Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Aug 27, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,981 of 2,575
I got the Aune X1s two days ago and initially I thought that there was some
improvement in the treble response (less roll-off than the onboard sound) and bass 
became better textured. The difference was not specracular, though.
I spent yesterday listening to Aune with DT 150 and KNS 8400, appreciating the
improvement, but not knowing yet if I was to keep it or return it.

In the evening I did a double blind test session between the Aune X1s and the onboard audio.
I had 70% success with DT150 and 60% with KNS 8400. At times I was not sure if there is a difference 
and the results showed I was mostly guessing. 

I will return the Aune X1s and live with the onboard sound for a while.
The good side is that the muddy bass and rolled-off treble are no longer the issues 
with the onboard sound and just products of my imagination and expectations.

So for anyone wondering - DT 150 can sound pretty good even if you don't have a dedicated DAC / AMP. 
They are not as demanding as many people on this forum say - to my ears that is.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #1,982 of 2,575
  I got the Aune X1s two days ago and initially I thought that there was some
improvement in the treble response (less roll-off than the onboard sound) and bass 
became better textured. The difference was not specracular, though.
I spent yesterday listening to Aune with DT 150 and KNS 8400, appreciating the
improvement, but not knowing yet if I was to keep it or return it.

In the evening I did a double blind test session between the Aune X1s and the onboard audio.
I had 70% success with DT150 and 60% with KNS 8400. At times I was not sure if there is a difference 
and the results showed I was mostly guessing. 

I will return the Aune X1s and live with the onboard sound for a while.
The good side is that the muddy bass and rolled-off treble are no longer the issues 
with the onboard sound and just products of my imagination and expectations.

So for anyone wondering - DT 150 can sound pretty good even if you don't have a dedicated DAC / AMP. 
They are not as demanding as many people on this forum say - to my ears that is.

Get the fiio E10K, on high gain it has plenty of power. Aune x1s has a great dac but not a powerful amp.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #1,983 of 2,575
  Get the fiio E10K, on high gain it has plenty of power. Aune x1s has a great dac but not a powerful amp.

I had the E10k previously.

I could not reliably differentiate it from my integrated soundcard in a double blind test as well with DT 150 and KRK KNS 8400.
In fact, that was the reason why I sold it and got the X1s.

I agree, E10k has a lot of power, but less than Aune X1s.
FiiO E10k has 7.39V peak-to-peak, which translates into 2.61 V rms.
This corresponds to 27mW power into 250 Ohm.

Aune X1s has 80mW @ 300 Ohm, which gives you 96 mW.

DT 150 have a sensitivity of 97 dB @ 1mW, which gives the following volumes at maximum RMS power:

E10K: 111 dB SPL.
X1s: 117 dB SPL.

Not much of a difference, honestly. E10k has impressive power output and X1s is just a little better.
The difference in SNR, THD of the DACs inside them are theoretically large but for me it did not translate to a better listening experience.

Loud listening to music is perhaps (don't quote me on that) about 90 dB RMS with peaks reaching 110 dB,
so both devices satisfy DT 150 power requirements even for loud listening.

I'm not sure what my level of listening is - on FiiO I never used more that 2, usually leaving the volume pot at 1.
On Aune I also never had to reach past 10 o'clock.
On my laptop, 50 / 100 is the maximum I would use, but for longer sessions I use 20-30 range.

At high volumes (90, 100 dB) the distortion for DT 150 is quite high, likely exceeding the technical capabilities of
both devices and also most modern integrated soundcards.

See the measurements at http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT150250Ohm.pdf

I don't have the specs for my soundcard (Realtek ALC3202), but I bet it can do 0.1% THD+N at 90dB.
Or even if it can't the distortion must be low enough for me to be masked by the music so I can't hear it.

Nowadays I rarely find integrated sound bad enough to warrant an upgrade.
Maybe 15 years ago that had been the case, but Realtek must have done some decent R&D into their sound chips since.
Once all the built-in sound enhancements are disabled, things start to sound more or less the same across various devices.

Heck, I can even listen to DT 150 on moderate volumes on my Xperia Z Ultra and I don't find any problems with the sound.
The maximum volume is of course less than on E10k, X1s or Realtek, and 100/100 volume is higher than I normally listen to.
I also rooted the phone and unlocked the volume lock (Set HPHL and HPHR to 20 from 16 , RX1 and RX2 digital volume to 100 from 82)
and the satisfying, loud volume level was at 33 / 100.

