Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 23, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,102 of 2,575
I just got the DT 150 for a reasonable price, and, man, they sound really good!   They have an awkward design, but the build quality is solid and it's fairly comfortable (something to get used to though - it's not a luxurious feel, that's for sure).  Anyway, very impressed this rugged, industrial looking thing can sound so this way.  Great mid-range, with a hefty low end and non-fatiguing treble. They best several more expensive headphones....sort of depressing, since it brings the law of diminishing returns front and center.

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,103 of 2,575
I just got the DT 150 for a reasonable price, and, man, they sound really good!   They have an awkward design, but the build quality is solid and it's fairly comfortable (something to get used to though - it's not a luxurious feel, that's for sure).  Anyway, very impressed this rugged, industrial looking thing can sound so this way.  Great mid-range, with a hefty low end and non-fatiguing treble. They best several more expensive headphones....sort of depressing, since it brings the law of diminishing returns front and center.

They do hit above their price point for sure. If your having issues with comfort on the headband, I like to use a pilot pad from ZMF. Much more comfortable IMO.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,104 of 2,575

Glad you are liking the DT 150. They are one of my favorite Beyers, I may get myself another pair myself That's Beyer for you, when they get the right tuning on a headphone, they really do shine. What's funny these headphones are older than the super popular HD 600/650. What headphones do you feel they best? 

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,105 of 2,575
  Glad you are liking the DT 150. They are one of my favorite Beyers, I may get myself another pair myself That's Beyer for you, when they get the right tuning on a headphone, they really do shine. What's funny these headphones are older than the super popular HD 600/650. What headphones do you feel they best? 

Do you know when the DT150 was released?

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,106 of 2,575

Do you know when the DT150 was released?

Sometime during the 1980's is all I know. I know there has a been at least one revision and it was most obvious in the pads. Though wouldn't be surprised if the driver was re-tuned a bit. I believe it was released sometime around the time the original DT 880 was released. I think the only thing older than the DT 150 Beyer still makes is the DT 100(which is 60's I believe). 

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,107 of 2,575

Just going by memory, I think they sound better than the Fidelio X2, HD650, Meze 99, and the Nighthawk. All of those headphones seem to share similar traits to the DT150 but the 150 has a much cleaner sound. I can't explain it but I guess you can say there is no grain or roughness to the tone. It's an ugly duckling but the beauty is inside.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,108 of 2,575
Just going by memory, I think they sound better than the Fidelio X2, HD650, Meze 99, and the Nighthawk. All of those headphones seem to share similar traits to the DT150 but the 150 has a much cleaner sound. I can't explain it but I guess you can say there is no grain or roughness to the tone. It's an ugly duckling but the beauty is inside.

Honestly the DT 150 sounds like a slightly brighter and more mid-forward Nighthawk to me, that's what the Hawks reminded me of the most when I first listened to them, the DT 150 but with more warmth and slightly etched highs. The biggest thing is the DT 150 is closed and manages to sound that good. The DT 150 was the first headphone that I bought and put on and I felt it sounded right immediately. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,109 of 2,575

Well said, it has all the mids of an HD650/600, with clear and consise treble and deeper sub bass.

I stray away from them from time to time , but when they make it back in my rotation, I wonder why I strayed!

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,110 of 2,575
I still like the Amiron much more but that's a relief in a way - didn't want the 150 to be that much of a killer! Still an impressive headphone for its age and price point. There's a reason Beyerdynamic has been around forever. They know their stuff and don't go crazy with pricing either.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,111 of 2,575
I still like the Amiron much more but that's a relief in a way - didn't want the 150 to be that much of a killer! Still an impressive headphone for its age and price point. There's a reason Beyerdynamic has been around forever. They know their stuff and don't go crazy with pricing either.

Yeah, agreed the Amiron is a better headphone than the DT 150, honestly you're not going to get something cheap from Beyer that will give the Amiron a run for it's money except the DT 150's Granddaddy, the DT 480. I'm actually surprised those vintage DT 48/480's aren't worth more considering they sound better than many vintage phones that cost more than them. Especially since the DT 48 was Beyers flagship before the T1 came out.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,112 of 2,575
Amiron being V shaped is quite different from the DT150 though, especially with the velour pads on the DT150 which balances out the bass and lower mids.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,114 of 2,575
Do the velour pads change the sound signature of the DT150? I find that velour pads in general tend to make the bass a bit leaner. If that's the case I'll just still with the stock pads. They are a bit stiff but this will probably change over time and I like how wide and deep they are.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,115 of 2,575
Do the velour pads change the sound signature of the DT150? I find that velour pads in general tend to make the bass a bit leaner. If that's the case I'll just still with the stock pads. They are a bit stiff but this will probably change over time and I like how wide and deep they are.

Yes they make it leaner, this is best resource for DT150 

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt150/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back