Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Mar 5, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #661 of 2,667
That's why the 1990 is so tempting....need to resist damnit!

Yeah, if you do get it, wait for the special deals that pop up on it. They are somewhat similar too, you can tell they are in the same family. I ended up getting the DT 1990 for $400 as they never sent me the amp so they refunded me $130. I got the Amiron for $479 and sold the FiiO E10k it came with. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #662 of 2,667
In furtherance of the points above, I am finding the Amiron really dynamic and punchy with the Violectric amp. Delicate and laid back are not what come to mind. There is heft to the sound actually. I can just imagine what the 1990 would sound like on that amp.

Glad you are enjoying the Amiron so much.  Great headphone... I just got a pair of Alpha Primes so my Amirons have been given a temporary reprieve.  The Amiron IS very dynamic and punchy. Coupled with a subtle softness I find incredibly endearing.  Very source dependent headphone, IMO.  I can see why they are sounding so great, you are throwing a lot of clean Violectric power their way.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #663 of 2,667
  Glad you are enjoying the Amiron so much.  Great headphone... I just got a pair of Alpha Primes so my Amirons have been given a temporary reprieve.  The Amiron IS very dynamic and punchy. Coupled with a subtle softness I find incredibly endearing.  Very source dependent headphone, IMO.  I can see why they are sounding so great, you are throwing a lot of clean Violectric power their way.

That is true about the Amiron's.

How do you find the Alpha Primes compare to the Amiron and other headphones you have? I only heard the headphone briefly not enough time to really grasp it. Some weird reason I ended up with all Beyers, actually didn't intend for that to happen. But I sold my last non-Beyer a month ago and that was the Audioquest Nighthawk, good headphone but got ignored with the DT 1990 and Amiron around.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #664 of 2,667
  That is true about the Amiron's.

How do you find the Alpha Primes compare to the Amiron and other headphones you have? I only heard the headphone briefly not enough time to really grasp it. Some weird reason I ended up with all Beyers, actually didn't intend for that to happen. But I sold my last non-Beyer a month ago and that was the Audioquest Nighthawk, good headphone but got ignored with the DT 1990 and Amiron around.

They do not resemble the Amiron's at all.  The Primes have an immediacy to the sound that is really intoxicating.  They are extremely open sounding for a closed can and portray a great image with a very organic timbre.  The bass is very deep and punchy.  Doesn't feel as soft as the Amiron.  The biggest difference for me is the midrange.  I find the Amiron's midrange to be a bit recessed which aids in its depth and horizontal sound stage.  The Prime just kind of smacks you over the head with clarity and oomph.  I can notice voice inflections with The Primes I can't with any other headphone I own.  They are a true reference closed back HP worth the money and the effort to procure.  The closest headphone I own would be The Elear.  My ZMF Omnis are pretty hard for me to put my finger on still.  I attribute this to the less than synergistic coupling with my Audeze Deckard.  It doesn't have enough power to really control the Omni's drivers.  At first blush I thought they would be the closest in signature, but they are very different.  Wonderful in their own right, but amazing to see how much flexibility the T50rp driver has.  Granted the Primes are the MK2 and the Omnis are the MK3. Been interested in the Nighthawk for sometime.  What did you like about it?  Hard when you have 2 headphones as competent and musical as the 1990 and Amiron. 

It is easy to end up with just one brand of headphones.  Especially if you are attracted to a certain signature.  Beyer makes a great product, very well rounded and musical.  I have tried really hard to maintain a stable of diverse headphones, but this leaves some on their stand more than I would like as I gravitate to certain headphones more than others.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #665 of 2,667
  They do not resemble the Amiron's at all.  The Primes have an immediacy to the sound that is really intoxicating.  They are extremely open sounding for a closed can and portray a great image with a very organic timbre.  The bass is very deep and punchy.  Doesn't feel as soft as the Amiron.  The biggest difference for me is the midrange.  I find the Amiron's midrange to be a bit recessed which aids in its depth and horizontal sound stage.  The Prime just kind of smacks you over the head with clarity and oomph.  I can notice voice inflections with The Primes I can't with any other headphone I own.  They are a true reference closed back HP worth the money and the effort to procure.  The closest headphone I own would be The Elear.  My ZMF Omnis are pretty hard for me to put my finger on still.  I attribute this to the less than synergistic coupling with my Audeze Deckard.  It doesn't have enough power to really control the Omni's drivers.  At first blush I thought they would be the closest in signature, but they are very different.  Wonderful in their own right, but amazing to see how much flexibility the T50rp driver has.  Granted the Primes are the MK2 and the Omnis are the MK3. Been interested in the Nighthawk for sometime.  What did you like about it?  Hard when you have 2 headphones as competent and musical as the 1990 and Amiron. 

It is easy to end up with just one brand of headphones.  Especially if you are attracted to a certain signature.  Beyer makes a great product, very well rounded and musical.  I have tried really hard to maintain a stable of diverse headphones, but this leaves some on their stand more than I would like as I gravitate to certain headphones more than others.  