IMO DT 150 can benefit much more from a wisely adjusted EQ than from a more powerful amp or a better DAC.
But they are also awesome in their stock form, giving me a sonically rich yet not fatiguing experience.
Easy to listen to e.g. while working or studying, but rewarding more attentive listening with nice low-level detail across the whole sound spectrum.

Sorry for the long post, but to wrap it up, DT 150 are not that power hungry or sensitive to amps and DACs.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,985 of 2,575
Has anyone tried DT 150 with ifi iDSD micro or chord mojo?
Both of them could be the end game DAC and amp combos to me, as I will never pay more than that for a piece of audio gear.
If you buy the Chord Mojo, you won't ever need to spend any more. It drives all my headphones impeccably, including the DT150.

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,986 of 2,575
If you buy the Chord Mojo, you won't ever need to spend any more.

That is if you like the Chord Mojo sound and portability. It really doesn't do the Hugo or TT justice. As it stands, I much prefer the iDSD micro over the Chord Mojo in terms of sound and I have heard both though not side by side comparison.

Aurender Flow would be my go to choice if it isn't that pricey.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,988 of 2,575
Won't deny that it could use a bit more flexibility in the input/output department but it is ultimately designed for use as a standalone portable Headphone DAC - If they just set up a way to use the internal storage without need to connect to a smartphone :p. With 5V rms output the Flow could drive most headphones out there without an amp. As far as portable DAC goes, it's the best I've heard.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #1,989 of 2,575
  That is if you like the Chord Mojo sound and portability. It really doesn't do the Hugo or TT justice. As it stands, I much prefer the iDSD micro over the Chord Mojo in terms of sound and I have heard both though not side by side comparison.

Aurender Flow would be my go to choice if it isn't that pricey.

I really like the science behind the mojo and I am intrigued by the meticulous implementation of FPGA
for precise resampling, discrete output stage and focus on removing signal-correlated noise floor modulation. 

The tech is impressive and well thought of, but that that translate to a better listening experience?
I was trapped in the upgradeitis, thinking my integrated sound was crap,
only to find no tangible difference from it in E10k and X1s.

Do you remember what made you prefer the micro iDSD?

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,990 of 2,575

The tech is impressive and well thought of, but that that translate to a better listening experience? 

Answer to the first question is no. At least not for me. It sounded way too dry and I suppose 'clincal' would be the term, the soundstage is narrow too relative to the iDSD. Yes the detail is there, resolution is top notch but it just sounded like a very lifelike zombie - it has no soul. Of course, this really boils down to personal preference in audio.

The iDSD has a far more dynamic/lively/energetic sound in comparison with a smooth and clean signature that doesn't lack in detail or resolution either. The only annoyance I have about the iDSD is the male USB connection but hey some people love that too so *shrug*.

That said, both gear packs more than enough juice to drive the DT150 unless you're one of those people that does your listening at absurd levels.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #1,991 of 2,575

Answer to the first question is no. At least not for me. It sounded way too dry and I suppose 'clincal' would be the term, the soundstage is narrow too relative to the iDSD. Yes the detail is there, resolution is top notch but it just sounded like a very lifelike zombie - it has no soul. Of course, this really boils down to personal preference in audio.

The iDSD has a far more dynamic/lively/energetic sound in comparison with a smooth and clean signature that doesn't lack in detail or resolution either. The only annoyance I have about the iDSD is the male USB connection but hey some people love that too so *shrug*.

That said, both gear packs more than enough juice to drive the DT150 unless you're one of those people that does your listening at absurd levels.
Interesting how we hear things differently. I was going to ask how could anyone possibly dislike the sound of the Chord Mojo? Yes, I ask because I really couldn't imagine anyone not liking it! Of course, people will have preferences but at this level of performance, the baseline is that everything is actually great, you just have preferences. I am very surprised to read your comments about the mojo having a soulless sound or lacking soundstage. To my ears, it's biggest strengths, and what I was most taken aback by with the Mojo, are its incredibly more holographic and believable soundstage and its ability to sound so detailed yet without any harshness/fatigue/brightness so that it really does communicate the emotion, scale and flow of a recording in a way that is just surprisingly natural and musical.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,992 of 2,575
Interesting how we hear things differently. I was going to ask how could anyone possibly dislike the sound of the Chord Mojo? Yes, I ask because I really couldn't imagine anyone not liking it! Of course, people will have preferences but at this level of performance, the baseline is that everything is actually great, you just have preferences. I am very surprised to read your comments about the mojo having a soulless sound or lacking soundstage. To my ears, it's biggest strengths, and what I was most taken aback by with the Mojo, are its incredibly more holographic and believable soundstage and its ability to sound so detailed yet without any harshness/fatigue/brightness so that it really does communicate the emotion, scale and flow of a recording in a way that is just surprisingly natural and musical.

