Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #498 of 2,667
  Thanks for the reply.

I looked at some pictures and they looked non-removable. Is the removal method/mechanism the same as every other beyer headphone??

It's the same as the DT 1770/1990. The first time taking them off, I suggest slowly pushing the pad around the diameter outwards instead of pulling. Also when putting them back on, put them on the ring and make sure the second lip under the clear lip is going on otherwise they will be hard to put on. Some reason the pads area little more difficult to remove and put back on than normal Beyers, which you easily pull off. Any round over-ear Beyer pad will fit them of course.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #499 of 2,667
anyone has already tried these with the schiit jotunheim?

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #501 of 2,667
I became part of the Amiron club a few days ago. Still very early so have to be very careful not to be to positive but it's damn difficult :grinning:. For what is worth i paid full price for these and are fully happy with this!

I can't remember who wrote it. But a few weeks ago i read in this tread something likes this "comfort and Amiron and Z1R". One of the issues i had in the past with Beyer phones was comfort. This is clearly solved with the Amiron. Comfort is almost on the same level as the Z1R which means several hours use without any fatigue.

In the last 6 months I've had the 1770, 1990 and the T5P 2. 1770 was not my cup of coffee, too closed and small stage but ok comfort. The 1990 was better and had solved the issues i had with the 1770. For sonics alone i would have kept it. But clamp force was to hard, so comfort was for me not very good. Note, i had the Z1R at the same time, so the barre was high. The same was the case with T5P 2. I liked the signature, sometimes with some music i could hear a kind of artificial soundstage, but all in all i liked them. But very small cups, i had to adjust the headband often. So they also had to leave lol.

So i didn't really think so much about Beyer headphones until 2 weeks ago.

I partly understand the comments about build quality. It's mostly plastic and they do look a bit cheap. But maybe Beyer had a purpose with this. They are very light and the overall design and size reminds me more of the T5P than the 1990. Comfort with bigger cups.

At 250 ohm i think they are very easy to drive. My HTC 10 can drive them, though not properly. For a smartphone the LG V10 has a lot of power in high impedance mode. And for casual listening i could easily live with the V10 and the Amiron.

But the Ibasso DX200 take them at least a level up. It's a damn fine dap with lots of power even in SE. It's was my intention to buy a balanced cable to use with DX200 but i am not so sure anymore. I don't know if i would benefit from it. Until now i have not have one moment where i thought "the DX200 can't keep up here i miss power(not volume)". Even bass impact/response is powerful i don't even think i want more, and I like bass :grinning:.

The Z1R is clearly a better headphone with a lot better build quality but also a lot more expensive. Luckily i didn't pay full price for them but still almost 3 times the amount compared to the Amiron. Who said diminishing returns :grinning:.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #502 of 2,667
I became part of the Amiron club a few days ago. Still very early so have to be very careful not to be to positive but it's damn difficult :grinning:. For what is worth i paid full price for these and are fully happy with this!

I can't remember who wrote it. But a few weeks ago i read in this tread something likes this "comfort and Amiron and Z1R". One of the issues i had in the past with Beyer phones was comfort. This is clearly solved with the Amiron. Comfort is almost on the same level as the Z1R which means several hours use without any fatigue.

In the last 6 months I've had the 1770, 1990 and the T5P 2. 1770 was not my cup of coffee, too closed and small stage but ok comfort. The 1990 was better and had solved the issues i had with the 1770. For sonics alone i would have kept it. But clamp force was to hard, so comfort was for me not very good. Note, i had the Z1R at the same time, so the barre was high. The same was the case with T5P 2. I liked the signature, sometimes with some music i could hear a kind of artificial soundstage, but all in all i liked them. But very small cups, i had to adjust the headband often. So they also had to leave lol.

So i didn't really think so much about Beyer headphones until 2 weeks ago.

I partly understand the comments about build quality. It's mostly plastic and they do look a bit cheap. But maybe Beyer had a purpose with this. They are very light and the overall design and size reminds me more of the T5P than the 1990. Comfort with bigger cups.

At 250 ohm i think they are very easy to drive. My HTC 10 can drive them, though not properly. For a smartphone the LG V10 has a lot of power in high impedance mode. And for casual listening i could easily live with the V10 and the Amiron.

But the Ibasso DX200 take them at least a level up. It's a damn fine dap with lots of power even in SE. It's was my intention to buy a balanced cable to use with DX200 but i am not so sure anymore. I don't know if i would benefit from it. Until now i have not have one moment where i thought "the DX200 can't keep up here i miss power(not volume)". Even bass impact/response is powerful i don't even think i want more, and I like bass :grinning:.

