Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,251 of 4,768
I agree with most of the above. The HD 650 is not a can I would link to the DT 1990. IMO, the 1990 with Analytical pads sound better in every possible way.

I highly recommend the Asgard II for anyone wanting to avoid the hassle of tubes.

Excessively noisy vinyl is due to poor vinyl or resonances in the table, arm or cartridge. About 1/3 of my music is vinyl, ripped at 24/88. In general, it is more mellow sounding than my CD rips. Even the damaged records are fine after a pass through the VinylStudio click removal software.
Yeah, I don't doubt the possibility that my turntable is not the best and not set up perfectly. Almost all of my vinyl I buy used, so much of it is probably damaged beyond simply being dusty.
I guess I use the HD 650 for vinyl because I can. If I had only the DT 1990, I might tell a different story.

Off topic: how do you like VinylStudio? I use Audacity and find it to be pretty cumbersome for anything beyond simply ripping. Naming and pop and click removal is a PITA. You can PM me if you don't want to steer the thread off topic.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,252 of 4,768
Off topic: how do you like VinylStudio? I use Audacity and find it to be pretty cumbersome for anything beyond simply ripping. Naming and pop and click removal is a PITA.
VinylStudio is absolutely brilliant, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It downloads track names and album covers just like ripping a CD. You do have to adjust the track start and end times slightly (they usually miss by a second or two). You can fade a song in or out, and remove clicks on a side or song with just a couple of keystrokes. I can't imagine ripping vinyl without it.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2,254 of 4,768
So I just got my DT1990’s, and they’re absolutely amazing. I upgraded from Fidelio X2’s / HE400i’s, and I cant stop listening to these headphones.

I’ve been looking to upgrade my amp/dac setup to match the DT1999’s and not sure which route to go. I currently have the O2/Odac, and I can’t decide whether to get a better SS solution (joutenheim, etc) or a decent tube amp (darkvoice, Lyr, etc)

Would I notice any big difference in upgrading from the O2/Odac?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,255 of 4,768
So I just got my DT1990’s, and they’re absolutely amazing. I upgraded from Fidelio X2’s / HE400i’s, and I cant stop listening to these headphones.

I’ve been looking to upgrade my amp/dac setup to match the DT1999’s and not sure which route to go. I currently have the O2/Odac, and I can’t decide whether to get a better SS solution (joutenheim, etc) or a decent tube amp (darkvoice, Lyr, etc)

Would I notice any big difference in upgrading from the O2/Odac?

I was on the same boat as you earlier this year. I ended up getting a Violectric V200 and a Chord Hugo; which I intend to use as a desktop only DAC, as soon as it arrives. I upgraded from a Topping A30-D30 stack, which was pretty decent on my DT-770. When I got the V200 the thing I immediately noticed was that I got a whole lot more clarity on my DT-1990 and better bass, the mids remained the same. The bump in clarity was significant, my mother noticed it...my mother.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #2,256 of 4,768
I was on the same boat as you earlier this year. I ended up getting a Violectric V200 and a Chord Hugo; which I intend to use as a desktop only DAC, as soon as it arrives. I upgraded from a Topping A30-D30 stack, which was pretty decent on my DT-770. When I got the V200 the thing I immediately noticed was that I got a whole lot more clarity on my DT-1990 and better bass, the mids remained the same. The bump in clarity was significant, my mother noticed it...my mother.

I also feel the Violectric V200 and DT1990 is a great pairing. I'm Using an iFi iDSD micro black label as a DAC to complete the package.

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #2,257 of 4,768
Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding the DT 1990 Pro as a gaming/casual computer headphone... I've read that the 1990s are a bit on the heavy side, 370g-ish without the cable, does anyone play FPS/games (for longer sessions) with theese and how is it? I have a hard time understadning people complaining about the weight, for longer session since i've never really felt like any headphones i've tried are really fatiguing my neck/head.

I currently game with a pair of DT 990s (Edition) and I'm looking for an upgrade (not only for gaming, im also planing to use them for music purposes) but a little like a "jack of all trades" I think it is called. The 990s are really comfortable but I do think they sit a little to loose/casual sometimes..

Is the 1990 going to be a great gaming/computer headphone or am I better off with a HD 660s because of the lighter weight, and if so, are the HD660s prone to much more sound leakage? The 990s have sort of a perfect sound leaking for me, not enough to annoy my neighbor (somewhat glass-walls where I have my computer).

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #2,258 of 4,768
Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding the DT 1990 Pro as a gaming/casual computer headphone... I've read that the 1990s are a bit on the heavy side, 370g-ish without the cable, does anyone play FPS/games (for longer sessions) with theese and how is it? I have a hard time understadning people complaining about the weight, for longer session since i've never really felt like any headphones i've tried are really fatiguing my neck/head.

I currently game with a pair of DT 990s (Edition) and I'm looking for an upgrade (not only for gaming, im also planing to use them for music purposes) but a little like a "jack of all trades" I think it is called. The 990s are really comfortable but I do think they sit a little to loose/casual sometimes..

Is the 1990 going to be a great gaming/computer headphone or am I better off with a HD 660s because of the lighter weight, and if so, are the HD660s prone to much more sound leakage? The 990s have sort of a perfect sound leaking for me, not enough to annoy my neighbor (somewhat glass-walls where I have my computer).

I don't notice the weight of the DT 1990 Pro at all, even during twelve-hour sessions sitting at my computer. Also, the DT 1990 Pro leakage is really reasonable for an open-back headphone. The 660 will leak a LOT more.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,259 of 4,768
Hi everybody!

