Beyerdynamic bass / amps experience?
Sep 29, 2001 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rodchenko

New Head-Fier
Looking to hear from anyone who has experience with Beyerdynamic cans and different kinds of amps (or lack thereof).

Specifically the 770 - can anyone weigh in on how particular amp builds affect the sound? Especially in the bass department - I don't have a dedicated headphone amp now, but I'm getting a little tired of the muddiness and/or lack of power of the bass through the computer or even with my integrated (non-headphone) amp. Especially when I listen to what some of the more musically non-inclusive people on this site refer to as "duh-m-bass," of which I happen to have been a DJ of back in college, and which I continue to listen to (despite having a penchant for baroque sacred madrigals, phillip glass and bebop jazz) and which I want to sound big, deep and powerful.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sep 29, 2001 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Did you get the 770's yet? They haven't been reviewed much at all besides Tomcat.

I've heard that they had profound amounts of bass however, but Jan I think described it as muddy.

duh-m-bass doesn't refer to drum n bass if thats what you were saying btw. lol, it refers to liking things like monsterous robot torso looking boomboxes, mega super groove bass inventions, and extremely boomy stuff like that.

Sep 29, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 4
not yet - when I do, there will be a full review between the Sennheiser 580's and the Beyerdynamic 770's with different types of music, and perhaps with and without a JMT amp. Just wait
smily_headphones1.gif

And re: duh-m-bass, ok - that's clarified. Because the last thing you need listening to drum n' bass is muddy, flabby bass- blech. In fact, I could name half a dozen artists whose work is so complex, intricate and textured, any muddiness would ruin the whole point (although, like any genre, most of it is simply repetitive and tedious.)

Sep 29, 2001 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by rodchenko
...I could name half a dozen artists whose work is so complex, intricate and textured, any muddiness would ruin the whole point...

Sorry, don't mean to change the subject, but, please do...I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say, being a fan of both Philip Glass (Koyaanisqatsi!) and some IDM.

PS If you want a clue on what duh-m-bass, try pronouncing it phonetically.
biggrin.gif

And, back to the subject actually, yes you do need a good amp to get decent bass with Beyer DT770 (owning both, the headphones and a good amp, and the bass is nice and extended and controlled). I do, however, own the old pair, and the consensus is that the new pair are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back