Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,116 of 2,575
Feb 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,117 of 2,575
Really!!?

Could be argued that this thread in the course of 10 years and over 2000 posts is the best resource for all things DT150?

People are asking if Velours change the sound on page 140, no sane person will read  through a whole thread for a simple question, but i know what you mean and i meant that was best place regarding pads.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,118 of 2,575
Hey Guys, Someone said that the upper-mids are recessed on the dt150. Looking at the Graph on Innerfidelity to me it seems it's not the case. What do you think?
Also is it a good headphones to play alternative rock and metal? 

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,119 of 2,575
Do the velour pads change the sound signature of the DT150? I find that velour pads in general tend to make the bass a bit leaner. If that's the case I'll just still with the stock pads. They are a bit stiff but this will probably change over time and I like how wide and deep they are.

Brings down the elevated bass a bit. The bass is still elevated but much better controlled. Bass heads probably won't like it though.

Hey Guys, Someone said that the upper-mids are recessed on the dt150. Looking at the Graph on Innerfidelity to me it seems it's not the case. What do you think?
Also is it a good headphones to play alternative rock and metal? 

Cheers!

Upper mids are good. Female vocals really shine. Guitars have appropriate bite. However I would recommend velour pads for metal. Stock pads makes the bass too elevated for metal IMO.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #2,120 of 2,575
Does anybody know what year the DT150 was released ? Just curious....really enjoying them. The ultimate statement in substance over style. Most people wouldn't give them a chance based on looks alone but lots of good stuff to unleash re sound.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #2,121 of 2,575
Does anybody know what year the DT150 was released ? Just curious....really enjoying them. The ultimate statement in substance over style. Most people wouldn't give them a chance based on looks alone but lots of good stuff to unleash re sound.

I'm not sure exactly. All I've heard from someone who knows a lot about Beyers and headphones in general and has been in the headphone game for well over 20 years was the 1980's sometime, but I would likely have to call Beyer and hope to find someone to talk to who knows the exact year when it was released. 

The history on some of these older and vintage headphones can be very hard to find sadly.

This link gives the history on some of their headphones and company, but sadly nothing about the DT 150s release date. The design of the DT 1990 for example is actually a homage to the original DT 880's design. The Amiron design is a homage to the ReVox 3100(which is a re-branded Beyerdynamic's from the 1980s). 

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/company/once-today.html

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,123 of 2,575
Cool, thanks... I definitely see the design resemblance between the ReVox and the Amiron. Very interesting.

No problem. It is rather interesting they took some design influences from some of their older stuff. I would like to hear the old Revox and the original DT 880 to see what they sound like. I've heard the previous DT 880(the 2003 model before the current 2005 one) and liked that one more. Never heard the original one though. I really want to listen to an old DT 150 with the old pads and see if it sounds any different than the current ones. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,124 of 2,575
It's so cool talking about a mid-60s headphone! 

I guees they were released in the mid-60!

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,125 of 2,575
Almost right ! The DT100 was launched in 1969, I believe. 1968.  But the DT150, which is heavily based on that, came out in the 80s. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,129 of 2,575
  Is it worth to play DT150 balanced? Totally symmetrical? Any experience ?

Unless you are already using a balanced amplifier, there is no point to go that route just because it's balanced.

So no, not worth it alone, unless the amp you want just so happens to have a balanced connection. (most of the better amps for Beyers are going to be single ended only anyways)

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #2,130 of 2,575

Unless you are already using a balanced amplifier, there is no point to go that route just because it's balanced.

So no, not worth it alone, unless the amp you want just so happens to have a balanced connection. (most of the better amps for Beyers are going to be single ended only anyways)

I do have balanced amp, and whole rig. So change cables or not?:) Have you experienced any profit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back