Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,356 of 2,575
Actually, the treble complaint of me of the DT 150 being a bit metallic at times, really has to do with the earcups sliding off my head after a few minutes of listening.

With the cups high on my ears, the treble is buttery smooth. When the cups slide off a bit, the treble instantely becomes less controlled/more metallic.

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #2,357 of 2,575
Actually, the treble complaint of me of the DT 150 being a bit metallic at times, really has to do with the earcups sliding off my head after a few minutes of listening.

With the cups high on my ears, the treble is buttery smooth. When the cups slide off a bit, the treble instantely becomes less controlled/more metallic.

Honestly a complaint I have about the DT 150 is the sliders don’t always stay in place. What’s interesting I have a DT 480 which has the same design as the DT 150 and is from the 1970’s(smooth dark gray earcups) and it’s sliders don’t budge when on my head but on my newer DT 480 which must be from the 1980s(textured black earcups) it has the same problem as the DT 150 with the sliders moving a bit after a few minutes on the head. So some reason sometime during the late 70s or the 80s it seems the sliders got worse on the DT 100/150/480 design. I’ve tried three older DT 480’s, the sliders always stayed in place but in the two newer ones I tried and the DT 150 they didn’t.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #2,358 of 2,575
Honestly a complaint I have about the DT 150 is the sliders don’t always stay in place. What’s interesting I have a DT 480 which has the same design as the DT 150 and is from the 1970’s(smooth dark gray earcups) and it’s sliders don’t budge when on my head but on my newer DT 480 which must be from the 1980s(textured black earcups) it has the same problem as the DT 150 with the sliders moving a bit after a few minutes on the head. So some reason sometime during the late 70s or the 80s it seems the sliders got worse on the DT 100/150/480 design. I’ve tried three older DT 480’s, the sliders always stayed in place but in the two newer ones I tried and the DT 150 they didn’t.
Oddly, I have the opposite experience. I have two DT 150s (in two countries). The sliders seldom move. In fact they are so stiff that it’s difficult to position them. I bought one pair about six years ago, the other about a year ago. They both seem about the same.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,360 of 2,575
Oddly, I have the opposite experience. I have two DT 150s (in two countries). The sliders seldom move. In fact they are so stiff that it’s difficult to position them. I bought one pair about six years ago, the other about a year ago. They both seem about the same.

My DT 150 wasn’t bad, but did slide a little. But I’ve only owned and tried one DT 150, I had it 5 years ago.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,364 of 2,575
@DecentLevi

I notice some people here refer to soundstage in a wrong way, confusing it with the size of sound image/sound Picture.

on mt220 sound image is smaller than on dt150, dt150 have huge sound Picture! On mt220 sound Picture is of a normal size... not big not small,normal.

I define soundstage as placement of different sound images in a sound Picture, space between them , its not only about pinpoint wheres the drums , wheres piano and wheres guitar for example, its also "hear" the space between all those instruments and get a feeling of the room/scene where musical instruments are placed.

The size of those instruments/stage/space between them is what i mean by the " size of sound Picture"

on mt220 soundstage depends alot on pads, with stock pads all is narrow , you dont sit a few raws back as with dt150, not even in a front raw, you actualy on the stage with musicians, dancing grabing their intrumets, you in the middle of the scene...

on stock pads sound is very forward and vocals presented kind of in your face...

all this things about mt220 were very anoying at first, and it felt strange and unnatural to me...
Now i kind of like it :)

Got to say, straight of the box and for a while i thought mt220 is a smooth headphone , creamy and polite. with lots of low end...
Now after it burned in, sonic character changed!

Theres no creamy smooth mids that at times sound mudddy.

Now sound is agile , fast and punchy , with lots of Deep tight low end, mids are clear but not Bright or thin , mt220 has interesting balance of being neither Bright or dark, sound thick and detailed wihtout making it too obvious and screaming at you " look at me look at me" with all the details..

