Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #3,271 of 3,701
Night and day
The T1.2 (got the black edition) is neutral, open and has quite some spark and energy in the trebble, while the DT1770 is more intimate, bigger bass presence and 'in your face'. I like both a lot and they complement each other quite well.

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #3,272 of 3,701
Night and day
The T1.2 (got the black edition) is neutral, open and has quite some spark and energy in the trebble, while the DT1770 is more intimate, bigger bass presence and 'in your face'. I like both a lot and they complement each other quite well.
And if you tried It how would you describe the DT990 250ohm compared to DT1770 and T1 2nd gen?

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3,274 of 3,701
I've had the DT 1770 Pro for a few weeks now, and I think I really like them. Really like them.

I purchased them knowing that I like elevated treble, but man was I fatigued after each of my first few long listens. I bought them also knowing most of my gear is focused on feeding higher impedance headphones, or I probably would have gone for the DT 177X Go.

What I realized here is that I've been listening to music too loud. These things are fantastic to me at lower volumes - the V shape I feel is tuned well to fill in the equal loudness curve and leave you with a more balanced sound.

I think I might save for the DT 1990 at some point soon. I think the 1770 and 1990 would fill out a decent collection aside my HD6xx & HD600.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #3,275 of 3,701
I've had the DT 1770 Pro for a few weeks now, and I think I really like them. Really like them.

I purchased them knowing that I like elevated treble, but man was I fatigued after each of my first few long listens. I bought them also knowing most of my gear is focused on feeding higher impedance headphones, or I probably would have gone for the DT 177X Go.

What I realized here is that I've been listening to music too loud. These things are fantastic to me at lower volumes - the V shape I feel is tuned well to fill in the equal loudness curve and leave you with a more balanced sound.

I think I might save for the DT 1990 at some point soon. I think the 1770 and 1990 would fill out a decent collection aside my HD6xx & HD600.
Totally agree. At higher volumes, it gets quite fatiguing. That being said, I typically try to listen at modest levels (40% or so) but you'd be surprised how your ears adjust to lower volumes. If your source is good, the DT 1770 Pro sounds great at more reasonable levels without getting too fatiguing. That being said, it's far from relaxing, so I can only do 3 hour sessions, max, at a time.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #3,276 of 3,701

I’ve had mine about 2 weeks. I had them with the t1.2 T5p.2 and focal elegia on demo, with the intention of keeping one. Due to work going south i recently had to sell most of my kit, which included stellias and zmf VCs. So hard act to follow, stellias being my reference hp and VCs W-shape fun.

Initially I thought the T5p’s were the keeper as they had a pretty neutral sound with a slight bass bump, mids that for are absent on the t1 and sweeter treble with none of the latter’s sibilant tendencies. The only downside which comes more down to personal preference than an objective flaw, was I found their studio heritage came through a bit too much and I found them
Slightly clinical and maybe a little unnatural (again highly subjective). The t1.2s I’ve had before and it’s a real love hate, because their imaging and bass detail is totl but the mids are no where (for someone who likes a forward tuning of the stellias) and the treble gets hot too often. Overall they sound veiled when switching from other HPs. Then came the elegia’s which were an easy decision to keep, they have a large proportion of everything I love about the stellias, but with perhaps and even more organic and balanced tonal tuning, they just can’t match the detail, but as I’ve had to downgrade my Dac too this isn’t much of an issue. There mids are just way more sophisticated, layered and dynamic than any of the beyers. There’s not a trace of the studio, but they don’t have the bombastic fun of the zmf vc’s, enter bargain of the year the dt1770 pros (£328 on Amazon In UK). I have to listen at low to moderate volumes due to a sensitivity in my right ear, hence my preference for closed backs. I also should mention I listen to predominantly electronic music (FourTet, Trentemøller, etc) with a smattering of 80/90 indie rock (my bloody valentine, joy division, etc). The 1770’s are just plain addictive, they actually have quite a neutral sig apart from the obvs bass bump. I’m
In no way a bass head, But the bass goes lower than any other hp I’ve owned and is surprisingly accurate, as Im hearing bits of basslines I’ve never heard before. The mids are flat but all there and the treble is precise and sweet at the volumes I listen. They’re not as detailed as the other cans but not by much. I had intended to keep one Hp but found a good 2nd hand deal on the elegias so they both stay and I don’t feel at all short changed in my search to replace the stellia and VCs.

2 weeks later I’m listening 70% the time to the 1770!

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,277 of 3,701
Just want to share pictures of my new dt 1770 pro's. @jfunk and his team have done a sublime job on them. Not just the cable, which looks even better in flesh, but also the balanced conversion (the 4-pin mini xlr looks oem), the mass loading and damping kit (helps with stage and bass detail) , and they also converted the straight cable to a 4-pin termination, to run off a 3.5mm/6.3mm single ended
I have to say, i personally don't find them fatiguing at all, but that may primarily be down to my music tastes and the fact i love a good ol' eq courtesy of Neutron Music player pro.
20200318_165239.jpg
20200318_163320.jpg
20200318_165017.jpg
20200318_164810.jpg
20200318_160217.jpg
20200318_163501.jpg
20200318_163727.jpg

..... And the sweets were a, uhhh, sweet touch! :wink:

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3,278 of 3,701
I like the idea, but prefer slimmer cables myself. The paracord wrapping around the cable going to the right speaker is the icing on the cake, though. Really like that move!
Wonder how easy it is to replace the 3pin connector by a 4pin. I did a replaceable cable mod for my DT770 myself and was done in less than an hour.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #3,279 of 3,701
Yesterday I got the Dekoni choice leather pads for these and they are the perfect pads between the platinum faux leater pads and real leather pads.
For the DT1770 I always liked the faux leather dekoni pads more than the leather pads in terms of sound quality, but they failed short in terms of comfort quality. The choice leather (still faux) takes the best of both world. How they act up during the summer is something I can't tell just yet though, but these are a keeper!
With the newer dekoni pads for beyerdynamic you can actually use the lip/twist & turn which results in a better appeal.

Next up are vesper audio alcantera pads!

May 13, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #3,281 of 3,701
Yesterday I got the Dekoni choice leather pads for these and they are the perfect pads between the platinum faux leater pads and real leather pads.
For the DT1770 I always liked the faux leather dekoni pads more than the leather pads in terms of sound quality, but they failed short in terms of comfort quality. The choice leather (still faux) takes the best of both world. How they act up during the summer is something I can't tell just yet though, but these are a keeper!
With the newer dekoni pads for beyerdynamic you can actually use the lip/twist & turn which results in a better appeal.

Next up are vesper audio alcantera pads!
What's the difference between the standard PU leather and the "Choice" PU leather?

May 13, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #3,282 of 3,701
What's the difference between the standard PU leather and the "Choice" PU leather?

Fake leather is called PU for good reason. I'm surprised to hear there is more than one grade of crap. It's amazing what we're expected to tolerate these days!

May 13, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #3,284 of 3,701
Visit dekoni's site to read more about their new 'crap'. They will explain it a lot better than I can. From a consumers perspective the choice pads are softer and feel more like the real 'crap'.
Thanks. I wanted to get an opinion that’s separate from the marketing piece. I think your explanation works for me. 🙂

May 13, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,285 of 3,701
Beyerdynamic offers many different pads which can fit the DT1770. All round shaped DT series pads will fit. I would rather try some of this variety then look elsewhere, maybe because the factory is in the same state in which I live. So the parts are easy to get. And not very expensive. On my T5p 2nd the pads are uncomfortable to my earlobes. I will probably try the MX300 pads on them. Because both cans are closed the bass should improve and the MX300 pads are said to be very comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back