Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 8, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #31 of 3,701
You're not prying...
Closer to DT 770 Pro concerning frequency response.
Closer to T 70 concerning better resolution and low distorion.
But it's worth trying it out.

"Talking about headphones' sound is like dancing about architecture."

(Frank Zappa, modified)

I would definitely put it closer to the DT770 ... of all the models I tried yesterday, they were closest to the T5p actually

for this non treblehead (non bass head as well) the tonal profile of the 1770 is my favourite with the T5p hot on its heels, not saying it is superior but more enjoyable TO ME. It was able to deliver sub bass notes which the T70p attenuated. T1, T5p, and DT770 were all able to. The bass is precise and controlled but with great slam

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #32 of 3,701
  You're not prying...
Closer to DT 770 Pro concerning frequency response.
Closer to T 70 concerning better resolution and low distorion.
But it's worth trying it out.

"Talking about headphones' sound is like dancing about architecture."

(Frank Zappa, modified)

Thanks, hope some local store stocks it soon enough

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #33 of 3,701
  Thanks, hope some local store stocks it soon enough

Contact beyerdynamic USA, if you are missing it in stores.
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/contact.html

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #34 of 3,701
Contact beyerdynamic USA, if you are missing it in stores.
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/contact.html

Klaus, your HK distributor told me yesterday that the street date is unconfirmed, do you have any idea when?

Also the HK brochure no longer list the DT770 in the product line ... is that suggesting something?

Lastly... would there be lower impedance variants for the DT1770?

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #35 of 3,701
Klaus, your HK distributor told me yesterday that the street date is unconfirmed, do you have any idea when?

Also the HK brochure no longer list the DT770 in the product line ... is that suggesting something?

Lastly... who there be lower impedance variants for the DT1770?

Production has started already, but I don't know precisely, which distributor receives which quantity when.
DT 770 Pro will continue, of course. I don't know, why they don't list it.
Which sense would it make, if I claim that the DT 1770 Pro is the higher-grade alternative to the DT 770 Pro, if the 770 stopped?

About the impedance question: Please understand that I cannot say anything about (possible) future changes in our product portfolio.
Maybe ask Wikileaks?
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #36 of 3,701
Aug 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #37 of 3,701
Aug 8, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #38 of 3,701

I'm counting the days!  
biggrin.gif
  And thanks again for all the info.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 3,701
hate to say this Hansellman but at that price point it will need to be seriously amazing for you guys to sell them in the audiophile market.

However... if your R&D guys can figure out a way to also have that removable cable on the DT770 AND actually sell the cables in shops for less than 40 euros (long sad story about spares availability that made me almost throw away my beyers and buy a pair of Shure) you are going to shift a lot more of those.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #40 of 3,701
Originally Posted by hanselmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 days. Be patient, folks.

What is the intended frequency response tuning for the DT-1770? Beyerdynamic headphones are somewhat notorious for elevated bass and highly elevated upper treble is the DT-1770 following this as well? I wonder if that is intentional and considering these are for professional usage the reasons why.

As general feedback I don't think mini-XLR was a good idea as it doesn't make balanced setups possible unless you use 4 pin mini XLR which you haven't.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #41 of 3,701
  hate to say this Hansellman but at that price point it will need to be seriously amazing for you guys to sell them in the audiophile market.

However... if your R&D guys can figure out a way to also have that removable cable on the DT770 AND actually sell the cables in shops for less than 40 euros (long sad story about spares availability that made me almost throw away my beyers and buy a pair of Shure) you are going to shift a lot more of those.

Most pro sound engineers we showed the DT 1770 Pro to, found the stiff price tag appropriate.
Selling it to audiophile users, is - of course - very welcome, but was not the goal when developing and positionning the DT 1770 Pro. In our portfolio it's the DT 770 Pro's big brother, not a substitute for T 70.

If you have aver issues with spare parts availability, you should get in touch with the respective distributor in ocu country. You can find them on our website.

If this doesn't help, contact our own service department: spareparts @beyerdynamic.de

Thanks for you comment on the DT 770 Pro, by the way!

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #42 of 3,701

What is the intended frequency response tuning for the DT-1770? Beyerdynamic headphones are somewhat notorious for elevated bass and highly elevated upper treble is the DT-1770 following this as well? I wonder if that is intentional and considering these are for professional usage the reasons why.

As general feedback I don't think mini-XLR was a good idea as it doesn't make balanced setups possible unless you use 4 pin mini XLR which you haven't.

Neutral, powerful, transparent sound with both enough bass and treble, but not over-pronounced. The too-much or too-little dicussion about bass and treble for headphones is a bit tricky, since tastes differ dramatically. The DT 1770 Pro sounds the way, you would hope for, when knowing 1. our professional headphones 2. knowing the benefits in sound of Tesla technology.

Our pro users were happy to see, we use Mini-XLR as a plug standard: robust, reliable, locking-mechanism, can be fixed by hand, if necessary. Balanced-mode use was not a goal, keeping in mind the pro target group.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #43 of 3,701
By the way, Google shows the DT770 as a complete disaster...
https://www.google.co.il/search?q=Dt770+bass+issue&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=VAzHVfatO8XdUe6lqLAC#q=Dt770+bass+distortion
Hope the DT1770 will be better.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #44 of 3,701
By the way, Google shows the DT770 as a complete disaster..
Just type and google  "DT770 bass distortion" and look for the results, thousands of evidences as a prove for a serious production bug...

Hope the DT1770 will be better.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #45 of 3,701

Neutral, powerful, transparent sound with both enough bass and treble, but not over-pronounced. The too-much or too-little dicussion about bass and treble for headphones is a bit tricky, since tastes differ dramatically. The DT 1770 Pro sounds the way, you would hope for, when knowing 1. our professional headphones 2. knowing the benefits in sound of Tesla technology.

Our pro users were happy to see, we use Mini-XLR as a plug standard: robust, reliable, locking-mechanism, can be fixed by hand, if necessary. Balanced-mode use was not a goal, keeping in mind the pro target group.

Do you consider the DT-770 neutral?

The too-much or too-little dicussion about bass and treble for headphones is a bit tricky, since tastes differ dramatically.

You describe it as a reference, studio and monitoring headphone in your description. Is that a matter of taste or are you working towards a target curve? It's always interesting to know the reasoning behind the frequency response tuning.

The DT 1770 Pro sounds the way, you would hope for, when knowing 1. our professional headphones 2. knowing the benefits in sound of Tesla technology.

This seems a very roundabout way of saying something quite simple. The same emphasized bass and emphasized treble (V shape) that Beyerdynamic is known for. I thought the benefit to Tesla was efficiency because this seems a step backwards from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back