Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Nov 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #661 of 2,575
I guess I was mistaken then, only the DT190 has a balanced-ready cable (7 wires total for the balanced mic + each driver)

Perhaps the (W)K100.00 bare ended cable for the DT100/150 has all 4 wires - the only image I can find suggests it has wires for all 6 pins of the proprietary connector

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #663 of 2,575
  I guess I was mistaken then, only the DT190 has a balanced-ready cable (7 wires total for the balanced mic + each driver)

Perhaps the (W)K100.00 bare ended cable for the DT100/150 has all 4 wires - the only image I can find suggests it has wires for all 6 pins of the proprietary connector

What I don't understand is that you can buy the connector from Beyer for $6, buy that and put a Mogami Quad or the Sommer SC-Peacock MKII cable which the T1 uses.

I told you the K100.00 was 3C.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #665 of 2,575
Nov 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #667 of 2,575

If you see only 3 wires inside the DT150 cable and while soldering the neutral you use a bracket to connect NR3 and NR6, you loose the "BALANCED" feature of your amp. You need to separate the neutral for left and right channels to get the "real benefit" of a  balanced amp/connector.

...so you need a cable with 4 separate wires inside.

Yep, I agree that I need 4 wires but with the "balanced" connector I get the double power from my amplifier (which is PB2 modded with opamps and powered by 16v). With this type of the connection it's a huge improvement over the single ended connection. When I purchase a 4 wire cable I will replace it for aesthetic reasons only but I'm sure I will not hear the difference because true balanced wire separation is required on extremely long distances to hear any improvement if any.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #668 of 2,575
Just posted the picture in another thread but also thought people interested in DT150 will find it interesting to take a look at the new true balanced cable which I've just made of Cat5 UTP 24 AWG.

The sound with opamp modded PB2 at 16v is a lot better than single ended. It's like you can feel the music and can't stop listening. My advice, if you have PB2 and want to go single ended no matter whether it is modded or not, forget about the sound and go with a different amp.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #669 of 2,575
Well done on the chord! 

I'm curious, and perhaps a bit ignorant, but why go to so much trouble for a portable SS amp? 

Can't you get a descent balanced desktop amp, SS or tube, for a similar price?

(Separately, has anyone compared the Darkvoice with the Feliks audio Epsressivo-e? http://www.head-fi.org/products/espressivo-e-by-feliks-audio, and possibly,gasp the Valhallah 2?)

I get the chord upgrade though, and will hopefully hold on to these phones long enough for something like that to come out into the mainstream market for those with three little kids and no DIY garage to experiment...

Best, 

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #670 of 2,575
I'm also interested in this comparison. I like my Espressivo but for DT150 i need something with more brillance on top. But spacing is totally great.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #671 of 2,575
Well done on the chord! 

I'm curious, and perhaps a bit ignorant, but why go to so much trouble for a portable SS amp? 

Can't you get a descent balanced desktop amp, SS or tube, for a similar price?

The main reason is to squeeze the max juice from the portable amp that I always carry with me while commuting to work and do at work listening. Carrying a desktop amp is a little too heavy for me)

And this is my travel set:

The picture is from a while ago. I have switched the amp now from Quickstep to PB2 but the idea remains the same.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #673 of 2,575
Cööl, welcome to the world of cheap uncomfortable pads and geat and mure musicality of this headphone )
Looks of this headphone is a girls magnet, when I walk in park with dt150 on me,all the girls who jogging checking me out, even turning around once they pass me by . It's because this headphones are so good looking!:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back