Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,071 of 2,575
  I recently purchased a DT150 based on all your comments (thank you for this!), and I have to say it has impressed me a lot out of the box. This is indeed a very engaging headphone, with plenty of dynamic range, which is something I am missing in the Nad viso hp50 for example.

I plan to use it mostly out of the SE output of my Audio-GD NFB28, but I was wondering if there was a balanced cable option for this headphone which does not require DIY abilities. This would allow me to use the balanced output of the NFB28 as well. I stumbled upon this 4-pin XLR cable used for the DT190 (Beyer ref part number K109.28). Do you actually know if this would be a true balanced cable compatible with the DT150 without any modifications required ?

Should I try it for the community
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

That would look pretty cool. Out of all my cans the dt100/150 looks too tank like, hummer h1 like, its beautiful. In the video you can see my dt100 (8ohm x 2) which is not for music, and just for listen acapella. Female acapella. With no instruments, its so clear. So unbelieveably clear i cannot believe it. Like how bass tickles with basshead cans, these ones do something to voices which is very different, give goosebumps. Lana Del Rey acapella really good on them. That 150 must be something special. I will need to get one down the road for sure! I see them so much in studio live sessions on Youtube. Mostly dt100s, but also 150s

You can see there with my microphone. Its a beauty.

happy_face1.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,072 of 2,575
  Why is the sound on these so euphonic? I am selling my HD 650s. I thought they would be more euphoric sounding than the DT 150s. I was wrong. While the HD 650s sound fuller in the mids, the treble is way too rolled off for my taste. I prefer the DT 150s. My only complaint is that these dont have much rumble. if it had the dt 990's rumble. these would be perfect. 

Sadly the HD 650 isn't more euphoric than the DT 150 nor are the HD 650's as euphoric as I find people often claim. If you want more euphoric than the DT 150, you're going to have to get something like the DT 1990. As to why, not sure, but some reason the DT 150 are very good at making you connect with the music.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2,074 of 2,575
  Sadly the HD 650 isn't more euphoric than the DT 150 nor are the HD 650's as euphoric as I find people often claim. If you want more euphoric than the DT 150, you're going to have to get something like the DT 1990. As to why, not sure, but some reason the DT 150 are very good at making you connect with the music.

I agree.
will consider getting the dt 1990 as an upgrade to my DT 150s. What do you think about the 1770s? are they more euphoric than the DT 150?

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #2,075 of 2,575
  I agree.
will consider getting the dt 1990 as an upgrade to my DT 150s. What do you think about the 1770s? are they more euphoric than the DT 150?

I just find something special about some Beyers. I do have a Beyerdynamic Amiron but not finding it as euphoric as the DT 1990. I got the Amirons solely to compare to the DT 1990 and to see if I like it more or not, turns out I favor the DT 1990 in the end. The DT 1770 is quite euphoric as well, similar to the DT 1990 but has a few notable flaws in it's sound and it's shallower pads hurt it's comfort. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,076 of 2,575
  I just find something special about some Beyers. I do have a Beyerdynamic Amiron but not finding it as euphoric as the DT 1990. I got the Amirons solely to compare to the DT 1990 and to see if I like it more or not, turns out I favor the DT 1990 in the end. The DT 1770 is quite euphoric as well, similar to the DT 1990 but has a few notable flaws in it's sound and it's shallower pads hurt it's comfort. 

Have you heard t1? If so, what are your thoughts.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,077 of 2,575

Have you heard t1? If so, what are your thoughts.

I liked the T1, except the treble was a bit too much for me on either version which is why I don't have a T1.2 anymore. But I found they had something special about the sound, especially their imaging. Problem with the Amiron for me, there is nothing special about the sound, it's relaxing but nothing stands out and the mids sound slightly off to me. What I like about the DT 1990 is that it's basically oozing euphony and doesn't get too bright for me and that's why the DT 1990 is my favorite Tesla Beyer. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,078 of 2,575
  I liked the T1, except the treble was a bit too much for me on either version which is why I don't have a T1.2 anymore. But I found they had something special about the sound, especially their imaging. Problem with the Amiron for me, there is nothing special about the sound, it's relaxing but nothing stands out and the mids sound slightly off to me. What I like about the DT 1990 is that it's basically oozing euphony and doesn't get too bright for me and that's why the DT 1990 is my favorite Tesla Beyer. 