I didn't think they would. Yes the Amiron's upper midrange is a bit recessed, can easily tell compared to the DT 1990, but it's even more obvious compared to the midrange monster that is the DT 480. Well the Nighthawks are good but had some fatigue issues to me which is one reason I let them go. But what I liked was how coherent and liquid it sounded with incredible dynamics. It didn't really sound recessed in the mids either. I did find the original NH to be a bit overly warm though, it's very thick and full sounding. and that sub-bass when it got going was something special. It also refused to distort, it could be turned up to insane volumes and wouldn't distort. What caused the fatigue may of been the slightly etched treble which I feel is it's main flaw as it occasionally detracts from the listening experience, though many people don't notice it. Yes it is, the DT 1990 and Amiron is what made me ignore the Hawks.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #666 of 2,667
  I didn't think they would. Yes the Amiron's upper midrange is a bit recessed, can easily tell compared to the DT 1990, but it's even more obvious compared to the midrange monster that is the DT 480. Well the Nighthawks are good but had some fatigue issues to me which is one reason I let them go. But what I liked was how coherent and liquid it sounded with incredible dynamics. It didn't really sound recessed in the mids either. I did find the original NH to be a bit overly warm though, it's very thick and full sounding. and that sub-bass when it got going was something special. It also refused to distort, it could be turned up to insane volumes and wouldn't distort. What caused the fatigue may of been the slightly etched treble which I feel is it's main flaw as it occasionally detracts from the listening experience, though many people don't notice it. Yes it is, the DT 1990 and Amiron is what made me ignore the Hawks.

They sound like an interesting listen.  I will give them a try at Canjam SoCal.  I find it interesting how many people claim the Amiron to have the etched treble you speak of with the Nighthawk.  To me, the Amiron's treble is sweet and subtle.  The subjectivity of how we each hear makes for great diversity within the community.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #667 of 2,667
  They sound like an interesting listen.  I will give them a try at Canjam SoCal.  I find it interesting how many people claim the Amiron to have the etched treble you speak of with the Nighthawk.  To me, the Amiron's treble is sweet and subtle.  The subjectivity of how we each hear makes for great diversity within the community.  

They are an interesting listen. I think the slight-etchdness comes from the fostex-like drivers they have. The Amiron can be a tad bright at times, especially at louder volumes, but it's not what I call etched to my ears. I didn't find the T1.2 etched either, I just found it to have a little more treble presence than I liked. It does make for great diversity in the community for sure. I find many of the Tesla's can have a bit of sizzle, especially the older Tesla's such as the T1 but honestly you get used to it and forget about it as you continue listening. With etched treble I found it gets more annoying the longer you listen and the treble stands out more and more with time even if it's a dark headphone.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #670 of 2,667
Hello,
I'm currently looking for an upgrade of my HD598. I mostly play (say 80% games, 20% music) and I use an Objective2+ODAC Combo. I want something good for competitiv FPS (aka wide soundstage), even though I don't play competitivly as much as previously. So "good enough" will do.
As of music, it is mostly electronic (I really enjoy Kavinsky at the moment).
I do not use virtual surround (except on CSGO with HRTF but that's the only one), so only stereo.

In short I want an all around headphone that is good for games (so a better 598 :) ).
Would the Amiron be suitable ? Focal elear is on my list, HD650 aswel.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #671 of 2,667
Hello,
I'm currently looking for an upgrade of my HD598. I mostly play (say 80% games, 20% music) and I use an Objective2+ODAC Combo. I want something good for competitiv FPS (aka wide soundstage), even though I don't play competitivly as much as previously. So "good enough" will do.
As of music, it is mostly electronic (I really enjoy Kavinsky at the moment).
I do not use virtual surround (except on CSGO with HRTF but that's the only one), so only stereo.

In short I want an all around headphone that is good for games (so a better 598 :) ).
Would the Amiron be suitable ? Focal elear is on my list, HD650 aswel.
i think the soundstage is wide enough to make them very good for gaming, but most of all, the amiron home is EXTREMELY comfortable (imo). and that is why i think they are definitely a headphone that you would like, for your needs. always best to audition first, but if you cant, i would say just go for it.. if by any miracle you do not like them, you can always return them. oh and yes they will be a huge upgrade from your 598's!

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #672 of 2,667
hi guys
sorry I read 20 pages and couldn't find my answer.. so I ask here. Does anyone try listening to classical music on Amiron? Especially orchastra, like Mahler and  Bruckner. I have a pair of HD600 with stefan cable and want to upgrade to Amiron. Not sure if it worths the money.
And I am using MicroZOTL 2.0 with linear power supply, will this be a good AMP for the Amiron?
Thanks.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #673 of 2,667
  hi guys
sorry I read 20 pages and couldn't find my answer.. so I ask here. Does anyone try listening to classical music on Amiron? Especially orchastra, like Mahler and  Bruckner. I have a pair of HD600 with stefan cable and want to upgrade to Amiron. Not sure if it worths the money.
And I am using MicroZOTL 2.0 with linear power supply, will this be a good AMP for the Amiron?
Thanks.

I don't know about the HD600 but I own the Amiron and K712. The Amiron sits comfortably in the box while I'm enjoying listening to Mahler on my K712.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #675 of 2,667
  Is an Objective2+ODAC Combo good enough for the Amiron ?

Yes it is, but I do prefer them out of a tube amp (personal preference)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back