Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,575

theobservatory.

100+ Head-Fier
Haven't been around here for quite a while now, but I'm back with a vengeance - not too sure if that's more good than bad = )

Anyway, I was intent on getting a new pair of cans today. Headed down to Jaben here in Singapore to audition a few cans.

Came across the Beyerdynamic DT 150, which I remember using in the studios back in school for monitoring purposes.

Plugged in via the new Visely headphone amp to my iPod Classic and I instantly fell in love!

There are so many words that I could use to describe these solid pair of cans, but if I were to pick just one it'd be: Natural.

My oh my, its smooth, liquid, organic and lush, yet clear, articulate and oh so detailed as well. It's got just the right mix of sonic properties for my tastes.

Perfect for Jazz and Classical yet versatile enough for me to enjoy my Hip-Hop, Indie/Alternative and Electronica/Downtempo tracks as well.

I'm in heaven now = )

Anyone else around here listened/owned/tried out the DT 150 before? Tried searching but there's an awfully sparse amount of info about it on our forums.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 2,575
By the way Jaben is an awesome store here in Singapore. If you ever vist this part of South-east Asia, do drop by the Adelphi shopping mall and head straight to Jaben. Uncle Wilson is a really affable chap who's more than willing to sort anyone out when it comes to head-fi.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 2,575
I have the Beyerdynamic DT150 & DT250/80ohm. It's an classic all-rounder studio monitor, still favorable by lots of professionals and audiophiles.

Judging by its look, I nicked named the DT150 "The German Tank". The size of this headphone spread on the head is little amusing to look at.

The sound, brilliant! Just liked mentioned, the sound is organic and have realism to live staging and performances. The sonic signature of this headphone is the smooth articulation of the notes in the music. Among the closed headphones I have auditioned, the DT150's extension to the highs and lows is splendid.

If you think the Beyerdynamic DT150's signature captivates you and would like to experience a slightly different but still as much enjoyable as the DT150, you might wish to try out the DT250 for a fun, relaxed headphone for playback on your favorite songs. I would recommend the DT250 (250ohms > 80ohms) after having doing little more read-ups and reviews.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 2,575
After doing some 'research', I also ended up buying a pair of DT-150's about two weeks ago. Some posts on a Singaporean forum made me pull the trigger. I am still waiting for my Darkvoice Figaro amp, so I have only been able to listen to these phones directly plugged into my iPod Classic.

I loved the sound from the beginning and after about 30 hours now, they are even start to sound better. I try not to become over enthusiastic, but this is very, very hard...

My feeling is that you have to pull the sound out of these cans: you really have to listen, to analyze, to open yourself for the fabulous sound it produces. When you are there for the music, the music is there for you.

Every time I listen to a specific piece of music, I hear another nuance in it. These cans are very alert, but they do not shout at you, and do also not throw it all over you. Instead they sound civilized, well mannered but still enthusiastic.

Oh yeah... I was afraid for to much bass, I hate that... Bass is great but they do not reproduce more bass than there originally is.

I can not wait for my amp to arrive...

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 2,575
Is this it?

P1310026-2ePostF.jpg

P1310023e.jpg

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 2,575
Very interesting review guys. I may just pick these cans up for Christmas instead of the Sennheiser HD25.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 2,575
Which drivers are in your DT150, observatory and ardexx? They've been made with several very distinct-sounding drivers over the years, from 8 ohms up to 600, possibly more. I'm not sure which ones are still in production.

I really liked the pair that I've heard, though I don't know which drivers it had, as it was just sort of handed to me at a friend's studio as we were trying out various headphones. I can say, though, that they easily outperformed his K240S, HD280, HD590, and even edged out his K240DF, which I also liked. I'd probably take a pair of DT150 over a DT770, both for SQ and because of the great housing. I particularly love the feel of the joint between headband and earpiece.

If these were easier to find, they'd have a much bigger rep on head-fi. They deserve it. My question is whether they are better than a QP805HS.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 2,575
The current ones are 250 Ohms. I do not think other versions are in production right now. I bought mine from a German online vendor and they carry a HUGE assortment of stuff for artists and studios, From the DT-150 however, there is only one version on their website so I am pretty sure that is about it for now...

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 2,575
Those babies have language lab written all over them. None on ebay.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 2,575
They show up on ebay (more commonly dt190 (stereo with mic)) semiregularly but they sell for pro-studio-gear prices.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 2,575
There was actually a pair that was listed as dt990 recently, went for $37, but looked to be extremely old and in very poor condition.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was actually a pair that was listed as dt990 recently, went for $37, but looked to be extremely old and in very poor condition.

could be dangerous to grab an old one, anyway. Until we know more about the versions, you could accidentally end up with a 2000 ohm monster, or an 8 ohm version with antique plugs, which I've seen listed before on ebay.de.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could be dangerous to grab an old one, anyway. Until we know more about the versions, you could accidentally end up with a 2000 ohm monster, or an 8 ohm version with antique plugs, which I've seen listed before on ebay.de.

2000 ohms dynamic headphones? Holy smokes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back