Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #361 of 2,667
Re DT480, there is one on eBay for $99.  Is the driver supposed to be exposed like that?   I don't know if there is usually a cover.  

Not sure what it's like stock, many do come with the driver exposed though. I personally put acousic fabric over the driver and put deeper pads on it. You can put felt on it with a hole so the driver holes are exposed which also helps the resonances.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #362 of 2,667
  Opened up the Amiron, same drivers and driver dampening as the DT 1770/1990 and yes they are swappable without soldering as well. So in essence all three are the same headphone but with different housings. A little more open than the DT 1990.

Are the drivers balanced? You can buy the balanced cable upgrade but I'm counting 2 entries on that picture

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #363 of 2,667
  No, I don't have any old velours, I dont know how the new pads sound compared to the old ones sadly.  I did try both DT 1990 and both DT 1770 pads though. The DT 1990 pads will work and honestly make the headphone more comfortable. Need to spend a lot of time and see if I like the stock pads or either of the DT 1990 pads more on the Amiron.

Id be interested to know the results of that.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #365 of 2,667
Well, this is going to put the cat among the pigeons.  But I received my Amiron home's today, from Amazon, and my personal opinion is that they are not worth the money.  Not by a long shot. Having had the DT1990's, the Amirons, to me, seem an all round diluted version of the DT1990's.  The sound is warmer (I read that as less clarity), yes.  Some may like that, but I don't.  I knew that all along.  I like exact sounds, not the fuzzy version.  OK I exaggerate, but that approach to sound is not my preference.  I had thought "warmer" meant "nicer to listen to"... but then what does that mean ?  Something different to each of us I suspect.  But sound reproduction disappointment notwithstanding my greatest problem is the build quality.  Somebody on here said the pictures don't do them justice and that although they are mainly plastic, its all high quality.  I guess they must have had a better set to mine then, because every time I moved my head even slightly, the damned things creaked and I got a shot of plastic clicking against the yoke.  Unbelievably annoying.  Even the cable design smacked of cheap to me.  Thoroughly disappointed and these will be going straight back to Amazon tomorrow morning.  As for what phones I end up with.. not sure.  Most likely the DT1990's..  For less money you get more accurate sound, better build quality, greater listening experience options (different earpads) and that seems much better value to me.  Its just almost like Beyer have made the pro series (in the DT1770's and DT1990's) and then thought to themselves, "lets make something that by marketing, appeals to the home listener, offers less value for money, costs us less, and charge more for it".  Nil points from me on this one BD.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #366 of 2,667
Sorry you were disappointed...to each his own.  I think the build quality is great, certainly better than a lot of other brands out there.  Not sure how the sound could be characterized as "fuzzy" though.  Maybe you are used to the dynamic, upfront sound that the 1990 seemed to have over the Amiron, but the clarity is there and I don't even find them that "warm" sounding.  I guess a lot depends on synergy with amps or dacs, who knows. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #367 of 2,667
Had some fun with long exposures, with the Amiron and my Feliks audio Espressivo (drives them really well).

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #369 of 2,667
There is quite some synergy between a Darkvoice 336 and the amirons as well, looks like they enjoy the tubeamp sound?

Am listening to Eric Claptons unplugged CD at the moment and I feel like I was there with the band; such a joy.
Too bad for CBonUK but I can understand him; wiggeling with my jaw I hear some resonate sounds; but then again I have that on all headphone I have owned so far. I haven't heard the DT1990 yet so I can't compare to that one but I do have the T1.1 and IMO the amiron a better overall headphone.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #370 of 2,667
  Well, this is going to put the cat among the pigeons.  But I received my Amiron home's today, from Amazon, and my personal opinion is that they are not worth the money.  Not by a long shot. Having had the DT1990's, the Amirons, to me, seem an all round diluted version of the DT1990's.  The sound is warmer (I read that as less clarity), yes.  Some may like that, but I don't.  I knew that all along.  I like exact sounds, not the fuzzy version.  OK I exaggerate, but that approach to sound is not my preference.  I had thought "warmer" meant "nicer to listen to"... but then what does that mean ?  Something different to each of us I suspect.  But sound reproduction disappointment notwithstanding my greatest problem is the build quality.  Somebody on here said the pictures don't do them justice and that although they are mainly plastic, its all high quality.  I guess they must have had a better set to mine then, because every time I moved my head even slightly, the damned things creaked and I got a shot of plastic clicking against the yoke.  Unbelievably annoying.  Even the cable design smacked of cheap to me.  Thoroughly disappointed and these will be going straight back to Amazon tomorrow morning.  As for what phones I end up with.. not sure.  Most likely the DT1990's..  For less money you get more accurate sound, better build quality, greater listening experience options (different earpads) and that seems much better value to me.  Its just almost like Beyer have made the pro series (in the DT1770's and DT1990's) and then thought to themselves, "lets make something that by marketing, appeals to the home listener, offers less value for money, costs us less, and charge more for it".  Nil points from me on this one BD.

