Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Nov 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,041 of 2,575
  I'm with you on this..DT150 is probably my favorite headphone...Simple design and easy to fix if something goes wrong. Looking at the durability of the DT150 i find that highly unlikely that they will ever break, even with vast amounts of abuse. Oh and it sounds absolutely superb!

The 100s are terrible for music, but do vocals (no background music or only specific instruments with no bass) well (but in a weird way). Anyway i just wanted to see what they were about since built same as 150s. The comfort i was worried about but they feel A-OK.

Knowing the 150s can be used with music with all that i've read is exciting

I see them on BBC Radio all the time for the rappers :p

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,042 of 2,575

The 100s are terrible for music, but do vocals (no background music or only specific instruments with no bass) well (but in a weird way). Anyway i just wanted to see what they were about since built same as 150s. The comfort i was worried about but they feel A-OK.

Knowing the 150s can be used with music with all that i've read is exciting

I see them on BBC Radio all the time for the rappers :p

you can run the DT100 velour earpads for better thermal comfort...The stock pads are makes short use of my ears, it's a shame since they sound slightly better with the stock pads. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,043 of 2,575
  you can run the DT100 velour earpads for better thermal comfort...The stock pads are makes short use of my ears, it's a shame since they sound slightly better with the stock pads. 

What do you  mean by thermal comfort? Like so it doesn't sweat as much?

I found seal was not working good but once it heats up, its softens/ and sticks better to skin = better seal

Anyway its getting chilly In Canada now, so sweating isn't too much of an issue

I am not too picky between velours, leather. W/e works.

Dt100/150 same size cups. I think 150 stock pads thicker.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,044 of 2,575
What do you  mean by thermal comfort? Like so it doesn't sweat as much?

I found seal was not working good but once it heats up, its softens/ and sticks better to skin = better seal

Anyway its getting chilly In Canada now, so sweating isn't too much of an issue

I am not too picky between velours, leather. W/e works.

Dt100/150 same size cups. I think 150 stock pads thicker.

There is something with the stock pads.. Might be the pad material that doesn't work with my skin.. I rarely have this issue with pads. They don't breathe at all though so It's like a steam sauna for your ears :astonished:

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,045 of 2,575
There is something with the stock pads.. Might be the pad material that doesn't work with my skin.. I rarely have this issue with pads. They don't breathe at all though so It's like a steam sauna for your ears :astonished:

I thought it was weird at first too. I though an airbag was inside the headband as well. Strange looking, strange sounding (100s anyway) but my plan for 150s would be alpha pads anyway,, which are lamb leathers

maybe if they had a 990v type velour for the 150s thats a different story
they dont look as 'velvety' the dt150 velour

i dont see them as a main can for long sessions (vs 880)

i just like looking at them and their Tank Likeness

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,046 of 2,575
I use DT100 velours, and find them comfy. Not superduper comfy, but comfy enough :D . Way better than stock pleathers anyway. I think difference isn't too bad, actually does help with bass tightness a bit, and removes some hall effect. If it's worse or not is of course matter of preference. DT100 pads are not as thick as original pleathers so soundstage might not be as big, but I've raised my pads with some foam so they're as thick now. I like dt100 velours.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,047 of 2,575
I use DT100 velours, and find them comfy. Not superduper comfy, but comfy enough
biggrin.gif
. Way better than stock pleathers anyway. I think difference isn't too bad, actually does help with bass tightness a bit, and removes some hall effect. If it's worse or not is of course matter of preference. DT100 pads are not as thick as original pleathers so soundstage might not be as big, but I've raised my pads with some foam so they're as thick now. I like dt100 velours.

I'll definitely keep it in mind for the 150s.
The 100s I don't think have the same qualities. The vocals (I only use strictly for acapella) make them sound less "star like" and more human. I dont know how to explain. It sounds like a regular person with great talent is singing to you like you're talking to them on a HQ phone. Very strange, but i kinda like it. Also, there is less noise floor pickup at high amp level with these, maybe thats why they are so popular in the television monitoring business. I used for skype call, and it was crystal clear.

