Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #466 of 2,667
Just a heads up, since this is the Amiron thread:  UK Amazon price currently appr £510.  Amazon.fr are selling for 513 euro which is about £438   ... Saving of £72.  Shipping is 7 euros.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #467 of 2,667
After spending more time with both, I'm realizing I'm using the Amiron more of the two. If I had only one headphone, it would be the DT 1990, but I'm finding the DT 480 does what I like most about the DT 1990 better(the tactility) so the more laid-back sound of the Amiron is ending up a better compliment and since I watch so much stuff and play games I find the Amiron will get more use overall.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #468 of 2,667
I am actually gaining more of an appreciation for the Amiron over the brief time I've had them. Usually the trajectory is excitement for new toy and then a dip in enthusiasm. I am still deeply impressed with how damn comfortable they are. They are like wearing well worn slippers. No adjustment period needed.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #469 of 2,667
I am actually gaining more of an appreciation for the Amiron over the brief time I've had them. Usually the trajectory is excitement for new toy and then a dip in enthusiasm. I am still deeply impressed with how damn comfortable they are. They are like wearing well worn slippers. No adjustment period needed.

I am finding the more I use the Amirons the more I like them. They have that type of sound that grows on you with use. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #470 of 2,667
​That's a fair point JerseyD.  And it highlights the problem too.  Whilst there may be local rules to North America or Europe specifically, it seems the rule (MAP) needs to be GLOBAL.  In these days of worldwide shipping at minimal cost, its the only way to prevent what you have said above.  My complaint was that the cans concerned were cheaper in Canada than in Europe.  (And oddly, significantly cheaper than in the USA).  Do Beyer have a manufacturing plant in the USA or are ALL of their products manufactured in Germany ?  Cos my point was, how the hell can they sell them to Canadian resellers and have them sell the same product for almost £100 / US$125 / CDN$160 less than it goes for in the UK.  Seems its what you described only in reverse. 

Anyway, how about those Amirons, too, lol.  (Although I also personally prefer the DT1990 and cant wait to re-order another pair, even if I DO have to pay more than I did originally, grrr).

Hey, I know a good authorized dealer, if you need one. Wink wink. :grin:

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #471 of 2,667
What I've been loving about the Amiron's is how they can make badly mastered (way to bright) recordings sound great, and also not butcher anything that already sounded good. They don't ever make anything sound muffled or out of focus, but add a layer of smoothness and warmth to the recording. I am also enjoying the elevated bass over the original T90. The sound signature really does remind me of the HD650, but way better. The X2 is similar too and that's great.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #472 of 2,667
  What I've been loving about the Amiron's is how they can make badly mastered (way to bright) recordings sound great, and also not butcher anything that already sounded good. They don't ever make anything sound muffled or out of focus, but add a layer of smoothness and warmth to the recording. I am also enjoying the elevated bass over the original T90. The sound signature really does remind me of the HD650, but way better. The X2 is similar too and that's great.

Honestly I'm finding the Amiron to be the HD 650 upgrade I was looking for. I always liked the HD 650's tuning but always wanted something better and I like the Beyer flair the Amiron has. The DT 1990 I found is more of an HD 600 or DT 880 upgrade depending on which pads I used, just wished Beyer made it had dual-entry cables. I did try the Elear which many claim is the upgrade to the HD 650 but it honestly isn't, the Elear was it's own thing, it had a rather unique sound to it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #474 of 2,667
  After spending more time with both, I'm realizing I'm using the Amiron more of the two. If I had only one headphone, it would be the DT 1990, but I'm finding the DT 480 does what I like most about the DT 1990 better(the tactility) so the more laid-back sound of the Amiron is ending up a better compliment and since I watch so much stuff and play games I find the Amiron will get more use overall.

That sounds like a total contradiction lol.  If you were to ask, I would say your answer was as clear as mud.  (Not being rude or criticising). If you had only one headphone you would have the DT1990, but you use the Amiron the most and its a better compliment that will get more use overall.  Surely that would make the Amiron the contender for sole model ?

You also mentioned your only regret is that Beyer didn't make the DT1990s with twin cables like the Amiron.  Does it REALLY make any difference ?  When I see people write stuff like that, being a total novice, makes me worry that I shouldn't be getting the DT1990s (or any headphone without balanced cables).