I agree the Amiron does feel a little cheap compared to the DT 1990. Though the Amiron shouldn't be creaking and making noise like that. The reason the Amiron sounds subdued compared to the DT 1990 is because it has less upper-midrange(which is where a lot of energy in a headphones sound comes from) than the DT 1990. I like both approaches to the sound, but the DT 1990 is more neutral than the Amiron and it better be because of it's intended market. Honestly if I were to make an analogy with another headphone family in terms of sound. The DT 1990 is the HD 600 while the Amiron is the HD 650.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #371 of 2,667
  Sorry you were disappointed...to each his own.  I think the build quality is great, certainly better than a lot of other brands out there.  Not sure how the sound could be characterized as "fuzzy" though.  Maybe you are used to the dynamic, upfront sound that the 1990 seemed to have over the Amiron, but the clarity is there and I don't even find them that "warm" sounding.  I guess a lot depends on synergy with amps or dacs, who knows. 

​Absolutely to each their own.  We all have different ears, different perceptions and different preferences.  I think I have found mine :)  Fuzzy is probably too strong a word if taken literally, but comparatively (DT1990 vs Amiron) I think its appropriate.  I'm not even sure amps/dacs come into play as I compared both units on the same sources;  namely my DellXPS15 laptop, and my Marantz MCR610 which has more than adequate power to drive 250Ohm headphones.  No doubt different amps/dacs will have a different effect on both models, but since I compared them like for like, again, I don't think further amplification or sound adjustment is necessary to notice the differences between them.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #372 of 2,667

​Absolutely to each their own.  We all have different ears, different perceptions and different preferences.  I think I have found mine :)  Fuzzy is probably too strong a word if taken literally, but comparatively (DT1990 vs Amiron) I think its appropriate.  I'm not even sure amps/dacs come into play as I compared both units on the same sources;  namely my DellXPS15 laptop, and my Marantz MCR610 which has more than adequate power to drive 250Ohm headphones.  No doubt different amps/dacs will have a different effect on both models, but since I compared them like for like, again, I don't think further amplification or sound adjustment is necessary to notice the differences between them.

I know exactly where you are coming from. They do have a more laid back sound. But that's why I went for them. I had all treble tilted beyers and I wanted something different. The Amiron Home really fit the bill for me.

And for amping, they don't change all that much with different amps. I do prefer them on either of my SPL amps as they are more linear. The amps are very neutral and super detailed.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #373 of 2,667
The 1990 must be like a tank because I don't find the Amiron to feel cheap in the least. I don't think I have low standards either lol - I have the Z1R and honestly it's not like a night and day difference in build quality between the two. Different materials of course and the Z1R is more luxurious but it's not like the Amiron is a toy in comparison. The Senns and HiFiMan headphones, for example, feel much cheaper to me.

Not sure you would get max potential of sound from a laptop. The Amiron benefits greatly from power.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #374 of 2,667
The 1990 must be like a tank because I don't find the Amiron to feel cheap in the least. I don't think I have low standards either lol - I have the Z1R and honestly it's not like a night and day difference in build quality between the two. Different materials of course and the Z1R is more luxurious but it's not like the Amiron is a toy in comparison. The Senns and HiFiMan headphones, for example, feel much cheaper to me.

Not sure you would get max potential of sound from a laptop. The Amiron benefits greatly from power.

My Amiron sounds great from my solid state sources, but bad on my Darkvoice 336 SE. It gets muddy and boomy.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #375 of 2,667

​Not a bit like a tank.  Just more metal than plastic.  And to be honest, not hugely heavy.  At this price point I don't think plastic is the right material.  As you said in an earlier comment... to each their own.  But I sent Grado SR325e's packing because I felt the build didn't reflect the price, so I see no reason to compromise on headphones that are twice the price.  I agree with you on Senns... just to look at them makes me think they are nasty.  For me, something has to feel worth it as well as (in the case of headphones) sound worth it.  The Amirons were arguably good enough on sound, even if not to my preference.  But they definitely don't cut the mustard on the other aspect.  And as for that annoying creaking... as someone else said to me, that's a reason to return right there.  No £500 headphones should do that. 

​Re the laptop - I didn't claim I would get the maximum potential out of it.  I did say I also listed through a Marantz unit that more than adequately drives these headphones.  Its a matter of comparison, and for me the DT1990's were a better listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back