Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #676 of 2,659
A couple of questions, if anybody can respond it would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

1) Is the Amiron bright like the T90? I liked the clarity and openness of the T90 but the treble spike always eventually got me to have to take them off.

2) How is the Amiron in terms of leakage (leaking sound out)? Same as the HD600/650 or worse?

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #677 of 2,659
  A couple of questions, if anybody can respond it would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

1) Is the Amiron bright like the T90? I liked the clarity and openness of the T90 but the treble spike always eventually got me to have to take them off.

2) How is the Amiron in terms of leakage (leaking sound out)? Same as the HD600/650 or worse?

Not like the T90 but it does have some 7-10khz energy which prevents me from turning it up as loud as the more intimate and midrange oriented DT 1990. I don't find the Amiron fatiguing like I do the T90 and T1/T1.2 though.

Leakage is similar to the HD 600/650 going by memory, it leaks a little more than the DT 1990(which leaks less than the Senns)

This review I did may be of some help.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838972/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home#post_13335672

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #678 of 2,659
  Not like the T90 but it does have some 7-10khz energy which prevents me from turning it up as loud as the more intimate and midrange oriented DT 1990. 

Leakage is similar to the HD 600/650 going by memory, it leaks a little more than the DT 1990(which leaks less than the Senns)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838972/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home#post_13335672

I find the Amiron to be pretty smooth all around.  I love the bass separation although it is much softer than the 1990.  I don't feel any fatigue like the T90, but it isn't my daily driver.  Although I do really like the Amiron.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #679 of 2,659
  Not like the T90 but it does have some 7-10khz energy which prevents me from turning it up as loud as the more intimate and midrange oriented DT 1990. I don't find the Amiron fatiguing like I do the T90 and T1/T1.2 though.

Thank you very much for your response.

So it looks like the DT1990 would be the one to go for, in both cases. I own the DT1770 but can't seem to get a proper seal...the bass "drifts" and changes depending on the positioning, and if I move my head.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #681 of 2,659

Thank you very much for your response.

So it looks like the DT1990 would be the one to go for, in both cases. I own the DT1770 but can't seem to get a proper seal...the bass "drifts" and changes depending on the positioning, and if I move my head.

No problem. If you are looking for accuracy and neutrality, the DT 1990 is the one to get. The Amiron is made for a completely different purpose. The DT 1990 is a fixed and open DT 1770 imho, also it's pads are notably deeper and more comfortable than the DT 1770's. I had some problems with the DT 1770 too, there are many things I loved about it, but I had some seal issues too as it wasn't always perfectly centered unless the seal was just right, the pleathers fixed it for me, but I preferred the velours for their intimacy, reduced hollowness, and breathability. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #682 of 2,659
  No problem. If you are looking for accuracy and neutrality, the DT 1990 is the one to get. The Amiron is made for a completely different purpose. The DT 1990 is a fixed and open DT 1770 imho, also it's pads are notably deeper and more comfortable than the DT 1770's. I had some problems with the DT 1770 too, there are many things I loved about it, but I had some seal issues too as it wasn't always perfectly centered unless the seal was just right, the pleathers fixed it for me, but I preferred the velours for their intimacy, reduced hollowness, and breathability. 

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I liked the basic sound of the DT1770 but getting a different sound if I'm sitting up or lying down drove me nuts. And like yourself, the pleathers sealed a little better but muddled up the sound a bit.

Only drawback is that the DT1990 is like $850 in Canada. Might have to look for one used.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #683 of 2,659
These never fail to put a smile on my face when listening to vinyl through my Project Debut Carbon (stock with a cork/rubber mat) into my Feliks Audio Espressivo.

These really are amazing headphones, I think I will be happy with them for a long time, they have excellent detail retrieval, the soundstage is expansive and they are just enjoyable.

They are the best headphones to come out from Beyer in a long time I think (in my opinion better than the DT1990 which are also awesome).

I think the quality these have are similar to what the T1 (and T1 2nd Generation) have, it's the way they let you focus on the music and not the equipment.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #684 of 2,659
  These never fail to put a smile on my face when listening to vinyl through my Project Debut Carbon (stock with a cork/rubber mat) into my Feliks Audio Espressivo.

These really are amazing headphones, I think I will be happy with them for a long time, they have excellent detail retrieval, the soundstage is expansive and they are just enjoyable.

They are the best headphones to come out from Beyer in a long time I think (in my opinion better than the DT1990 which are also awesome).

I think the quality these have are similar to what the T1 (and T1 2nd Generation) have, it's the way they let you focus on the music and not the equipment.

Why do you consider them better than the DT1990 pro ?

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #685 of 2,659

Why do you consider them better than the DT1990 pro ?

Personal preference, the comfort is better and the sound is not as direct and in your face, it takes a step back. The DT1990 sort of bring out the flaws a bit more, they are not more detailed, but the way they present the detail is more upfront, whereas you can sit back and relax with the Amiron a little more.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #686 of 2,659

Personal preference, the comfort is better and the sound is not as direct and in your face, it takes a step back. The DT1990 sort of bring out the flaws a bit more, they are not more detailed, but the way they present the detail is more upfront, whereas you can sit back and relax with the Amiron a little more.

