Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 20, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #526 of 2,667
I have listened to my Amirons out of my LG V20, which has a great amp/dac.. Also, Leckerton UHA-6S, Oppo HA-2se and my Audeze Deckard. Each move upstream provides me that much more clarity, bass control and extension. I like it a lot of my Oppo, but love it out of my Deckard. For its relative efficiency it sure loves power.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #527 of 2,667
I think it was made to scale well with higher end amplification. After all it's marketed as a headphone for home systems. The Amiron sounds amazing when I pair it to the Feliks Elise tube amp, which is connected to my turntable/phono stage. It is becoming one of my favorite headphones.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #528 of 2,667
I have a question for you fellas. So I haven't had the opportunity to listen to many different headphones.
I am currently using DT990 Pro (the all black edition) with a Valhalla 2 and currently a Modi 2 (plan on probably getting the Bifrost in a few months). I really enjoy the DT990 Pros but I am looking for something new to try. I am stuck between the Amiron home and the 1990 Pro. Anyone have suggestions on which way to go? I listen to a bit of everything (EDM, Classic Rock, Metal, Classical Music, Piano, Violin, and so on).

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #530 of 2,667

I can totally see you having a sensitivity to it.

The T90 is a great headphone, and the only reason I never bought one was because of the strident treble. It was never too much for me at all, but it really made the headphone sound overly bright. So much so that it was annoying. For comparison I also own the HD800 and T1, plus the DT990, and I find none of them all that bright. 

Haven't seen a ton of comparisons between the Amiron Home and the original T1. I mainly use the T1's for orchestra and acoustic music, and they do an amazing job IMO, but would mind something that will handle a broader range.

Willing to add some opinions between the two since you own both?

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #531 of 2,667

Haven't seen a ton of comparisons between the Amiron Home and the original T1. I mainly use the T1's for orchestra and acoustic music, and they do an amazing job IMO, but would mind something that will handle a broader range.

Willing to add some opinions between the two since you own both?

Certainly. The T1 has a different presentation to the Amiron Home altogether. The T1 is more accurate and precise with a brighter sound a leaner bass. The bass may be leaner but the quality of bass is a lot better than what the Amiron has. It goes deeper and is more controller. The Amiron's bass is fuller and has substantially more impact an weight to it. There is a loss of tightness and control, but the bass isn't bad at all. The midrange of both is also quite different. Both offer a full midrange but the Amiron has a bit more body to it and isn't as detailed/transparent as the T1's. The T1's midrange is quite clean with a hint of warmth with excellent detail. Treble is the biggest difference between the two. The T1 is quite a bit brighter and the Amiron is more subdued and a tad rolled off in the higher frequencies. Extension on the Amiron is also a bit lacking when you compare them to the T90 or T1. Detail is great on both but is better on the T1. The T1'd treble is kinda like the DT880 while the AMiron is smooth like the HD650, well kind off. They aren't the same, but it's the closest I can compare to form what I've heard.

So really the Amiron is a lot warmer and fuller sounding than the T1, but the T1 is the more detailed and revealing headphone. I've been using the Amiron a bit more than the T1 as of late, but I still use the T1 when I watch movies.

Keep in mind I own a T1.1 and haven't heard the gen. 2 yet. I hope this kind of clears it up. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #532 of 2,667

Who cares what they're designed for... the 1770s (and therefore I presume the 1990s) sound great and are very comfortable, so why would anyone think "oh no, these are only for mixing desks so I'd better not wear them anywhere else"?! If the headband is too tight, just stretch it out a bit, et voila!. 

Maybe "warm" is all relative. After all, "warm" in northern Germany in October is not actually considered very warm by a lot of people elsewhere. So perhaps they're "teutonic warm"!

​Hi you wrote if the headband is too tight, just stretch it out.... can you tell me how to do that without breaking it ?  As I find it too tight for me.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #534 of 2,667

Given that all the Beyers are compatible with each other's pads, you could just try your DT 1990 with a new set of pads. I might be wrong but to me it seems like the Amiron use same pads as T 90, for which I got a new pair from Beyerdynamic's German website (via a German mail proxy). If the problem is with clamping force, then you can straighten the headband a couple times and it will be much nicer. I did that to my DT 990 Pros and they're now perfect.

​care to do a mini video of how to do this so we can know how far out they can be stretched without risk of damage ?

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #535 of 2,667
Just to chime in, I have a T90 chrome edition I listen through my upgraded Little dot 1+. I don't think most people bother to experiment with pad rolling (other brands) on Beyer headphones just because stock pads are so good. But I have angled Audeze microsuede pads on my T90 and it's really helped with the aggressive highs and gives more sense of space as the driver is further from your ear. It does change the sound a bit so it's a matter of personal preference. Also the Audeze pads are another league of comfort. The best I ever felt. FYI, my other current headphones are Audio-Technica AD1000x which I use the same pads on. The T90 is a bit more open and detailed but also a bit more laid back. The AT is a little bit more vibrant and aggressive in the mids but thicker sounding or even slightly congested in comparison.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #536 of 2,667
I guess that's one big advantage of the Amiron - not sure that it would ever be necessary to upgrade the pads.  The pads are great as is.  

And just to echo once again prior posts about amplification, there is no reason for the Amiron to sound thin or lacking in dynamics if you have a relatively good quality and powerful amp.  I find the Amiron to have a fairly rich and full sound.  Perhaps a tad recessed in the mid-range but not that noticeable.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #537 of 2,667
what amp is that please?

That sir is a DAP called the Lotoo Paw Gold, fantastic player, not that pocket friendly though.

Also bought my pair of Amirons today :D

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #538 of 2,667
That sir is a DAP called the Lotoo Paw Gold, fantastic player, not that pocket friendly though.

Also bought my pair of Amirons today
biggrin.gif

ouch !  so tiny yet so pricy, lol.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #539 of 2,667

Certainly. The T1 has a different presentation to the Amiron Home altogether. The T1 is more accurate and precise with a brighter sound a leaner bass. The bass may be leaner but the quality of bass is a lot better than what the Amiron has. It goes deeper and is more controller. The Amiron's bass is fuller and has substantially more impact an weight to it. There is a loss of tightness and control, but the bass isn't bad at all. The midrange of both is also quite different. Both offer a full midrange but the Amiron has a bit more body to it and isn't as detailed/transparent as the T1's. The T1's midrange is quite clean with a hint of warmth with excellent detail. Treble is the biggest difference between the two. The T1 is quite a bit brighter and the Amiron is more subdued and a tad rolled off in the higher frequencies. Extension on the Amiron is also a bit lacking when you compare them to the T90 or T1. Detail is great on both but is better on the T1. The T1'd treble is kinda like the DT880 while the AMiron is smooth like the HD650, well kind off. They aren't the same, but it's the closest I can compare to form what I've heard.

So really the Amiron is a lot warmer and fuller sounding than the T1, but the T1 is the more detailed and revealing headphone. I've been using the Amiron a bit more than the T1 as of late, but I still use the T1 when I watch movies.

Keep in mind I own a T1.1 and haven't heard the gen. 2 yet. I hope this kind of clears it up. 

Much appreciated Zombie_X. I own the HD600's to contrast the T1's so sounds like replacing the T1 with the Amiron isn't what I'm looking for. Really appreciate the efforts here, thanks again. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #540 of 2,667
I'll just leave this here... Not even burnt in yet, still sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back