringing them to stock is a breeze

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,699 of 4,768
i know it's not premium version, and it's way cheaper, but just for info
i have done on mine dt770 leather strap mod, fits perfectly on them, and it's held in with stock like screws, just a bit longer
i also had situation like you, with hotspot on top of my head, leather strap is masive improvement in comfort for me
since dt1990 uses same 2 screw sistem to hold the slider part, maybe you can mod it in the same way, if you are willing to mod 500$ headphones in first place
i should mention that the mod is completely reversible, and bringing them to stock is a breeze

Thanks for the info. I will check that out.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,701 of 4,768
Just picked these up. I think I can sum it up by saying they are like a precision tuned Lambo or Ferrari.

[edit: I got em off of amazon, new, for $479/no tax. Jumped on it.]

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,703 of 4,768
got the dt1990 recently. using the DragonFly black 1.2 as my DAC and Magni 3 as the amp. Im thinking I can do better, on both the setups, any dac amp ( non tube) suggestions?
Do you really need the Magni? I have the Amiron Home and use them with a DragonFly black without anything else and get enough volume. I also have a small Ifi and if you want to go one step up the Ifi Nano iDSD Black Label seems to be popular. If you can afford it the Ifi Micro iDSD Black Label is said to be much better. Otherwise I would probably go for the Chord Mojo. Or the Resonessence Herus.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,704 of 4,768
Do you really need the Magni? I have the Amiron Home and use them with a DragonFly black without anything else and get enough volume. I also have a small Ifi and if you want to go one step up the Ifi Nano iDSD Black Label seems to be popular. If you can afford it the Ifi Micro iDSD Black Label is said to be much better. Otherwise I would probably go for the Chord Mojo. Or the Resonessence Herus.
The DF seems to power it fine, but im kind of like how the magni changed the sound, in comparision to the DF ( which seems great on its own ). Is the Nano better than the magni?

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,705 of 4,768
The DF seems to power it fine, but im kind of like how the magni changed the sound, in comparision to the DF ( which seems great on its own ). Is the Nano better than the magni?
Can't say, I haven't heard the magni. The DF gets better with the Jitterbug, if you want a cheap upgrade you could order one. Even the DF Red is said do be better with the Jitterbug. The DF Red might also be a good upgrade. It probably comes down to how much you are willing to invest, the DF Red should be better than the DF Black and the Mojo or Ifi Micro should be even better but more exepensive.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,706 of 4,768
Has anyone experienced creaking noises from the earpads on these? I really enjoy them but this noise is maddening.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,707 of 4,768
Has anyone experienced creaking noises from the earpads on these? I really enjoy them but this noise is maddening.
I have, although for me it wasn't from the earpads. It was from the plastic clips which held the headband adjustment mechanism. I bought my first unit from Amazon and I returned that one due to the creaking when I moved my head around. The replacement fixed the creaking problem.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,708 of 4,768
Can't say, I haven't heard the magni. The DF gets better with the Jitterbug, if you want a cheap upgrade you could order one. Even the DF Red is said do be better with the Jitterbug. The DF Red might also be a good upgrade. It probably comes down to how much you are willing to invest, the DF Red should be better than the DF Black and the Mojo or Ifi Micro should be even better but more exepensive.
I have both the Magni & the Micro Black. I find the iFi works better with the 1990. My opinion, the Magni offers a clearer but dryer sound, and the 1990 doesn't need more of that. The iFi offers a slightly darker, smoother sound, And that works better with the 1990. Once again, just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,709 of 4,768
I have, although for me it wasn't from the earpads. It was from the plastic clips which held the headband adjustment mechanism. I bought my first unit from Amazon and I returned that one due to the creaking when I moved my head around. The replacement fixed the creaking problem.
Hmm, I don't think it's the clips, maybe I just have a fat head or something. Tried adjusting the earpieces but that didn't really seem to help either. Is there any way to lessen the clamp pressure? Maybe bending the headband a bit? I've been afraid to try that tbh lol.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,710 of 4,768
I've been listening to mine for a few weeks and really like them. Some random comments in no particular order:

• Mine don't creak at all. Funny enough, the Utopias I keep playing with at the local hi-fi place creak like crazy (although they sound fantastic and they only creak when futzing with them, not when they are on)
  • I put the Dekoni fenestrated leather pads on mine. They were a major PITA to install since I could not get the soft leather to flow around the groove (I know how it works, I can remove and replace the regular pads easy peasy). I ended up working the leather in the groove with a credit card. Took a long time but it was worth it. I really like the leather over the velour.
  • I was also using a DF red for a while. It did ok, but IMO they really sing with some more power. I am am using a Vanguard 2 now (with the DAC from my Marantz ND8006) which really sounds good with them. I have also tried them with an Aune X1S/X7S which also works well.
  • When using my Mac as a source I have found that I really like using Sonarworks Tru-Fi with them. They have profiles for both the stock pads and also allow you to adjust the sound signature a bit. I've lost some treble over the years and Tru-Fi really helps to bring it back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back