Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,086 of 2,667
I have 5 Beyerdynamic headphones and one of them is the....DT880 250ohm Black Edition! :D
The DT880 is a neutral headphone so maybe that's why you don't like it? Heck, I'm even planning to get the Tygr 300R and luckily it can be bought standalone.
I have the DT880 EQ'ed to tame down the highs a bit to tone down the sibilance and boy, the DT880 is superb! Keep in mind you'll need a powerfull dac/amp otherwise it will sound quiet (a lot). I use it with my Fiio K5 Pro. It may be heavily recessed but any detail is revealed. And I like how the vocals are in DT880 Amiron.H, love them both.

What I like about the Amiron Home is the cinematic audio. Like when watching movies or tv shows on Netflix, the Amiron Home is my first choice.

I have the Sennheiser HD560S and to be honest, I stopped using it the first 2 weeks when I received it. Soundstage is a bit narrow compared to all my other headphones and not just only Beyers. The HD560S is not a bad headphone, I just don't like it a lot.
The black edition DT 880 is tuned and measures differently than the normal one. The normal one has more linear bass and more forward mids. The Amiron Home is a great cinematic experience. The HD 560 S was a headphone I sorta disliked until the pads broke in. Still not as much to my preference as Beyers though. May replace it with a TYGR 300R in the future. The Tesla Beyers have notably more body and life to their sound, one big reason I prefer Tesla Beyers to the previous generation of Beyers.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,087 of 2,667
The black edition DT 880 is tuned and measures differently than the normal one. The normal one has more linear bass and more forward mids. The Amiron Home is a great cinematic experience. The HD 560 S was a headphone I sorta disliked until the pads broke in. Still not as much to my preference as Beyers though. May replace it with a TYGR 300R in the future. The Tesla Beyers have notably more body and life to their sound, one big reason I prefer Tesla Beyers to the previous generation of Beyers.
Really? Had no idea the Black Edition is different to the normal in terms of sounds. So it's an unexpected welcome I guess.
I keep finding more positive reviews on the Tygr 300R so will definitely will get in in near future. I could rip off the pads to use it for my other headphones and the headband padding to use it for my Heritage HP-3 lol. I don't know why but the HD560S seemed to be a silly joke.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2,088 of 2,667
I have 5 Beyerdynamic headphones and one of them is the....DT880 250ohm Black Edition! :D
The DT880 is a neutral headphone so maybe that's why you don't like it? Heck, I'm even planning to get the Tygr 300R and luckily it can be bought standalone.
I have the DT880 EQ'ed to tame down the highs a bit to tone down the sibilance and boy, the DT880 is superb! Keep in mind you'll need a powerfull dac/amp otherwise it will sound quiet (a lot). I use it with my Fiio K5 Pro. It may be heavily recessed but any detail is revealed. And I like how the vocals are in DT880 Amiron.H, love them both.

What I like about the Amiron Home is the cinematic audio. Like when watching movies or tv shows on Netflix, the Amiron Home is my first choice.

I have the Sennheiser HD560S and to be honest, I stopped using it the first 2 weeks when I received it. Soundstage is a bit narrow compared to all my other headphones and not just only Beyers. The HD560S is not a bad headphone, I just don't like it a lot.

Yeah isn't the 560S pretty much a restyled HD595?

I did own the 595 twice. Great set of cans if you don't have an amp, but they don't scale immensely if you do. Sounstage is pretty wide, but very simplistic and the low end is just not quite there.

You're probably right about me not liking neutrality much, as I'm most definitely looking for some magic!

My amp (Corda Prehead-1 MKII se) should be powerful enough to drive pretty much anything. It also has both 0 and 120 Ohm outputs covered. So I have little worries on that front, just looking for some perfect warm headphones to combine it with really :)

[Edit: typo]

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,089 of 2,667
Really? Had no idea the Black Edition is different to the normal in terms of sounds. So it's an unexpected welcome I guess.
I keep finding more positive reviews on the Tygr 300R so will definitely will get in in near future. I could rip off the pads to use it for my other headphones and the headband padding to use it for my Heritage HP-3 lol. I don't know why but the HD560S seemed to be a silly joke.
Yeah I didn't know until I found measurements and they turned out they are tuned differently, I had a black edition and it didn't sound how I recall them sounding when I auditioned them years ago. I personally went to the T1.3 and the T1.2, don't have the Amirons anymore, the T1.2 is a bit more of a full-bodied, slightly smoother, and slight less clear Amiron Home. The T1.3 is a bassy boy with a love/hate sound signature, but technically the best Tesla Beyer in terms of it's driver capabilities. The HD 560 S is fine if it's on tubes or a very clean system after the pads break in some. There are somethings I like about it, but there is a sense something is missing too, I get the impression the TYGR 300 R may just do the HD 560 S type tuning better.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt880-black-se/

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #2,090 of 2,667

Just what I wanted to hear!

* Black 880's recessed mids confirmed
* More body and life on the Amirons
* Cinematic experience = better soundstage than HD580

My ears are ever grateful, my wallet despises you.

(Edit: I'll just wisely ignore all this T1 talk for now.)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,091 of 2,667

The Black 880's recessed is probably why I like it. While recessed, any detail is not hidden. Bass is nicely done too.

The Amiron Home is a one of a kind headphone as told by many owners here. While it's 250ohm, it's efficient to be used for phones and other portable devices. My 7.2" Huawei Mate 20X with Amiron Home at night watching Netflix is pure joy too!