The dt150 reviews seem to make them sound like you CAN listen to music, and it has a magical mid range, and some reviewers have claimed these to be in the same league as upper mid-range, and one considering it even stand up to some summit-fi (with corrections)

But yeah thx for tip

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,048 of 2,575

The 100s I don't think have the same qualities. The vocals (I only use strictly for acapella) make them sound less "star like" and more human. I dont know how to explain. It sounds like a regular person with great talent is singing to you like you're talking to them on a HQ phone. Very strange, but i kinda like it. Also, there is less noise floor pickup at high amp level with these, maybe thats why they are so popular in the television monitoring business. I used for skype call, and it was crystal clear.

The dt150 reviews seem to make them sound like you CAN listen to music, and it has a magical mid range, and some reviewers have claimed these to be in the same league as upper mid-range, and one considering it even stand up to some summit-fi (with corrections)

But yeah thx for tip

The DT 100 and DT 150 use very different drivers, nothing is similar about them except their appearance. That's sorta how my DT 480 sounded like(another headphone that shares the DT 150's appearance but is nothing alike), the vocals were unusual but oddly the more I listened the more correct the vocals sounded compared to everything else. Didn't have that unnatural sparkle to the vocals like almost every other headphone has, something you don't really realize unless you listen to one of the rare phones that don't have that sparkle. I have yet to hear the DT 100 though.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,049 of 2,575
Can't believe how good these sound.

I was disappointed with my Black Friday shopping since the DT 990 Pro's sound signature didn't impress me nearly as much as it did a couple of years ago.

The DT150 however, wow, I didn't expect this at all.
I feel like I'm sitting in front of our old stereo when I was a kid listening to The Doors.
And since Hip Hop sounds nice as well, I think I'll have to keep these.

The only thing I don't like is that my hearing is somehow super sensitive to detailed highs and these headphones have some.
Hope this issue will settle after some burn in though.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,050 of 2,575
hmmm...it isnt best known for its detailed highs...my old pair of ears :p

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,053 of 2,575

But yeah thx for tip

From the reviews and such i did become aware the sounds are worlds apart, but i grabbed the 100s to see how i would like the fit b4 adding 150 to wish list

and its kinda a love hate, because as much as i love its tank like design and eccentric qualities, the fit is a bit odd

but with the other options for pad rolling and th fact the 150 has thicker pads and overall better sound, it seems worthy of adding to wish list

but i am enjoying 100s b/c i know deep within that the 150 will make the 100s collect dust

but i am still enjoying it for youtube vids, where people just talk, lectures online, and also acapellas where it sounds like you're having an online chat with singer and they sing to you hehe

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,054 of 2,575
DT150, endgame material! I do still need open back phones though, but for closed backs, DT150 could be the one, and only. No further upgrades.
rolleyes.gif
Period.

No, I believe that's not possible, for me at least because headphones are the life! 
biggrin.gif
But DT150s rock so much that I often feel that I don't need anything better, they're so good. Some headphones has that magical, addictive character that let's you to experience music all over again, and dive in to it. It's all about music afterall even though sometimes between all this hifi stuff it might be forgotten. You keep searching that golden road, while you might already have found it!
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,055 of 2,575
  DT150, endgame material! I do still need open back phones though, but for closed backs, DT150 could be the one, and only. No further upgrades.
rolleyes.gif
Period.

No, I believe that's not possible, for me at least because headphones are the life! 
biggrin.gif
But DT150s rock so much that I often feel that I don't need anything better, they're so good. Some headphones has that magical, addictive character that let's you to experience music all over again, and dive in to it. It's all about music afterall even though sometimes between all this hifi stuff it might be forgotten. You keep searching that golden road, while you might already have found it!
wink.gif

I went with DT150 and a pair of Q701...Both on the desk so you can quick swap when wifey yells at you for using open backed headphones and tend to listen to black metal 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back