Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
May 8, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,029 of 3,701
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a DAC/AMP combo for these headphones. Currently I'm running them through a soundblaster Z and a mingda vlave amp but want to try and improve on this. I love these for their bass and listen to alot of hard techno, drum & bass, hip hop etc and this would be what I'm mainly listening to. However, I do listen to alot of metal and find these nicely suited for this genre. The jazz/blues/rock I've listened to sound very nice as well.

I've read some reviews on Amazon saying that solid state amp would be more suited to these headphones than a valve amp?

I'm looking at ther Schiit Lyr 2 for a vlave amp 2nd hand or a Magni + Modi as my budget would be $5-600AUD max.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

May 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2,030 of 3,701
  Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a DAC/AMP combo for these headphones. Currently I'm running them through a soundblaster Z and a mingda vlave amp but want to try and improve on this. I love these for their bass and listen to alot of hard techno, drum & bass, hip hop etc and this would be what I'm mainly listening to. However, I do listen to alot of metal and find these nicely suited for this genre. The jazz/blues/rock I've listened to sound very nice as well.

I've read some reviews on Amazon saying that solid state amp would be more suited to these headphones than a valve amp?

I'm looking at ther Schiit Lyr 2 for a vlave amp 2nd hand or a Magni + Modi as my budget would be $5-600AUD max.

Cheers.

======  Chord Mojo  ========

May 9, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,032 of 3,701
Feliks Audio Espressivo :)

The DT1770 were shown off at Canjam London last year using my Espressivo and they make a great pairing.

May 10, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,034 of 3,701
What about the Soundblaster E5?

I have it for dt 1770. It has enough power for ANY need and an advanced EQ and audio enhancements app with it. It connects either directly or via bluetooth and is natively driven through IOS, Android and Windows as well. I think you can get it for around $200. I think for this price this beast is unbeatable.

I had an O2/Odac before but the amp has failed for now. I might fix it though. It is VERY good. I can say the same about the E5 as well. It also has two headphones contacs so you and your headphone-friend can join the party :)

If you need bass in volumes  I think you can get more than you can endure ...

BR

Ivan

May 10, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #2,035 of 3,701

I have it for dt 1770. It has enough power for ANY need and an advanced EQ and audio enhancements app with it. It connects either directly or via bluetooth and is natively driven through IOS, Android and Windows as well. I think you can get it for around $200. I think for this price this beast is unbeatable.

I had an O2/Odac before but the amp has failed for now. I might fix it though. It is VERY good. I can say the same about the E5 as well. It also has two headphones contacs so you and your headphone-friend can join the party :)

BR

Ivan

I have the E5 and it runs just about all my headphones fine. It's a little on the warm side and sounds pretty good to me. At fairly high volume levels some, including the DT 1770 will start to distort a bit, but that's at a volume to loud for me to comfortable listen. The only headphone I have that it can't drive well ad my listen level are the HE-500.

I love the BT feature and use the E5 mainly for IEMs and on the go or travel. At home  when I use my headphones I use my desktop solution, Audio-GD NFB 11 with and without the Project Polaris AMP.

May 10, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #2,036 of 3,701
I'm currently running my DT1770's through a SoundBlaster Zx as the DAC which is the same DAC as on the SoundBlaster E5 (CS4398). 

Maybe the setup I currently have is quite good already and I should just keep what I have for now.

So from SB Z, front speaker out to MingDa MC66-AE tube amp which I have to say is a nice sound and much nicer than my onboard audio.

I did test with a loaner HRT Music Streamer II as the DAC but this cut down the bass and brightened the treble so took it out almost straight away!

May 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,037 of 3,701

BR

Ivan

The E5 has pretty good synergy with the DT 1770, of course there are better amps for it, but it is an excellent portable solution for the DT 1770.

May 10, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #2,038 of 3,701
Hi Guys,

Cheers.

FiiO E12
FiiO E09K + E17 Alpen
Oppo HA-2

I used all the three options with DT1770. All decent.

Or, beyerdynamic A20 that is solid and within your budget: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A20-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B00ECUJHAS

Or, you might want to buy a DAP at $600 AUD that can also be used as an external USB DAC/Amp with your computer. DT 1770 can be driven to good results with almost any amp above $200, I guess.

May 11, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,040 of 3,701
FiiO E12
FiiO E09K + E17 Alpen
Oppo HA-2

I used all the three options with DT1770. All decent.

Or, beyerdynamic A20 that is solid and within your budget: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A20-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B00ECUJHAS

Or, you might want to buy a DAP at $600 AUD that can also be used as an external USB DAC/Amp with your computer. DT 1770 can be driven to good results with almost any amp above $200, I guess.

Thanks for the reccomendations, I will try to demo as much as I can before I make my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back