Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,551 of 3,701
Been looking through this thread. What if any do the Leather ear pads change with this headphone. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #2,552 of 3,701
  Hi, 

(IMHO) I finally solved the 1770 hollow mids problem. I was puzzled why the 1770 sounded so good at exhibition but sounds weird at home. In most places the 1770 is attached to the Beyer headphone amp which is usually set to output impedance of 100 Ohm. Those of you who have iDSD Micro at home, use the 1770 in Turbo mode, you will find that mids are fully fleshed - but at turbo you will face with right channel softer than left channel problem (which is iDSD Micro problem at low value). Now I am hunting for a portable with high output impedance at medium gain.

Track tested was Meat Loaf- You took the words right out of my mouth

I pair my DT1770 with ALO CDM. I think it brings the mid forward a bit. I personally don't find DT1770 mids hollow but a bit laid back. It's not bad, i could still enjoy them very much.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,555 of 3,701
  Has anybody noticed DT 1770/1990 scaling better with solid state amps than it does with tube amps?

IDK, the Continental Dual Mono mentioned above is a tube/SS hybrid amplifier. I do know my ALO National gives the 1770 the best sound for me.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,560 of 3,701
So I have been comparing these to the T5P Gen 2. I like the DT1770 Better. Here is why. I think they have a cleaner sound. The sound stage is bigger on the T5P but I always feel like I am listing with a HALL EFFECT sound on the T5P... So the T5P are going back and I am keeping the DT1770
 Only problem I have with the DT1770.. The Mini XLR connection is faulty. When  I  wiggle the cords, the sound cuts out of the right ear cup. Both cables do this. I also tried another XLR from my AKG and the same thing happens.. Now I have to try and get them exchanged. Sucks. But they sound really good.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,561 of 3,701
So I have been comparing these to the T5P Gen 2. I like the DT1770 Better. Here is why. I think they have a cleaner sound. The sound stage is bigger on the T5P but I always feel like I am listing with a HALL EFFECT sound on the T5P... So the T5P are going back and I am keeping the DT1770
 Only problem I have with the DT1770.. The Mini XLR connection is faulty. When  I  wiggle the cords, the sound cuts out of the right ear cup. Both cables do this. I also tried another XLR from my AKG and the same thing happens.. Now I have to try and get them exchanged. Sucks. But they sound really good.

Interesting. I got the T5p.2 yesterday so it's way too early to draw any conclusions. But first impressions are positive. More bass and less bright than expected.

I don't have the the DT 1770 anymore, I send it back when I got the DT 1990. So for me it will be between these 2. Or maybe I will just keep both. Again it's very early but I think it's more balanced and more detailed than both the 1770 and 1990. Soundstage is clearly bigger and I haven't noticed this HALL effect. Would you say artificial soundstage?

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #2,562 of 3,701
While the T5P may be a little better, I just prefer the sound of the 1770 more. And I also found the DT1170 fit me just a hair better. Anyways, I saved myself a little money too.

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,563 of 3,701
Hi everyone
This is my first post on this site and i'm glad to join you guys here as i find you're reviews and comment very helpful
Firstly i should apologize for my poor english cause i'm not a native but i'll try to do my best and make as less mistakes as i can
Actually i live in iran and as some of you may know due to sanctions i have hardly any accessebilty to audio equipments and there is only one pro audio shop in the whole damn country and no returning policies or warranty moreover due to our low currency ratio this equipments are stupidly expensive here(imagine saving six month pay chek to purchase an decent amp/dac!)
Having said that,it's only matter of love for music to pay such money
Anyway i just wanted to give a background of my situation.
I'm really interested in the reviews that i read on DT1770 and believe thats what i wanted , to clarify my words i had sennheiser ie80 iem and frankly speaking i dont enjoy them anymore due to their bass leakage to midranges and closed soundstage and i'm completely aware of that an iem cant beat a full size headphones with so much bigger drivers but i'm wondering if the DT1770 solves my problem or not
You know i mostly tend to listen to rock , metal and a bit of house and don't get me wrong i love having a deep bass but i really hate that if it leak to mids at any cost...so knowing that , do you still recomend buying this hps?
Secondly i need and amp/dac to drive this beauties but due to my little accessibility there are few choices around ( i really appreciate a clean detailed wide sound with a little touch of deep base on top ) so wich of this that are listed below you recomend and if possible please let me know their SQ & sound signitures as well :
1-chord mojo
2-ak300
3-sound blaster e5
And by the way there is a new astell & kern product comming named xb10 wich in terms of size and portability really fits my needs but i reaaly don't know how it sounds and what chips or amp is used in that
Has anyone heard of them?if so please let me know cause it might be the most convinient purchase to me!
(And GOD it took me an hour to write this on my tinny phone:grin:)
Thanks for your kind replys in advance
Hope you guys be well and cheers:beers:

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,565 of 3,701
Strange how noone answered me
It seems that nobody is intrested in this thread anymore:)
Today i went to my local Audio shop ( which as i forementioned is the only pro audio shop in the whole country) and they strongly recommended not to buy DT1770s cuase they may sound too dull and thin as they are pro not high end gears moreover there were no DT1770 for testing
So i'm completely left amused cause by far every review here is saying that they're bassy musical and mid lush headphones but those guys told a complete different story and suggessted buyin T5P 2nd gen
Could anyone comment on this pleaseeeee? I really don't know what to do as my budget is also very limited and i want to buy the best
Ps: they told me i can't drive them with ak300 properly which seemed weired to me! Also they mentioned that they are no more interested in importing astell & kern xb10 due to it's very disapointing sound production

Users who are viewing this thread

Back