As stated before, It's a matter of experience, personal perception and preference. What you've described the Mojo as I would only reserve for the Hugo TT. And even then I still prefer the iDSD micro over the Mojo for reasons stated before. This is why, I always advocate try before you buy. What I find to be an excellent product doesn't necessary mean the same applies for you. The biggest issue often isn't the product itself but the user :p

Side note, seriously though if you think the Mojo is good, the Hugo TT makes it sound like scrap metal in comparison.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #1,993 of 2,575

As stated before, It's a matter of experience, personal perception and preference. What you've described the Mojo as I would only reserve for the Hugo TT. And even then I still prefer the iDSD micro over the Mojo for reasons stated before. This is why, I always advocate try before you buy. What I find to be an excellent product doesn't necessary mean the same applies for you. The biggest issue often isn't the product itself but the user :p

Side note, seriously though if you think the Mojo is good, the Hugo TT makes it sound like scrap metal in comparison.

You see, I can't speak in quite the same terms as you when describing audio products that are performing at this level.  I understand that it's somewhat funny to say, but it's also quite misleading to other readers to suggest that ANY dac (let alone the Chord Hugo) could make the Chord Mojo 'sound like scrap metal in comparison', especially when there are on this very site, people who own both who would tell us that the difference certainly isn't night and day between them, hence the Chord Mojo receiving such accolades as it being a revolutionary product that is a 'game changer' etc etc.  Those comments are all perfectly appropriate, as the overwhelming majority of reviews and user experiences suggest (like my own).

I haven't heard the Hugo but I've read many comparisons with the Mojo.  It's highly likely that if I were to A/B them, I'd initially need some time to really see the differences and advantages of one over the other. I might very well prefer the Hugo but I would put money on that it wouldn't be a night and day scenario like you suggest.

I have owned the Mojo since May this year, so 4 months and it is still revealing itself to me as I hear it in ever more different ways.  I also remember having a microsecond of a twinge of disappointment on first hearing it as it just didn't immediately 'blow my mind'.  Of course, soon into that session, its capabilities became clear.  Some hours later, after being able to put it through its paces and perhaps most importantly, give it the attention needed from a listener's point of view to really take in all the subtle yet major differences I was hearing in comparison to my HRT Microstreamer, I was and continue to be absolutely floored by this little black box's capabilities.

I must emphasise though, the Mojo in no way made my HRT Microstreamer sound like garbage.  I just didn't realise what I was missing until I had it!   How much have you listened to the Mojo?  I'm going to garner a guess that if you had had longer and listened more in depth with it, you might not be quite as quick to even be able to refer to it as sounding like scrap metal, comparatively.  As an owner of the Chord Mojo, a professional musician and music producer and someone with a lifelong devotion to music and audio reproduction, I really have to stick up for the Mojo here.

For anyone else remotely interested in the Chord Mojo - MAKE SURE you give it a listen.  It might just be (like it was for me) the single most cost effective audio upgrade you ever make!  Happy listening 
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,994 of 2,575
Whelp, you asked for my opinion and I gave my honest 2 cents. But you know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some of my friends agreed with my opinion, some disagreed. But hey, your ears, your money.

In the end, I would still stick by what I've always advocated. Try before you buy. That's all I'm sayin.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,995 of 2,575
  Whelp, you asked for my opinion and I gave my honest 2 cents. But you know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some of my friends agreed with my opinion, some disagreed. But hey, your ears, your money.

In the end, I would still stick by what I've always advocated. Try before you buy. That's all I'm sayin.

Of course, I totally appreciate that.  Please understand that the only reason I felt the need to stick up for the Mojo is because @roladyzator was interested in it and I own it.  So, given that you don't have much experience of it, I felt your comparisons were risking stretching into an unfair bashing, hence my response.  Each to their own, of course.  But, I would strongly advise anyone to try the Mojo in that price range.  To not would be foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back