Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #676 of 4,768
I read that the DT 1990 actually has got less room in the 'ear chamber' compared to older T 90. Is this true? If so, is it due to flatter ear pads or is there a thick cloth covering the plastic rim that the driver is glued on? The audible difference between DT 880 and DT 990 was down to this piece of cloth being present in DT 880 and not DT 990, which made the former less comfortable for me.

Currently I own a pair of T 90s but I was looking to replace them with the DT 1990. But I won't negotiate between ergonomics and sound quality, really.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #677 of 4,768
I read that the DT 1990 actually has got less room in the 'ear chamber' compared to older T 90. Is this true? If so, is it due to flatter ear pads or is there a thick cloth covering the plastic rim that the driver is glued on? The audible difference between DT 880 and DT 990 was down to this piece of cloth being present in DT 880 and not DT 990, which made the former less comfortable for me.

Currently I own a pair of T 90s but I was looking to replace them with the DT 1990. But I won't negotiate between ergonomics and sound quality, really.

I actually find the DT 1990 to have some of the deeper pads among Beyers, slightly deeper than the Amirons actually. Only really found the T1 to have more room. The DT 1990 is clampy like the HD 650 though.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #678 of 4,768
I find the DT1990 and DT880 similar in the amount of ear space they have -- my ears rest just a bit against the foam in front of the driver. If the DT880 bothered you, the DT1990 probably would too.

The T1 is definitely one of the best Beyer headphones for ear space, since it has the angled driver.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #680 of 4,768
I'm not quite sure how to respond directly to your question. I use my DT1990s with a Woo Audio WA2 and a Darkvoice 336SE. My other cans are Senn HD600 and Beyer DT990 - I love them both. Since getting the DT1990 the other 2 sets of cans have been gathering dust.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #681 of 4,768
Anyone rocking the 1990 with tube amps? Any thoughts on how they affect the frequency response? 

I have two dedicated headphone amps - a Schiit Jotunheim and a Little Dot Mark III (well, three amps really but my JDS Labs O2 isn't seeing any use these days). I also have two headphones that see regular use at home - the Sennheiser HD650 and the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. I drive the HD650 from the balanced output on the Jotunheim and the DT 1990 Pro with the Little Dot Mark 3. I ordered the Little Dot tube amp when Massdrop was selling them for $219 to satisfy my curiosity regarding tube amplification for headphones. I also ordered a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV preamp tubes as they seemed to be a much liked alternative to the preamp tubes that ship with the Mark III.

As a side note I'm a guitar player and, for the better part of 36 years, a tube guitar amp fanatic - especially vintage amps from the 50's and 60's. This was quite specifically because of the coloration they brought to the equation, for the unique character that each amp contributed to the overall sound. For years I collected vintage guitar amps. It's this experience that had me avoiding tube amplification for HiFi, opting instead for the accuracy of a high end pair of near field monitors (it's what I was used to and what I knew from years of recording and mixing).

Well, my assumptions about tube amplification for HiFi (with headphones, and I now assume for HiFi speakers as well) were unfounded. Though skeptical as I took my first listen through the Little Dot Mark III what I found was an amazing clarity and transparency, and no unique tonality or coloration (this is generally the same as I perceive with the Jotunheim). What I did notice was a perceived improvement in dynamics. Something in the way music is delivered makes it seem a bit more 'live', as if present for the performance. This is the best description I can provide at this time. These observations were made primarily through my DT 1990 Pro's. I hope it provides some useful information for you.

One other observation I made after a little time with the Mark III: Though the Sennheiser HD650 sounds great through the Little Dot Mark III I generally prefer listening to them balanced through the Schiit Jotunheim. The upper mids and treble are a bit more forward through the balanced out on the Jotunheim than through its SE output or through the Mark III. The HD650's laid back character remains through the Jotunheim's balanced out but clarity and detail resolution are improved. The DT 1990 Pro tonality remains essentially the same through either amp but they're more fun to listen to through the Little Dot Mark III. So each of these two headphones has its own dedicated amp for music listening. The only real exception is that I'd rather use the DT 1990 Pro through the Jotunheim with the analytical earpads for any studio application.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #682 of 4,768
I've been looking for a new open headphone and these are really tempting me. I've never had a complete desktop setup, so I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on why I should or shouldn't go with the following setup:

Xonar DG -optical-> Schiit Modi 2 Uber -RCA-> Beyerdynamic A20 -> DT 1990 Pro

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #684 of 4,768
That looks like a great setup.
I run mine through an ifi ipurifier2 -> micro iDSD Black Label also sounds great.
I couldn't find an A20 at the time. 
I bet that would sound great.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #685 of 4,768
Well there's a nice deal on the A20/1990 combo from Beach Camera via Amazon right now for $799. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble selling the amp if you change your mind.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #687 of 4,768
  For a little more than the A20's price, you can get the Lake People RS02 which is a much better amp. I think the 1990 needs tubes to sound its best though. Its a bit too sterile with SS amps.  

Which tube amps have you paired with your DT1990?

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #688 of 4,768
Hi there, has anybody got a chance to listen to both the DT1990 and the AKG Q701? How do they compare soundwise?

And any suggestion for an uncolored, flat signature amplifier for a desktop setup with the DT1990? I am currently using Roland QuadCapture as a DAC, it sounds fine but lacks quite a lot of power to bring the best out of the DT1990. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #690 of 4,768
Hi there, has anybody got a chance to listen to both the DT1990 and the AKG Q701? How do they compare soundwise?

And any suggestion for an uncolored, flat signature amplifier for a desktop setup with the DT1990? I am currently using Roland QuadCapture as a DAC, it sounds fine but lacks quite a lot of power to bring the best out of the DT1990. Thanks a bunch in advance.

From what I remember about the Q701

Soundstage width: Q701
Everything else: DT1990

I'll try to compare them directly this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back