Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 27, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #46 of 4,771
Haven't heard the dt1770 but as an owner of the dt770, when properly driven (very important) and from a decent source, the dt770 get bass and drums (in the dynamic sense) like no other headphone I've heard. I cannot state how important it is to drive the 770s properly; from a weak amp they sound thin and bass heavy. From a stong amp they have huge dynamics and convey, to me, an accurate rendition of the low frequency content of the music.

The dt770 are universally used as in-studio monitoring headphones due to their closed nature, but have a very wide sound stage so could be used as a mixing/mastering headphone as well.

I would assume the dt1770 inherit the dt770s attributes and the dt1990 build on them for mixing/mastering.

Yes, I do find that Beyers are in general highly responsive to amping.  It's important to get that right. The 1770, btw, is pretty darned good.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #47 of 4,771
I've added a few more pics and a link to the product page on the OP.

One interesting thing that is revealed on the product page is that it comes with 2 differently tuned velour earpads, one is called 'analytical' and the other is called 'balanced'.

Very interesting .....
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #48 of 4,771
  I've added a few more pics and a link to the product page on the OP.

One interesting thing that is revealed on the product page is that it comes with 2 differently tuned velour earpads, one is called 'analytical' and the other is called 'balanced'.

Very interesting .....
cool.gif

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that analytical is gonna feature less absorption of the highs.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #49 of 4,771
Maybe this could be Beyer trying to let owners of the DT 1990 have it both ways with one headphone.

'Analytical' pads for those who prefer the brighter 'classic' voicing of Beyer's older reference headphones.

'Balanced' pads for those who prefer the warner voicing of Beyer's newer reference headphones.
We shall see.
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 4,771

If I buy the 1990 PRO's, will I look this good wearing them??? 

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #51 of 4,771
  Maybe this could be Beyer trying to let owners of the DT 1990 have it both ways with one headphone.

'Analytical' pads for those who prefer the brighter 'classic' voicing of Beyer's older reference headphones.

'Balanced' pads for those who prefer the warner voicing of Beyer's newer reference headphones.
We shall see.
popcorn.gif

If that's the case and if the difference in tuning is actually relevant and makes a blatant difference I might buy these to accompany and compliment my Jubilee T90s, I just really don't need more classic bright Beyer headphones. They look cool, too.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #52 of 4,771

If I buy the 1990 PRO's, will I look this good wearing them??? 

Just imagine how good you would look if you bought the Focal Utopia's! 
biggrin.gif

Wait a sec!  This is exactly how good you will look if you buy the $4000 Utopia's.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #53 of 4,771

Just imagine how good you would look if you bought the Focal Utopia's! 
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll settle for the Elear's. I've got one on order! 
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #54 of 4,771

If that's the case and if the difference in tuning is actually relevant and makes a blatant difference I might buy these to accompany and compliment my Jubilee T90s, I just really don't need more classic bright Beyer headphones. They look cool, too.

I dunno about the look.  It seems approximately 20 years late in terms of design.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #55 of 4,771
Quote:
  I dunno about the look.  It seems approximately 20 years late in terms of design.

You could say that about Beyer's entire headphone range!

But I think they look pretty good for what they are.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #57 of 4,771

Yea they are pretty retro, have a bit of charm to them though in a pretty ugly sort of way, hence I categorized them as cool rather than beautiful. They don't look as good as the Jubilee T1s or my T90s but they are interesting in their own right I'd say! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 4,771
I think they look fantastic. They vents on the cups have that cool Death Star interior design vibe.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #59 of 4,771

40mm drivers for $4k?  What™?!

But I think they look pretty good for what they are.

Hey now, DT880 and DT990 Premium look AWESOME.  As do T90 and T50p.  Shame on you!
But I have to say, I'm not liking DT1990's look.

I think they look fantastic. They vents on the cups have that cool Death Star interior design vibe.

Beyerdynamic's own Darth Beyers?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back