Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Sep 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #376 of 3,701
Sweet, thanks!

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #377 of 3,701
  How does the ear pad replacement work now, the same old fiddly way or did they devise a simpler way to do it? 

The ring holding the pad now has a small dent that helps with insertion: you start by inserting the lip there and then just move the pad round, letting it slip in. Plus the lip is now hidden, not like with the DT770.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #378 of 3,701
Hello @Juan Virgo or anybody else, I'll be bringing to light some findings about graphs, and this is only meant to be on a scientific level - nothing personal.

When I was new to this hobby, I also thought that FR (frequency response) graphs were the holy-grail in determining a headphone's sonic performance. And embarrassingly, it took me around 7 years to finally realise the following - on my own accord (for some reason I've never seen these mentioned on Head-Fi before):

Firstly, the FR graph DOES give an accurate measurement of the amplitude of which headphone is able to produce throughout the frequency spectrum (provided the headphone was measured on a proper system). And, unless you have a preference for a boosted sound (treble head, basshead, etc.), then yes, a semi-flat FR is ideal in order to sound closer to natural / lifelike. But that's where it ends: just to show the FR at any given tone, and nothing more.

What a FR graph does NOT show is: The clarity / detail, instrument separation, dynamics / 'punch', PRaT, snap, treble energy, shrillness, soundstage vs. 'congested', airyness, veil, etc. (basically anything from the describing a sound glossary). While these terms may come off as technical babbel to many, these elements can make a radical difference in sound quality. More-or-less the only way to judge a headphone is to actually hear it first, because often the actual sound signature of a headphone can be way different from what you expected from a FR graph.

Getting back on topic of the DT 1770's, I will now show the FR graph for the original DT 770. This is just for a (very vague) baseline of the 1770; also compared to the DT 880 and HD 600.

As you can see, the original DT 770 (blue) is slightly elevated in the low frequencies, yet still performs great.

IMO, I would say the 2nd most useful graph is the square wave response graph. This shows the ability of the headphone to produce what is essentially a pulsating on/off tone, to reveal its' clarity. The ideal response for this graph would be a perfect square shape, as such: (of which may be technically impossible to achieve)

And here is the square wave response graph of these same three headphones. As you can see, (and much to my surprise), the DT 770 wins in this regard over the DT 880 and HD 600 (in the accuracy of a 50hz square wave response anyway)

Granted the DT 1770 is said to be only loosely based off the DT 770, but the take home point is that FR graphs only give you a vague overview of the sound signature of a headphone. You can better gauge its' sonic performance by delving into other graphs such as square wave response, or better yet trying it first-hand.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #379 of 3,701

...Finally, I have also listened to the Oppo PM 2 and PM 3. I felt the PM-3 as warm, but with less bass. So I think the PM-3 has sligthly stronger mids. The PM-2 was actually quite similar, also warm and otherwise balanced. But he was more airy than the PM-3 and the DT 1770 Pro, the stage seems to be greater, like the other open headphones.

Conclusion

Unfortunately it wasn't good enough for a purchase, at least at first sight. Some minutes ago I arrived back home and put the PC 360 on my head and I realized the DT 1770's strengths. Detail-rich, voluminous, punchier - practically on all fronts a step forward for me. But it wasn't "flashing" me that much that I bought it despite the last doubts about the comfort. I'll probably go again to the store next week and listen more to the Oppos and the DT 1770 Pro. Perhaps the comfort is simply a matter of habit.

So would you please clarify: Are you saying the DT 1770 has more bass than the PM-3? Also if you get a chance, go ahead and try it with a different amp since you may get different results. And yes, please compare the PM-3 to the DT 1770 again when you go back to the store. Thank you!

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #380 of 3,701
hi my 2¢, PM3 sounded smaller and while the bass might be more extended, bass impact and weight are more present and better delineated on the DT1770. PM3 sounded subjectively inoffensive and less involving to me. (both were played out of a Fiio X3ii using 16/44 and hi res flacs).

I wanted to like the pm3, it would have saved me a lot more money, I would now need to save up for the DT1770.

I found the DT1770 less bleached and top lit than all the other over ear beyerdynamics I auditioned.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #381 of 3,701

So would you please clarify: Are you saying the DT 1770 has more bass than the PM-3? Also if you get a chance, go ahead and try it with a different amp since you may get different results. And yes, please compare the PM-3 to the DT 1770 again when you go back to the store. Thank you!

Yes, this was my impression. Did you expect it to be the other way round? I'll compare them again next week.

btw. the prices of Oppo products are so bad here in europe. The PM-2 for example costs 699$ from Oppo, but 999€ here in my country. Thats the T1/HD800 pricerange more or less. The PM-1 costs 1399€ ... if they made the euro price equal to the dollar price the Oppos would have been my favorites.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #382 of 3,701
After trying the PM-3 several times, I found it to be too dark and muddy, quote on par with the V-Moda M80 - that is to say, too much bass emphasis and not punchy/detailed enough for me. So I guess I can accommodate if the DT 1770 has more bass emphasis since you say it's punchier / more dynamic than the PM-3, right? But yes please do compare the PM-3 and 1770 once more if you can, to get a more clear picture which has more bass. And I sure hope the 1770 has more treble clarity than those two!

The DT 1770 may be larger and more expensive than the PM-3 but I sure think it boasts more unique features / design, and from what I've heard it must be sonically superior too.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #383 of 3,701
If anyone can compare it to the DT-250 that'd be much appreciated. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #384 of 3,701
  If anyone can compare it to the DT-250 that'd be much appreciated. 
beyersmile.png

My DT250 250ohms is in my office now. so I can't provide direct comparison but by memory.

DT1770 is a bit similar to DT250 in tonal balance, especially its dark, stout sound.
But much clearer treble and wider soundstage, heavier & tighter bass. and detail is far step-forward.
If you like DT150 or DT250 (warmer and darker beyers), DT1770 will be idealistic upgrade.  

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #385 of 3,701
Thanks for that! I both hate and love that fact... hmm. Will save some money and try them out next year! :)

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #390 of 3,701
I'm interested in knowing how well the DT1770 would stack up against a custom-made closed headphone like the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog. I own a DT880 and I am somewhat fond of the Beyer sound (although a little bit too analytical and neutral mids)

Do you think the new Tesla driver can be on par with a modded T50RP as far as tonality and bass goes? One thing that the planar T50RP does well is not fatigue my ears. The DT880 doesn't fatigue either, but it comes off as more distant sounding in the vocal timbre and I don't hear as many microdetails or ambience. The HD600 is a good headphone but it isn't as detail focused as I would like and of course the bass on either DT880 or HD600 doesn't hit as hard as the closed Alpha Dog does.

So when someone gets one in, please do compare to TH900/Alpha Dogs if you have them. A $600 closed-back Beyer should be able to compete in a similar price range. Also the Alpha Dogs are now only $500 due to their end-of-life sale. (Dan purchased the last of the T50RP stock and is going with the more capable Ether / Ether C drivers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back