Beyerdynamic A20 or Little Dot Mk III.... oh, and a cable!
Feb 9, 2018 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

storkbite777

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,
Newly joined up today. Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge and inability to express things in terms that you guys will understand soundwise!
I listen to CDs through and Onkyo C-7030 CD player and A-9050 amp. I mainly listen to Alternative, Indie style rock. Some punk, some classic rock, acoustic. Overall.... rock!
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and just bought a pair of Hifiman He-400i. My intention is to keep one and sell one if I find that there is no need for both. I have been sitting there trying to see which I prefer. The HD650 have only been used for around 25 hours at a guess, Hifiman just a couple (Received them this week). For a start I preferred the Hifiman - soundstage seemed broader, sounded crisper. When I unplugged them and plugged in the HD650 I had to lower the volume and the first few comparisons I would say that the HD650 sounded 'muddier'. Over the next couple of hours though and with different music, I started to feel that they sounded more similar. Maybe I was tired, maybe the recording impacted things? My gut is that I like the Hifiman better, but they are the newer ones to me and they were very comfy, so I could be biased.
I want to take the next step and purchase an Amp. I've been asking around a bit and reading up. For sale used locally I found the two amps listed in the title above for $190-199 each.
When I listen to headphones I like to hear the details, well as much as my 46 year old abused ears can hear. I'm in no way an audiophile, don't have expensive equipment, I just really love music. As I read elsewhere, I like rediscovering songs I have listened to for years by finding new elements in them.
It's all down to personal choice of course, but would really appreciate some input on the following:
1. Which of the two amps would you recommend - overall/based on my equipment and tastes/needs? In fact, would either help, or would you recommend another? I'm fine to hearing that somebody like me wouldn't hear a difference!
2. For the HD650 and He-400i, what is a good way to test for preference? It's so hard to switch and listen back and forth! Do you have a strategy or a go-to album that helps to show the weaknesses/strong points? (I listened to a J Mascis studio album, John Frusciante solo album and Fugazi's The Argument in that order, and by Fugazi I could not hear much difference)
3. I had read numerous comments about the he-400i cables and their durability. The main issue for me is the cable length. I'm sitting on the floor in front of my amp! Is a cable extension a no-no? (If not, can you recommend one/some?) I just want to be able to sit on the couch opposite my stereo, so about 10 feet would be ideal. I have some closed back Sennheiser momentums with a short cable too, so was thinking that with an extension both would be improved. If I should just replace the whole cable though, are there any recommendations?
Thank you so much to anybody willing to read this and give advice!
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back