Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Mar 2, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #631 of 2,667
  what I've heard on other Fostex's(and Denon's) that use the pads the TH-610 uses, the sound is going to be warmer and more intimate than what is found on the TH-600 and TH-900(even better soundstaging than the TH600).

Yeah that's pretty much what I've heard too, about the TH-610 as well as the various Massdrop TH-X00 variations. That's a shame. I've never been able to get that amazing soundstage out of my mind. One of these days I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and get a TH-900.

Do you know if there are different pads on the TH-900mk2 and whether those have any effect on its soundstage?

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #632 of 2,667

Yeah that's pretty much what I've heard too, about the TH-610 as well as the various Massdrop TH-X00 variations. That's a shame. I've never been able to get that amazing soundstage out of my mind. One of these days I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and get a TH-900.

Do you know if there are different pads on the TH-900mk2 and whether those have any effect on its soundstage?

Ah, yeah, I've heard the Fostex TH-X00, the first one, not the purple hearts or ebony. Though honestly the HD 800S and Z1R were more impressive soundstage wise to my ears. Have you tried any of the new Tesla Beyers? 

I believe the only difference on the TH-900mk2 is just the removable cable, the pads are the same.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #633 of 2,667
  Seriously ?  A whole conversation on what the headphone is called ?  Get a grip.  That's like saying I like the Porsche Carrera but I wish they had called it the 929.  Is it honestly something to get het up about ?  What matters is build quality and sound reproduction.  Lets keep it real.

Guess we can't have any fun around here. :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #634 of 2,667
  Ah, yeah, I've heard the Fostex TH-X00, the first one, not the purple hearts or ebony. Though honestly the HD 800S and Z1R were more impressive soundstage wise to my ears. Have you tried any of the new Tesla Beyers? 

I believe the only difference on the TH-900mk2 is just the removable cable, the pads are the same.

Nope, I still haven't heard any of the tesla Beyers. Well, except for the DT1350. I *think* those are teslas but they're a totally different kind of headphone. I have a ton of experience with the earlier Beyers (DT770, DT880, DT990). Do you feel like these new teslas are a big improvement over previous models in terms of soundstage?

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #635 of 2,667
  I haven't heard the TH-610 yet, plan to soon but going by what I've heard on other Fostex's(and Denon's) that use the pads the TH-610 uses, the sound is going to be warmer and more intimate than what is found on the TH-600 and TH-900(even better soundstaging than the TH600). Where I feel the new Tesla 2.0 Beyers(DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron) really shine is tonality, timbre, dynamics, and euphony. I find the Fostex phones in general are really good at soundstage depth and realism. 

​kman....  please define the four words you used above (your definition, not a dictionary's) for me, so I can understand what you are referring to.  Whilst I ask, actually, is there a "guide to headphone appreciation" or some such sticky or document, where noobs like me can learn the different jargon and develop a method of critical review for headphones ?

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #636 of 2,667

Nope, I still haven't heard any of the tesla Beyers. Well, except for the DT1350. I *think* those are teslas but they're a totally different kind of headphone. I have a ton of experience with the earlier Beyers (DT770, DT880, DT990). Do you feel like these new teslas are a big improvement over previous models in terms of soundstage?

Ah. Depends on the Tesla Beyer, the T1 and T1.2 without a doubt, they are fantastic in terms of soundstage, and are especially good in terms of imaging just wish they had a little more body and a slightly darker tone. The DT 1350 is a Tesla but I haven't heard any of the portable Teslas. The Amiron is a moderate upgrade in terms of soundstage but a substantial upgrade in terms of refinement, imaging, body, and tonality. The DT 1990 is less of an upgrade soundstage wise than the Amiron but gains more tightness, midrange body, and neutrality compared to the Amiron. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #638 of 2,667

​kman....  please define the four words you used above (your definition, not a dictionary's) for me, so I can understand what you are referring to.  Whilst I ask, actually, is there a "guide to headphone appreciation" or some such sticky or document, where noobs like me can learn the different jargon and develop a method of critical review for headphones ?

I don't fully follow the definition list and my definitions may be a bit different. Tonality and timbre is how natural I find both the instruments and vocals of the headphone to sound. Dynamics is how good the headphones handles dynamic range(quiet to very loud), a headphone with a good dynamic range can have a lot of body, attack, and slam to it's sound if called for. Euphony is the hardest to grasp and quantify, it's this subtle addictive quality to the sound that causes a sensation slightly akin to euphoria. Another definition to know is transparency, it's how well the headphone gets out of the way and allows you to focus on the music. When listening to a non-transparent headphone, you never quite forget you are listening to a headphone while on a transparent one you will. Also transparency can also refer to how well the headphone reveals the system and the recording. Essentially transparency means how well the headphone or piece of gear gets out of the way soundwise. The more transparent the gear the more it is like you are there listening to the actual performance rather than listening to a device trying to replicate it. Many audiophiles goal is ultimate transparency. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #639 of 2,667
Whilst I ask, actually, is there a "guide to headphone appreciation" or some such sticky or document, where noobs like me can learn the different jargon and develop a method of critical review for headphones ?

Here you go:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

And here's the glossary for equipment/technical terms:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #640 of 2,667

​Lol. Fun is good.  Moaning about naming conventions, to me, doesn't seem like fun, but hey, if it pleases you, carry on and I will just ignore the naming comments.  I don't care if a headphone is called a pig in a poke so long as I like it :wink:

I really don't think anyone was all too worried about the name, just curious what an Amiron actually is. Like my previous post, I mentioned it was the name for some heart medication, which I find odd and a bit funny. I'm the same as you, don't really care what it's called, sound and fit are what matters most.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #641 of 2,667

I really don't think anyone was all too worried about the name, just curious what an Amiron actually is. Like my previous post, I mentioned it was the name for some heart medication, which I find odd and a bit funny. I'm the same as you, don't really care what it's called, sound and fit are what matters most.

I'm not so sure.  I think some people were getting quite anal about it, hahah.  Not for the first time on this thread too, which is the only reason I commented tbh.  Its funny the first time, seeing people get hot under the collar because they didn't get steak on Tuesday (ref: Shirley Valentine), but when the same old moan gets rolled out again its boring.  But I'm being a party pooper, lol.  Id rather moan that I cant afford the headphones I REALLY want :p

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #642 of 2,667
CBonUK, I think you might want to check out the T90's or HD700's and maybe even T70's. They're a lot brighter than Amirons, and even DT1990's, and it appears that your preference tilts toward a bright and clear sound. Another plus: they have gotten quite cheap lately.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #643 of 2,667
  I'm not so sure.  I think some people were getting quite anal about it, hahah.  Not for the first time on this thread too, which is the only reason I commented tbh.  Its funny the first time, seeing people get hot under the collar because they didn't get steak on Tuesday (ref: Shirley Valentine), but when the same old moan gets rolled out again its boring.  But I'm being a party pooper, lol.  Id rather moan that I cant afford the headphones I REALLY want :p

Chris, are you causing a raucous?  I hope so...

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #644 of 2,667
  Chris, are you causing a raucous?  I hope so...

​Moi ?  I don't know what you mean ! LOL.  Nah, not really a raucous, just a bit of gentle badgering.  I kinda like names rather than numbers.  Giving something numbers kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  I could make a few scathing remarks but that really WOULD cause a raucous.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #645 of 2,667
Hi guys, can you recommend a good dac below $1k that pairs well with amiron home? :)

here's my current setup:

DAC: Ibasso DX90
Amp: Gustard H10
Source: windows pc with foobar2k

17039353_1652605674753721_8144748459394306006_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back