The Z1R is clearly a better headphone with a lot better build quality but also a lot more expensive. Luckily i didn't pay full price for them but still almost 3 times the amount compared to the Amiron. Who said diminishing returns :grinning:.

Glad you are enjoying them. Honestly I think for smaller heads the DT 1990 is more suited for. I know a few female audiophiles and they prefer the fit and comfort of the DT 1990 and find the Amiron too loose. I guess I'm lucky I find both the DT 1990 and Amiron roughly the same comfort wise with the slight edge to the Amiron. Never listened to the T5P much. I had a T1.2 which I found very comfortable, just as much as the the Amiron but the sound was too bright for my liking, though I loved it's ethereal imaging and the treble detail was impressive when it wasn't overbearing, really shined on high quality recordings, maybe with careful system matching I would of loved it.

I really want to get my hands on the Z1R, luckily have heard it a few times. But will have to wait on it despite wanting it more than any other headphone right now.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #503 of 2,667

The 1990 was better and had solved the issues i had with the 1770. For sonics alone i would have kept it. But clamp force was to hard, so comfort was for me not very good. 

I replaced the metal head bow with its low pressure counterpart from beyerdynamic's home headphones: http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/metallbugel-1.html

You just need a torx screwdriver and some patience. Oh, and a knife to remove a very small plastic pin from the DT1990's slider construction on each side because the original bow has a small opening for it on its side which is absent in the low-pressure bow. Removing it does not affect stability at all. So strictly speaking the mod is not reversible - however it's still possible to put the old bow back into the headband.

It's a cheap mod which makes the DT1990 much more comfortable for me.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #505 of 2,667
It's the same as the DT 1770/1990. The first time taking them off, I suggest slowly pushing the pad around the diameter outwards instead of pulling. Also when putting them back on, put them on the ring and make sure the second lip under the clear lip is going on otherwise they will be hard to put on. Some reason the pads area little more difficult to remove and put back on than normal Beyers, which you easily pull off. Any round over-ear Beyer pad will fit them of course.

Thank You.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #507 of 2,667

That sounds like a total contradiction lol.  If you were to ask, I would say your answer was as clear as mud.  (Not being rude or criticising). If you had only one headphone you would have the DT1990, but you use the Amiron the most and its a better compliment that will get more use overall.  Surely that would make the Amiron the contender for sole model ?

You also mentioned your only regret is that Beyer didn't make the DT1990s with twin cables like the Amiron.  Does it REALLY make any difference ?  When I see people write stuff like that, being a total novice, makes me worry that I shouldn't be getting the DT1990s (or any headphone without balanced cables).

Can you describe in what way you perceive the sound sig. to be so much better than the HD650 ?  It would be useful to "quantify" this in some way (again so newbies like me can understand a little more about why its worth spending twice as much money and then some).  Also are you saying the X2 is similar to the HD650 or similar to the Amiron :)  If it is the latter then at the price it makes the X2 very attractive (y).

From my seat as an Amiron owner, I find little comparison between the X2 and the Amiron.  If the X2 in question is the Fidelio X2.  I found the X2 to be incredibly V shaped, whereas the Amiron not so much.  It's mid range is slightly recessed, but not even close to the level of the X2.  In addition, the X2's bass is much bigger, albeit much looser and wooly.  To me at least.  I think the Amiron is a significantly more resolving and subtle headphone with warmth and clarity happening in concert.  The soundstage of the X2 and Amiron would be the only part of the two I would compare.  As for the HD650, I haven't spent enough time with it to give an opinion.  The Amiron is fantastic and worth the money.   

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #510 of 2,667
I know it's much cheaper but the X2 build quality was not so good. It's also bulky and the pads are stiff and uncomfortable. The X2 is massively overrated on this forum. Not in the same league as the Amiron.

Of course they aren't in the same league, but they are somewhat similar in tone. The X2 is brighter and a bit thinner in the mid, but has more bass. The X2 is more V-shaped, but it's one of the only headphones I've heard that is similar to the Amiron Home in tone. The Amiron Home stomps on the X2 several times over. There's absolutely no contest when it's comes to the abilities of each headphone. The X2 is good for a $200 headphone (yes, they are overpriced at $300), but the Amiron Home is easily worth it's price.

Now I've been comparing them all day and going from the Amiron to the X2 is jarring at times. The X2 sounds like a wall of bloated bass and treble while the Amiron is really balanced, although somewhat softer in the treble. The added bass on the X2 is it's biggest fault as it completely masks the midrange at times and a tad sloppy. The AH is really warm and clear with great bass control and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back