Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,086 of 2,575
  Bought these a few weeks back to replace my srh840's.. loving them so far, far more comfortable than my shures and a lot better soundstage, less boring sound too.

What DAC are recommended for these? Is it possible to make them sound decent with a dac around $100? 

Dont waste your money just get an O2 or some other headphones.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,087 of 2,575
  I recently purchased a DT150 based on all your comments (thank you for this!), and I have to say it has impressed me a lot out of the box. This is indeed a very engaging headphone, with plenty of dynamic range, which is something I am missing in the Nad viso hp50 for example.

I plan to use it mostly out of the SE output of my Audio-GD NFB28, but I was wondering if there was a balanced cable option for this headphone which does not require DIY abilities. This would allow me to use the balanced output of the NFB28 as well. I stumbled upon this 4-pin XLR cable used for the DT190 (Beyer ref part number K109.28). Do you actually know if this would be a true balanced cable compatible with the DT150 without any modifications required ?

Should I try it for the community
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

I have been informed that this particular cable was not compatible to operate the DT150 in balanced mode... Just to let you know. They however sound fantastic as is. Switching to the Nad viso, I feel the sound loose so much of its body, and music gets somehow less engaging (I would say similar to what electrostat sound does to me). Those DT150 are really lovely !

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,088 of 2,575
  Fiio E10K will do just fine for example. The 840s are so damn heavy..i think that's their biggest flaw..

I think the biggest flaw of them is that the padding makes the drivers stay too close to your ears. They made my ears hurt from having constant physical pressure onto them. After half a year or so it got better though, maybe my ears just adjusted and went got less monkey-ears or I just stopped noticing it. In my old DT770's I had similar ear space though, which is very airy and roomy. I think the SRH840's might just have been constructed with more soft padding which made em clamp a bit too tight. 

Dont waste your money just get an O2 or some other headphones.

You're recommending that DAC or what? And if I don't get it I should just scrap them? I enjoy them currently but I think they might sound even better with an amp. I mean I like them better than my 44 ohm Shures even with my built in Texas Instruments OPA1652 op-amp..

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,089 of 2,575

You're recommending that DAC or what? And if I don't get it I should just scrap them? I enjoy them currently but I think they might sound even better with an amp. I mean I like them better than my 44 ohm Shures even with my built in Texas Instruments OPA1652 op-amp..

Nah im just saying dont mess around with Cheap DACs just Get the best amp you can afford

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,091 of 2,575
I think the biggest flaw of them is that the padding makes the drivers stay too close to your ears. They made my ears hurt from having constant physical pressure onto them. After half a year or so it got better though, maybe my ears just adjusted and went got less monkey-ears or I just stopped noticing it. In my old DT770's I had similar ear space though, which is very airy and roomy. I think the SRH840's might just have been constructed with more soft padding which made em clamp a bit too tight. 

Do you need a DAC and an amp with a combined budget of $100? If that's the case, just grab a Fulla 2. The DT150 will scale up if you ever upgrade your gear down the road.

If just a DAC, the Modi 2 is about as good as it gets for under $100.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2,092 of 2,575
Try and look for an HRT Microstreamer. Amazing DAC/amp for the money.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,093 of 2,575
Wanting some DT100 pads, can someone tell if there is a difference between vinyl and soft skin?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt100_ohrpolster.htm

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/54-803_BEYERDYNAMIC-SPARE-VINYL-EARPAD-For-DT100-headphone-DT108-DT109-headset-black

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,094 of 2,575
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,098 of 2,575
https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt100ohrpolstervelour.htm?sid=784130711c2ae3922a3c4f58e787be8b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back