I game on my pc 8 to 12h+ a day with my dt 1990 pros on. First couple days they felt so heavy, but comfort improved as the clamping force loosened up and as I got used to the weight. Now I have no issues at all. I used to have a much lighter pair of headphones (HD 598s) so it took me about a week to get used to the dt 1990 pros. Do note that I had to buy a shorter cable from ebay because 1) I'm not a fan of coiled cables and 2) the 3m long straight cable just adds unnecessary weight to the entire thing, not to mention the clutter it adds to my desk.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #2,262 of 4,768
I’m stoked these cans work for so many people. Unfortunately, after a couple of a days of listening, it’s become clear I am not one of those people, ha ha.

I usually like to listen to music at volumes most people consider low. Like very low. Perhaps it’s a combination of factors- my place has pretty decent sound isolation, I usually listen to my open-backs at night when there is less ambient noise, and I’ve always had pretty good ears. I’ve never had to crank anything up to hear it well.

First off, I heard all the good things people like about these cans. They are clear, the bass is well mannered but has some punch and extends very well. The mids are slightly forward without being offensive, and not a single detail is lost. Vocals are slightly further back then I like them, but just by inches. And the treble, while it can definitely get a little bright and peaky, honestly wasn’t something that would be all that terrible... But here’s the kicker: had I been able to play these cans at the volume I prefer.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t in the cards. I was only able to get the good stuff out of these cans when I listened to them at a volume that was simply to loud for me. That alone was basically a deal breaker, but the fact that those treble peaks were now overly-amplified to my ears (and almost painful) clinched it for me. I tried both pads, and while I did like the balanced better, neither was able to solve this issue for me.

I don’t know how people feel about the DT1990 played at low volumes, but for me, they changed dramatically below a certain volume- they felt thin, recessed, muddy, and the bass disappeared.

Just to clarify, they were powered well- my go-to these days is the Sony PHA-2A which puts out decent juice. It’s pushed LCD-2’s just fine, and I currently have some HD650’s in rotation that do very well with it... So it wasn’t amping problem... Ah, well. YMMV.

So now I’m back to square one in terms of finding something similar to an HD650 with better bass quality and extension. I’m still thinking about picking up an HD660S, but I read pretty mixed reviews there. Some people claim the bass is better defined and extends lower... Others say it’s simply better defined. Still others say the bass is essentially identical.

Ooo, maybe a Focal Elex off MD...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2,263 of 4,768
I’m stoked these cans work for so many people. Unfortunately, after a couple of a days of listening, it’s become clear I am not one of those people, ha ha.

I usually like to listen to music at volumes most people consider low. Like very low. Perhaps it’s a combination of factors- my place has pretty decent sound isolation, I usually listen to my open-backs at night when there is less ambient noise, and I’ve always had pretty good ears. I’ve never had to crank anything up to hear it well.

First off, I heard all the good things people like about these cans. They are clear, the bass is well mannered but has some punch and extends very well. The mids are slightly forward without being offensive, and not a single detail is lost. Vocals are slightly further back then I like them, but just by inches. And the treble, while it can definitely get a little bright and peaky, honestly wasn’t something that would be all that terrible... But here’s the kicker: had I been able to play these cans at the volume I prefer.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t in the cards. I was only able to get the good stuff out of these cans when I listened to them at a volume that was simply to loud for me. That alone was basically a deal breaker, but the fact that those treble peaks were now overly-amplified to my ears (and almost painful) clinched it for me. I tried both pads, and while I did like the balanced better, neither was able to solve this issue for me.

I don’t know how people feel about the DT1990 played at low volumes, but for me, they changed dramatically below a certain volume- they felt thin, recessed, muddy, and the bass disappeared.

Just to clarify, they were powered well- my go-to these days is the Sony PHA-2A which puts out decent juice. It’s pushed LCD-2’s just fine, and I currently have some HD650’s in rotation that do very well with it... So it wasn’t amping problem... Ah, well. YMMV.

So now I’m back to square one in terms of finding something similar to an HD650 with better bass quality and extension. I’m still thinking about picking up an HD660S, but I read pretty mixed reviews there. Some people claim the bass is better defined and extends lower... Others say it’s simply better defined. Still others say the bass is essentially identical.

That's a big reason I preferred the Amiron Home over the DT 1990, I didn't have to listen to them loudly to enjoy them like on the DT 1990, I thought the Amiron liked low to moderate volumes while the DT 1990 liked moderate-high volumes the most. The HD 660 S has a similar trait as the DT 1990 as it likes to be played louder. So if that’s what your looking for the HD 660 S will not replace your HD 650. Great for those who listen at those levels, but at lower volumes they don’t sound quite right.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,264 of 4,768

Too bad!!
Interesting, though. I asked about this same thing a couple months ago, but nobody seemed to agree* at the time, so I chalked it up to my amp or my ears. In fact, I even "got used to it" to some degree, but every now and again I'll have them at lower volume and find myself thinking they sound veiled or muddy, or something. I'd have definitely mentioned this if it was something I thought was worth mentioning.
I wonder what it is that makes them more suitable for loud(er) listening? I'd have thought it was the drivers, but if the Amiron are better at lower level, maybe it's the tuning? My PM-3 are definitely my most laid back headphone and also the best for playing at low volume. I always thought it was because they're planar, but maybe it's because of the tuning. Huh. Food for thought.

Also, if returns are on your list of priorities you should probably skip MassDrop, unless they've changed their policy.

*Or, well, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe somebody did agree, but I preferred to hear/remember only what I wanted. Such is the mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back