When i listen to metallica - sweet amber , i felt like theres small pieces of metal that shakling in headphones cups, once the cymbals kicked in, was very realistic but without this "wow" effect lots of headphones go efter...

I Think mt220 is an example of studio sound ,and its definatly a refernce of neutrality for me, i spend 5-8 hours per day, for few month, listening to mt220 at times and i stil cant figure out its character, its change so much with burn in ö.Ö

the only headphone that i spend month to Catch its character was beyerdynamic t5p...

i definetly recomend mt220 , it complements dt150 !
That huge sound image you're talking about, is exactly what makes the DT 150 so musical; everything is very present, clear and smooth, drawing me into the music like no other headphone has.

That's why I removed the 1540 pads; they make that sound image smaller, to the point it sounds like an average headphone. DT 100 velours do an excellent job of keeping the same huge sound image and taming that boomy bass the stock pads have and bringing the vocals a bit more to the forefront (vocals are a tiny bit too recessed with the stock pads for me).

Imaging and soundstage definitely is more defined and accurate with the stock pads, but I don't really care about that in music listening. As long as it isn't terrible, I'm fine with it. I prefer balance and timbre way more.

The treble, is the most natural, sparkly and smoothest with the stock pads. The best pads would have the bass and vocals of the DT-100 velours, and treble, of the stock pads.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #2,365 of 2,575

That huge sound image you're talking about, is exactly what makes the DT 150 so musical; everything is very present, clear and smooth, drawing me into the music like no other headphone has.

That's why I removed the 1540 pads; they make that sound image smaller, to the point it sounds like an average headphone. DT 100 velours do an excellent job of keeping the same huge sound image and taming that boomy bass the stock pads have and bringing the vocals a bit more to the forefront (vocals are a tiny bit too recessed with the stock pads for me).

Imaging and soundstage definitely is more defined and accurate with the stock pads, but I don't really care about that in music listening. As long as it isn't terrible, I'm fine with it. I prefer balance and timbre way more.

The treble, is the most natural, sparkly and smoothest with the stock pads. The best pads would have the bass and vocals of the DT-100 velours, and treble, of the stock pads.

That is one thing I love about the DT 150 as well, it's part of the reason it sounds so good as well, it probably has the biggest sound image of the normal DT Beyers. Not many headphones have a bigger sound image, the DT 480 does(biggest I've ever heard on a headphone, it's sound image also scales greatly in size at higher volumes). One reason I prefer the T1.2 Black over the Amiron Home is because it has a notably larger sound image. I like my headphones to have a large sound image and honestly the DT 150 is my top recommendation for a closed-back in it's price range. I still haven't tried the DT 150 with DT 100 velours though.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2,367 of 2,575
Have always wanted to try one of these. Never got around to them or the DT250 either.

I think you will like them, especially since they are one of the few Beyers without much of a Beyer peak. They are a really solid closed-back with a tuning that appears to be close to the harman target curve based on what Tyll said when he measured mine. I haven't personally heard the DT 250 so can't say anything about it.

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,368 of 2,575
The DT 250 - 250 ohm (haven't heard the 80 ohm version, but it's said to be worse in quality) has a very similar sound signature to the DT 150 with DT 100 velours (not with stock pads), but they're even more refined and natural.

If the smaller cup fit didn't hurt my right ear (because I have slight tinnitus there, and with the DT-250s fit it gets worse), I would use them over the DT 150.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,369 of 2,575
I agree that the DT250-250 are something special. They are an absolute pig to drive properly, but when you do, they are very close to the HD600 (only closed). Timbre and midrange resolution are, IMO, better than the DT150, but the soundstage is smaller.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #2,370 of 2,575
My beloved DT-150 with angled pads by @Vesperaudio

I'm happy to report that the stock sound is still there, the fit and look are gorgeous
20191211_141336.jpg
and the comfort is on another level. I wear glasses when sitting to my desk and the angle helps a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back