My interests in t1 are mostly for Indian Classical, Ethiopian Jazz, South American Psychedelic. I am satisfied in a sense from what i get with 880.250. I need to hear a t1 to know if its worth the jump for these genres, or to move onto something better (for those genres). From what i read the t1>1990 for classical types for open cans anyway. I have a 660.32 which were praised for classical and to perform up to par with t1 for those specific genre and man, they do it well and for 79$ its insane how it plays classical stuff/indian classical/ethopian jazz/peruvian psychedleic. My other music interests require basshead cans (rap, 90s dance etc). Beyer sure makes things complicated :p

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,079 of 2,575

My interests in t1 are mostly for Indian Classical, Ethiopian Jazz, South American Psychedelic. I am satisfied in a sense from what i get with 880.250. I need to hear a t1 to know if its worth the jump for these genres, or to move onto something better (for those genres). From what i read the t1>1990 for classical types for open cans anyway. I have a 660.32 which were praised for classical and to perform up to par with t1 for those specific genre and man, they do it well and for 79$ its insane how it plays classical stuff/indian classical/ethopian jazz/peruvian psychedleic. My other music interests require basshead cans (rap, 90s dance etc). Beyer sure makes things complicated :p

The T1 are better for Classical, etc. but it was vocals and certain notes that got to me. But honestly I prefer my modded DT 480(it has DT 48 drivers) for anything classical, instrumental, etc. to the T1.2, it doesn't have the T1's soundstage but it's imaging, layering, depth, clarity, and speed is insane plus it's amazing for vocals. True Beyer does make things complicated. Honestly I think the DT 1990 suits modern music, electronic, rap, etc. amazingly well, with the balanced pads that is, the bass is awesome on them. With the analytical pads it's more T1'ish sound wise.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,080 of 2,575
  The T1 are better for Classical, etc. but it was vocals and certain notes that got to me. But honestly I prefer my modded DT 480(it has DT 48 drivers) for anything classical, instrumental, etc. to the T1.2, it doesn't have the T1's soundstage but it's imaging, layering, depth, clarity, and speed is insane. True Beyer does make things complicated.. Honestly I think the DT 1990 suits modern music, electronic, rap, etc. amazingly well, with the balanced pads that is, the bass is awesome on them. With the analytical pads it's more T1'ish sound wise.

I wish i could pick them all up and test them myself but thats not going to be. I don't know if i'll ever get a 480. I think with beyers, i've only got the t1 and dt150 in mind moving forward. I would probably avoid the 1990 in that if t1 does classical better. I prefer closed cans and very bass heavy for modern music, edm, rap etc. You should try a 660.32 since they're like 79$. Unless you have heard them (and / or 440.32/860.32). Would love to see impressions. But there are so many models, and very few people have such a luxury to hear, let alone, have and compare all these german models :p

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,081 of 2,575

I wish i could pick them all up and test them myself but thats not going to be. I don't know if i'll ever get a 480. I think with beyers, i've only got the t1 and dt150 in mind moving forward. I would probably avoid the 1990 in that if t1 does classical better. I prefer closed cans and very bass heavy for modern music, edm, rap etc. You should try a 660.32 since they're like 79$. Unless you have heard them (and / or 440.32/860.32). Would love to see impressions. But there are so many models, and very few people have such a luxury to hear, let alone, have and compare all these german models :p

That makes sense. I've heard essentially every model of Beyer, except some rare vintage models and some portables. The DT 480 is probably the best $100 I ever spent on a headphone, I personally consider it the best headphone I've ever owned, needed some dampening and deeper pads, but it's definitely high-end even by todays standards. Makes sense, I don't really care if it's open or closed for modern music, etc. I have had a chance to hear that family, personally found them too bright and rough up top for my liking, owned a DT 440 and heard the other two. Honestly I think I'm done with Beyer for now though, now looking into the Sony MDR-Z1R, Senn HD 800S, possibly some STAX, etc. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,082 of 2,575
Bought these a few weeks back to replace my srh840's.. loving them so far, far more comfortable than my shures and a lot better soundstage, less boring sound too.

What DAC are recommended for these? Is it possible to make them sound decent with a dac around $100? 

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,083 of 2,575
  Bought these a few weeks back to replace my srh840's.. loving them so far, far more comfortable than my shures and a lot better soundstage, less boring sound too.

What DAC are recommended for these? Is it possible to make them sound decent with a dac around $100? 

How uncomfortable are the 840s lol. My only shure exp with 440/dj750, and with dt100 to compare. And well I usually have to mentally prepare myself for the dt, b/c well they are awkward rectangles, i wish they made velours as same as dt770-990 in rectangle for these! I might have to try the 150 pads or aphas. I think someone mentioned hm5 fits, and no, not the fella who taped it with scotch tape!

Yes I'm also curious if a dragonfly would work. I have a rebranded one under xtrempro name, which uses old sabre dac (9023 I believe) vs w/e they use now (9016?!) anyway, pc>x1> bravo ocean> dt100, and its vocal magic. But a different type of vocal. Hard to explain. Very plain, dull, non-liveliness type, which still seems real.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,084 of 2,575

Fiio E10K will do just fine for example. The 840s are so damn heavy..i think that's their biggest flaw..

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,085 of 2,575
  Fiio E10K will do just fine for example. The 840s are so damn heavy..i think that's their biggest flaw..

Thats surprising, i thought they would be same as 440, which i didn't find too bothersome. I was a bit of a shure fan, but explored different signatures, and havn't been back since 440/750dj. Though you say e10k, would you still recommend solid state over a budget tube? With my beyers i've enjoyed it more with budget tube than SSs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back