Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #3,046 of 3,701
Z7 are trash. Get the 1770. They are much better. The t5p are not as good either. I do like the Amiron wireless as a comfortable closed back, but they don't isolate well. The 1770 isolate better.

What specifically were the things you DIDN'T like about the Z7? I've read that it's too bassy, but others say it's not.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #3,048 of 3,701
Mediocre sound quality. It is not as clear as the 1770. It has good bass slam, but the overall clarity is lacking in comparison to the 1770. It's not so much about EQ of the phones or any of that. That's adjustable using Poweramp. It's overall SQ. The Z7 were just really disappointing for the price. They were okay, but back and forth with my Amiron Home, and the Home just murdered them.

You use Poweramp too? Nice! Yeah it's my favorite as well.

I had to EQ my 1770 to make them sound better as initially I liked them a lot but not loved, but the EQ'ing made a difference. But yeah, obviously there are some things you CAN'T improve through EQ'ing. lol

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,049 of 3,701
I always EQ. Every headphone I've had benefits. The 1770 is the best closed back I've found so far. The LCD2 c are probably better... Well, they are better but they are huge and cost $900.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,050 of 3,701
Mediocre sound quality. It is not as clear as the 1770.

I read many feedbacks, and my understanding is that Z7 is much more laid back and non-fatigue, while 1770 is more aggressive and into your face, so maybe you like 1770 tonality more.
Also they now have Z7M2 which has less bass and more clarity.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #3,051 of 3,701
It's not about in your face or not. Like I said, I EQ. It's more about over clarity. They are not as detailed. 1770 just has better clarity. I can't speak to the Z7m2. However, the DT 1770 is $200 less. If open vs closed doesn't matter, the Amiron Home is better than both.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,052 of 3,701
I always EQ. Every headphone I've had benefits. The 1770 is the best closed back I've found so far. The LCD2 c are probably better... Well, they are better but they are huge and cost $900.

Nice! I just started EQ'ing my headphones recently. Pretty good at it, but just recently a friend of mine on here was able to come up with a better one, so been using that. It's for Poweramp, so you would just have to import it into your Poweramp and it will automatically show up. Let me know if interested.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #3,053 of 3,701
HOWEVER, when listening to rock & pop, and something with a bit of bass slam, the 1770's just nail-it! I would much prefer to listen to the 1770's when listening to this type of genre. They're VERY fun cans! :gs1000smile:

There's a lot to like about the 1770s, but I eventually sold them (and bought E-MU Teaks) because I found they had a big flaw for a lot of the rock music I listen to -- they have a noticeable dip at around 200hz, which had the effect of sucking the mid-upper bass rhythm and punch out of a lot of tracks. Other than that, I thought they were pretty good -- super comfortable, good isolation, mids forward enough to give nice presence without being shouty, and highs with plenty of energy but not Beyerdynamic-style overkill.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #3,055 of 3,701
Several Amazon reviews say they have smaller cavity and folks complain that they don't completely encapsulate ears, which I guess would be unpleasant. Did you notice this issue yourself?

Those "folks" must have incredibly large ears then, cuz I DID NOT have ANY of those issues with my Dekonis. As a matter of fact, not only are they more comfortable than the stock pads, they actually IMPROVED the sound (including deepening the bass sound) of my 1770. I couldn't recommend them more my friend! :L3000:

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,056 of 3,701
There's a lot to like about the 1770s, but I eventually sold them (and bought E-MU Teaks) because I found they had a big flaw for a lot of the rock music I listen to -- they have a noticeable dip at around 200hz, which had the effect of sucking the mid-upper bass rhythm and punch out of a lot of tracks. Other than that, I thought they were pretty good -- super comfortable, good isolation, mids forward enough to give nice presence without being shouty, and highs with plenty of energy but not Beyerdynamic-style overkill.

I noticed that as well. Sub bass extension is good, but the mid bass slam is missing, even with EQ. I listen primarily to hardcore, and metalcore and the mid bass is important. That was the one draw back I have for these. However, I have yet to find a better closed back at the price point.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #3,058 of 3,701
Beyerdynamic entered some loopy land. The closed-back cans have problems with bass impact while the open ones (DT 1990 Pro) are great in that regard.

I always assumed the mid-upper bass dip in the 1770s was to prevent bass bleeding into mids, which can be a problem with closed cans, but maybe there was another reason to tune them that way. The 1990s have decent bass impact but I wouldn't call them basshead cans by any means (and they still pale beside the slam of Fostex biodynamic drivers). Both are marketed as studio monitors, which suggests they're going to have some neutrality to them.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,059 of 3,701
No, they are not for bassheads. But there is plenty of bass in all the right ways when the recording has it -- from the usual hard electronic thump through rock drums and guitars to plain on piano. It does not just play, it hits properly.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #3,060 of 3,701
I ended up joining the DT 1770 club a few days ago. I should get them in the mail in the next couple days. I currently own the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home as well, so the DT 1770 should make for an excellent closed back companion for the Amiron. I am probably in the minority on this forum, but I don't feel the need to own many different headphones at once. I like to have one open back, and one closed back. I will put up my impressions once I get the DT 1770. If anyone wants, I can do a comparison of the DT 1770 and the Amiron as well. My DAC is an SMSL M8A, and my headphone amp is the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp. This DAC and AMP are both very neutral in their sound signature, so these will allow me to generate a completely uncolored opinion of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back