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,092 of 2,667
Yeah I didn't know until I found measurements and they turned out they are tuned differently, I had a black edition and it didn't sound how I recall them sounding when I auditioned them years ago. I personally went to the T1.3 and the T1.2, don't have the Amirons anymore, the T1.2 is a bit more of a full-bodied, slightly smoother, and slight less clear Amiron Home. The T1.3 is a bassy boy with a love/hate sound signature, but technically the best Tesla Beyer in terms of it's driver capabilities. The HD 560 S is fine if it's on tubes or a very clean system after the pads break in some. There are somethings I like about it, but there is a sense something is missing too, I get the impression the TYGR 300 R may just do the HD 560 S type tuning better.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt880-black-se/
You know, you gotta give Beyerdynamic credit for making many headphones for many purposes. It's not something you see a lot in other brands.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,093 of 2,667
It’s finally here :smile_phones:, but since I’m out, haven’t had a good chance to really plug it in and enjoy it throughout...

First impression through a Fiio M6 is not very good though, it sounds a bit harsh and bright to my taste. I can understand why many won’t really enjoy these on their first take. Will dig in further and try different sources too. The build though, crazy good, German-level, and the fit is snug enough for some bop :L3000:

Might be a keeper if I can find suitable source for this gentleman :D
FEBFA6F8-36E9-4946-9BC4-FADD3F87CBF6.jpeg

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #2,094 of 2,667
Second impression after some plugging: the Amiron truly is critical about the source/cable/power. It differs quite noticeably to different combos. Right now, I find my Passion Audio copper cable + Teac p90 + ifi ipower work the best, resulting in a very clear, warm-ish and pleasing sound (gone the original brightness and harshness).

Will try to write a review for this. Now please excuse me, I’ll be back to enjoying these great cans.

7E2734D3-B92D-4BA7-856D-B61B5FFD02EE.jpeg

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,095 of 2,667

I think you will enjoy them, they are quite transparent of the system and honestly one of my favorite Beyers, a bit unique, but honestly many Beyers are a bit unique. Tesla drivers have a dynamic vividness to them I personally love.
You know, you gotta give Beyerdynamic credit for making many headphones for many purposes. It's not something you see a lot in other brands.

Honestly they do, it's actually quite interesting they have so many different sounding headphones. And if you ever modify them you may realize Beyers have some of the best dynamic drivers on the market at least imho, they are responsive to modding in a way that I haven't experienced in most other dynamic headphones except maybe some Austrian-era AKG's. A lot of other brands seem to focus on only one or two types of sound signatures and variations of it whereas Beyer has a bit of everything, while there is a bit of a house sound, the variation is honestly impressive.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,096 of 2,667
Second impression after some plugging: the Amiron truly is critical about the source/cable/power. It differs quite noticeably to different combos. Right now, I find my Passion Audio copper cable + Teac p90 + ifi ipower work the best, resulting in a very clear, warm-ish and pleasing sound (gone the original brightness and harshness).

Will try to write a review for this. Now please excuse me, I’ll be back to enjoying these great cans.

Congrats on getting the Amiron Home, they're personally one of the few headphones I could live with exclusively. They are very transparent and are like a chameleon you change and shape them to your liking if you so desired. I feel it's an underappreciated headphone and it's more forward sounding and more mainstream tuned sibling the DT 1990 gets more attention whereas I think the Amiron Home is actually the better headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #2,098 of 2,667
Congrats on getting the Amiron Home, they're personally one of the few headphones I could live with exclusively. They are very transparent and are like a chameleon you change and shape them to your liking if you so desired. I feel it's an underappreciated headphone and it's more forward sounding and more mainstream tuned sibling the DT 1990 gets more attention whereas I think the Amiron Home is actually the better headphone.
Completely agree. The Amiron is an infinitely better headphone. Having owned both (the 1990 got returned), the only category the 1990 wins is in looks.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,099 of 2,667
It’s finally here :smile_phones:, but since I’m out, haven’t had a good chance to really plug it in and enjoy it throughout...

First impression through a Fiio M6 is not very good though, it sounds a bit harsh and bright to my taste. I can understand why many won’t really enjoy these on their first take. Will dig in further and try different sources too. The build though, crazy good, German-level, and the fit is snug enough for some bop :L3000:

Might be a keeper if I can find suitable source for this gentleman :D
FEBFA6F8-36E9-4946-9BC4-FADD3F87CBF6.jpeg
Look at that handsome big boi! A big boi turned to a handsome gentleman! Don't worry about it being a bit harsh and bright, use it for a week and you'll like it. Your brain has to get used to the new sound first and then it will sounds very good. Many others loves the Amiron Home and if you don't, perhaps, you know...well....your ears just suck lol just kidding!

I don't know anything about the Fiio M6 but I use a desktop dac/amp Fiio K5 Pro.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,100 of 2,667
I think you will enjoy them, they are quite transparent of the system and honestly one of my favorite Beyers, a bit unique, but honestly many Beyers are a bit unique. Tesla drivers have a dynamic vividness to them I personally love.

Honestly they do, it's actually quite interesting they have so many different sounding headphones. And if you ever modify them you may realize Beyers have some of the best dynamic drivers on the market at least imho, they are responsive to modding in a way that I haven't experienced in most other dynamic headphones except maybe some Austrian-era AKG's. A lot of other brands seem to focus on only one or two types of sound signatures and variations of it whereas Beyer has a bit of everything, while there is a bit of a house sound, the variation is honestly impressive.
Yeah exactly. Beyer suits for any purposes and that's why I like this brand so much. I even pulled the trigger and ordered the Tygr 300R yesterday, this one looks nice too and it has many positive reviews and it could meet my preferences too. Just come to think...this will be my 6th Beyer. Yep, it's true they have sound signatures for everything.

Completely agree. The Amiron is an infinitely better headphone. Having owned both (the 1990 got returned), the only category the 1990 wins is in looks.

I iz still beri upset ther is no amiron house copper version...!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back