​Oh totally I realise its always personal preference, but its the factors which govern that preference that make the difference :)  I agree they are more comfortable.  Actually I would like a set that were 75% less clamping force than the DT1990pro's and 25% more than the Amiron homes.  In the same way they say you can "stretch" the headband of the DT's, do you think you could "compress" the headband of the Amiron's by squeezing it together (complete opposite to recommendation for DT's) ?

I also agree that they are not as "in your face".  Oddly, that's what I liked about the DT1990s (and the Grado DR325e's I had before them).  I probably misinterpreted that is being less accurate, since they did not seem to render the same texture and levels that the DT1990's do.  I suppose its the difference between listening to an orchestra down in the front row or up in the Gods.

I have a feeling I should have given the Amiron's more of a chance, but then mine did seem to have a fault too, whereby the yolk creaked when I moved my head !.  I wish there was someone near me who had some I could borrow for a week to be honest.  But there are not that many audiophiles in my area, despite the South East of the UK purportedly being one of the more affluent areas (I'm not affluent, by the way, LOL).

Its an interesting situation.  If there was a decent Hi-Fi retailer that had good demo models available my life would have been a lot easier.  I find it odd that the distributors of beyerdynamic UK are only 45 minutes away from me, but they don't have a full range of demo models, and worse still, have no intention of offering same.  Furthermore, their retail prices are higher than you can buy for elsewhere.  Totally bizarre.

Have you tried the T1gen2's ?

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #687 of 2,659

True the DT 1990 isn't more detailed, it's made for monitoring so it's to be expected it will reveal the flaws easier and be more in your face. I feel the DT 1990 is targeting is headphones like HD 600, etc. I felt the DT 1990 was a direct upgrade over the HD 600. The Amiron is targeting people who want a relaxed and detailed audiophile headphone. The two headphones sound quite different and are targeting different markets, they aren't really competing with each other. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #688 of 2,659
  True the DT 1990 isn't more detailed, it's made for monitoring so it's to be expected it will reveal the flaws easier and be more in your face. I feel the DT 1990 is targeting is headphones like HD 600, etc. I felt the DT 1990 was a direct upgrade over the HD 600. The Amiron is targeting people who want a relaxed and detailed audiophile headphone. The two headphones sound quite different and are targeting different markets, they aren't really competing with each other. 

That is something I have come to realise.  Its just a shame they don't make the DT1990 with the comfort of the Amiron home's

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #689 of 2,659
Hi All, Just ordered a pair of Amiron to see how they compare to my two favorite open headphones (HD600 and GS2000e).  I thought since the DT770 is my favorite closed headphone, and it's 80 ohm version also works great with both my Pono in single ended mode, and my PHA-1a, I'd try the Amiron with these portable sources as well.  I ordered a balanced cable for the Pono that will work with the Amiron and hopefully drive them as well in balanced mode as it does the HD600.  Has anyone else tried the Amiron in balanced mode with any portable players (like the Fiio X7 or HiFiMan 802/901 etc)?  I really love my GS2000e, but they're a bit much to walk around with with that ginormous cable and 1/8" adapter.  

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #690 of 2,659
​Oh totally I realise its always personal preference, but its the factors which govern that preference that make the difference :)  I agree they are more comfortable.  Actually I would like a set that were 75% less clamping force than the DT1990pro's and 25% more than the Amiron homes.  In the same way they say you can "stretch" the headband of the DT's, do you think you could "compress" the headband of the Amiron's by squeezing it together (complete opposite to recommendation for DT's) ?

I also agree that they are not as "in your face".  Oddly, that's what I liked about the DT1990s (and the Grado DR325e's I had before them).  I probably misinterpreted that is being less accurate, since they did not seem to render the same texture and levels that the DT1990's do.  I suppose its the difference between listening to an orchestra down in the front row or up in the Gods.

I have a feeling I should have given the Amiron's more of a chance, but then mine did seem to have a fault too, whereby the yolk creaked when I moved my head !.  I wish there was someone near me who had some I could borrow for a week to be honest.  But there are not that many audiophiles in my area, despite the South East of the UK purportedly being one of the more affluent areas (I'm not affluent, by the way, LOL).

Its an interesting situation.  If there was a decent Hi-Fi retailer that had good demo models available my life would have been a lot easier.  I find it odd that the distributors of beyerdynamic UK are only 45 minutes away from me, but they don't have a full range of demo models, and worse still, have no intention of offering same.  Furthermore, their retail prices are higher than you can buy for elsewhere.  Totally bizarre.

Have you tried the T1gen2's ?

Yes it's a shame the distributor doesn't offer demos of their headphones, but Hifiheadphones have a good demo room, but i don't think they have the Amiron home there yet. You also have Audio Sanctuary in London, not sure if they have the Amiron to demo either.

The distributor mainly deals with trade customers and only state the RRP on their website and do not offer a discount and would usually refer you to one of their resellers.

Again my Amiron still creak a little, but that's because the materials are tight when new and they have not worn in, it's is not an issue as i don't move when listening usually.

I have tried the T1 2nd generation, but i think for the price the Amiron is better value for money. They share similar traits, but the T1 is more resolving and also has a wider soundstage (thats the main sound difference, they are better built too). But i would not say they are worth twice the money, and they need a more powerful amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back