Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 9, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #2,026 of 2,575
  I've never tried the DT660, but I know it was not the best model in the earlier series that Beyerdynamic made for consumers, with the DT770, 880 and 990 being considered by Beyer as the superior models. That said, most people who own the DT150 consider it better than the DT770-990 series, because it has more controlled highs and better vocals, especially male vocals. If you listen to Electronic music, perhaps the DT660 will be better, but I think for most genres of music the DT150 is better, and it's closed, so you block out some noise. The problem is that you will probably need an amplifier for the DT150, and also they are not really portable. You may also find the DT660 to be more comfortable, especially if you wear glasses. 

I'm looking for an IEM that sounds like the DT150, with perhaps even tighter bass and a more even upper mid-range. Has anyone tried the Westone UM Pro 50? From the descriptions I'm reading it seems to fit the bill. 

Thank you, jdpark
I have an er4s paring up with Mojo, which is wonderful but not good for orchestral music. I think I will give DT150 a try 

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,027 of 2,575
My DT150 was on loan for two months or so, and got them back today. Gotta say, I missed these so!
biggrin.gif
Magical midrange
rolleyes.gif
, epic bass 
tongue.gif
, perfect gentle treble
wink.gif
, signature is just so delicious and balanced, musical listening pleasure! Bloody brilliant, brilliant indeed.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,028 of 2,575
I own the HD 650 as well as the DT 150. I prefer the DT 150 by a small margin. HD 650s sound too smooth, forward and a bit congested. It is like the soundstage hardly has any depth. Whereas the DT 150s sound spacious and have more depth. HD 650s have more warmth than the DT 150 though.
In the end, I love the DT150s more. They sound quite euphoric.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,029 of 2,575
I own the HD 650 as well as the DT 150. I prefer the DT 150 by a small margin. HD 650s sound too smooth, forward and a bit congested. It is like the soundstage hardly has any depth. Whereas the DT 150s sound spacious and have more depth. HD 650s have more warmth than the DT 150 though.
In the end, I love the DT150s more. They sound quite euphoric.

I actually had my DT150 on loan for HD650, and I agree with you, especially with soundstage. Unbelieveable how so much cheaper closed back headphone outperforms classic former flag ship open back headphone. HD650 are good alright but something in sound didn't really get me, maybe exactly that lack of soundstage depth.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,032 of 2,575
The only one, that comes in my mind is the T90. It has a similar musicality and 3D / holographic - like soundstage, like the dt150 but without the in-hall effect of the dt150. Its more intimate, similar to the dt880, that live feeling (but the soundstage of the dt880 is, at least for me, only 2D like).

So the T90 gives you plenty of more micro details. Thats fantastic for many genres but then for other genres.... It can be very harsh and fatiguing because of the treble spike of the t90. I love the t90, but i'm using an EQ to tame down the treble a little bit. But seriously... When i do that.... Theres not a big difference anymore between t90 and dt150. So i'm actually thinking about selling my beloved t90 to keep my dt150s.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,034 of 2,575
Dt100 is not for musical enjoyment. Although it might just work for purely vocal music

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,035 of 2,575
Dt100 is not for musical enjoyment. Although it might just work for purely vocal music

Yea just for acapellas I use. Was wondering if dt150 even better for vocal range. I'm assuming so. Seems people listen to music as well on them.

So thats why i wanted to know if anyone has both and can give difference. I have looked through thread, but ofc there is lot of posts :p

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #2,036 of 2,575
The only one, that comes in my mind is the T90. It has a similar musicality and 3D / holographic - like soundstage, like the dt150 but without the in-hall effect of the dt150. Its more intimate, similar to the dt880, that live feeling (but the soundstage of the dt880 is, at least for me, only 2D like).

So the T90 gives you plenty of more micro details. Thats fantastic for many genres but then for other genres.... It can be very harsh and fatiguing because of the treble spike of the t90. I love the t90, but i'm using an EQ to tame down the treble a little bit. But seriously... When i do that.... Theres not a big difference anymore between t90 and dt150. So i'm actually thinking about selling my beloved t90 to keep my dt150s.

Really? it may be my next (and probably definitive) pair of headphones then...

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,037 of 2,575
Looking for new headphones, so far I've been using mostly IEMs (because lot's of travelling, but that's gone now) and for home I had a pair of Maxell Retro DJ - while they had a fairly nice sound, they really really lacked bass. And... I like bass. I usually listen to everything good, from electronic (dubstep, dnb, early electro sounds), through rock (metal, prog etc.) and jazz, blues, all the way to classical music and some better pop too. I prefer enjoyable, fun, bassy sound, than flat-ish analytical sound.
My favourite choice so far is the DT770. But the DT150 is an option too. Unfortunately I can't really find any detailed well-made reviews about the DT150, thus I would be really glad I you guys could provide me with some of your experiences or even links to reviews.

Thanks in advance

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,038 of 2,575
  Looking for new headphones, so far I've been using mostly IEMs (because lot's of travelling, but that's gone now) and for home I had a pair of Maxell Retro DJ - while they had a fairly nice sound, they really really lacked bass. And... I like bass. I usually listen to everything good, from electronic (dubstep, dnb, early electro sounds), through rock (metal, prog etc.) and jazz, blues, all the way to classical music and some better pop too. I prefer enjoyable, fun, bassy sound, than flat-ish analytical sound.
My favourite choice so far is the DT770. But the DT150 is an option too. Unfortunately I can't really find any detailed well-made reviews about the DT150, thus I would be really glad I you guys could provide me with some of your experiences or even links to reviews.

Thanks in advance

They look absolutely deadly with alpha pads and the ZMF pilot pad. Theres a pic in the gallery. I might to the 100s :D

All the reviews look good. :D

I say if you have the opportunity to get em GET EM! :D

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,039 of 2,575

Thanks in advance

This whole thread is statement how bloody brilliant DT150 are. If I had to give away all of my headphones except one, DT150 could be the one.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,040 of 2,575
This whole thread is statement how bloody brilliant DT150 are. If I had to give away all of my headphones except one, DT150 could be the one.

I'm with you on this..DT150 is probably my favorite headphone...Simple design and easy to fix if something goes wrong. Looking at the durability of the DT150 i find that highly unlikely that they will ever break, even with vast amounts of abuse. Oh and it sounds absolutely superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back