Can you describe in what way you perceive the sound sig. to be so much better than the HD650 ?  It would be useful to "quantify" this in some way (again so newbies like me can understand a little more about why its worth spending twice as much money and then some).  Also are you saying the X2 is similar to the HD650 or similar to the Amiron :)  If it is the latter then at the price it makes the X2 very attractive (y).

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #477 of 2,667

Does having twin cables not automatically mean they are balanced ?  I don't really get the balanced jargon... being a newb, I assumed that they were balanced if they had left and right feeds.

they share 1 cable (ground); a 4pins cable (XLR) has 4 cables inside; a ground and live cable for both channels.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #478 of 2,667
Does having twin cables not automatically mean they are balanced ?  I don't really get the balanced jargon... being a newb, I assumed that they were balanced if they had left and right feeds.

Beyer sell an aftermarket balanced cable for use with balanced amps, as in a balanced amp the L and R signal are separate throughout the amp, with separate ground cables too. I won't get in to the technical parts, but it's supposed to increase stereo separation by lowering crosstalk and tackle other problems too. I'm not a huge believer in them though.

Also you always state you are a newbie, your review of the Amirons on Amazon is less than helpful if I may be frank...

Either way I hope you enjoy the DT1990 when you get them again, they are also awesome headphones.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #479 of 2,667
Beyer sell an aftermarket balanced cable for use with balanced amps, as in a balanced amp the L and R signal are separate throughout the amp, with separate ground cables too. I won't get in to the technical parts, but it's supposed to increase stereo separation by lowering crosstalk and tackle other problems too. I'm not a huge believer in them though.

Also you always state you are a newbie, your review of the Amirons on Amazon is less than helpful if I may be frank...

Either way I hope you enjoy the DT1990 when you get them again, they are also awesome headphones.

​Fair comment:  Ive edited the review and adjusted the star rating. Just waiting for Amazon to approve.  It was a knee jerk review and I am usually much more objective.  I guess it was frustration both at the headphones and Amazon I was venting, so thanks for pointing that out.  I would not want to put others off the Amirons as they are a good headphone.  Just not for me.  Its a learning curve and one thing I know for definite now is that I prefer the crispness of the DT1990's.  Thanks for your comments on them.. I'm waiting for a price fall now as Amazon seem to change their pricing all the time.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #480 of 2,667
That sounds like a total contradiction lol.  If you were to ask, I would say your answer was as clear as mud.  (Not being rude or criticising). If you had only one headphone you would have the DT1990, but you use the Amiron the most and its a better compliment that will get more use overall.  Surely that would make the Amiron the contender for sole model ?

You also mentioned your only regret is that Beyer didn't make the DT1990s with twin cables like the Amiron.  Does it REALLY make any difference ?  When I see people write stuff like that, being a total novice, makes me worry that I shouldn't be getting the DT1990s (or any headphone without balanced cables).

Can you describe in what way you perceive the sound sig. to be so much better than the HD650 ?  It would be useful to "quantify" this in some way (again so newbies like me can understand a little more about why its worth spending twice as much money and then some).  Also are you saying the X2 is similar to the HD650 or similar to the Amiron :)  If it is the latter then at the price it makes the X2 very attractive (y).

Well in a sense but the thing is don't find the Amiron a genre master like the DT 1990 as the DT 1990 sounds great with every genre while the Amiron is great on many but merely good/okay on others. What's happening my modded DT 480 is replacing the DT 1990 for me, honestly I don't really want two Teslas as they do sound quite similar, what's nice with the DT 480 it has an aluminum driver with insane clarity, speed, and tactility, it's amazing how thin the headphone makes everything else I've owned sound it has so much body. I'm still working on modding the DT 480 but it's turning out to be a league above any other Beyer I owned even the T1.2 as I get its resonances under control and even out its FR response. If not for the DT 480, I would be keeping just the DT 1990. It's rather weird but once you've owned enough headphone you will understand what I mean despite seeiming contradictory. The thing is the DT 480 has already replaced my DT 1990 as my main headphone but the Amiron filled in a complimentary niche I wasn't quite expecting.

The dual cables make the bigger difference on balanced systems as the DT 1990 can't run balanced unless modded. It's also something I prefer personally. Since I personally find cables to make a difference and I tend to use aftermarket cable it's more important for me. It's not a deal breaker just something I eould prefer. Also it's a bit of my slight perfectionism wanting the design even like that. You can do balanced without dual-cables, but not on the DT 1990. If the DT 1990 had a 4 pin mini-XLR instead of 3 it could do balanced without modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back