Beyerdynamic 880 differences?
Dec 14, 2007 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

blizzard60

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

Firstly, thanks for the great forum. I have been lurking here for quite sometime, but I have now registered because I am getting ready to buy some good headphones!

I have decided on the DT880 as I think they suit my listening very well. I really listen to a lot of stuff, but when I really want to close my eyes and "listen" it is usually to Artists like Loreena McKennitt, Sarah Brightman, Moya Brennan, etc (women's voices which the DT880s seem to be really good at...).

I was thinking of the Headroom Balanced Amp to go with the Beyers. What are your thoughts on how that set up will be? I am hoping this set up will last me for a really good long time as I have saved for an awfully long time for this purchase!!

My real question is actually about the difference between the "DT800 Edition 2005" ([showUID]=174&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=105&cHash=efe58ee60e]link) and the "DT880 Pro" ([showUID]=1851&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=ae652aa639]link) both listed on Beyerdynamics' website. I can see that the "PRO" model looks like the previous generation DT880, but is it really that version?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and comments on the set-up I am thinking of purchasing!

Thanks & best wishes,
-Chris

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 23
the dt880s respond well to balanced and are a very good headphone, esp. for female vocals. there is a balanced pair in the FS forum. may be worthing checking out to save yourself some money.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt880s respond well to balanced and are a very good headphone, esp. for female vocals. there is a balanced pair in the FS forum. may be worthing checking out to save yourself some money.

Thanks a lot... I should have checked there first hey?!? I will cruise over there now!

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 23
Neither of those look quite like the earlier version, which I have. I haven't heard the newer ones, but I very much recommend the DT880. You've done your homework.

As for an amp, I haven't heard the DT880 balanced. However, I prefer it on tubes to solid state. The DT880 is slightly bright up top and solid state really brings that out.

A tube amp might suit you better. They take some of the edge off the highs and vacuum tubes are glorious with vocals. Look at tube amps in the Amp Forum before you buy.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 23
DT880 Pro share the driver housing with the DT880 2005's. The headband and all the rest comes from ed. 2003. The cable is coiled, like in DT990 Pro's.
Regarding sound, DT880 Pro and ed. 2005 have similar tonality but Pro's play from a closer distance, giving better focus on each sound. They are more studio-like while ed. 2005's presentation resembles an opera while sitting somwhere in front-middle rows. Actually I prefered the Pro's and chose them finally between the two.
People say, ed. 2003's were giving more pleasure while listening, while others claim ed. 2005's have better bass and midrange but less airy and more sibilating trebles. As the headphones burn in, the sibilance fades away from my obsevations. Also, Headphonesguru - headphone reviews offers a damping mod for all new Beyerdynamics, so there is still room for improvement (if really necessary), and recabling has always been popular amongst Beyerdynamic users because the stock cable is not very sophisticated, for sure not like those from Sony's.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither of those look quite like the earlier version, which I have. I haven't heard the newer ones, but I very much recommend the DT880. You've done your homework.

As for an amp, I haven't heard the DT880 balanced. However, I prefer it on tubes to solid state. The DT880 is slightly bright up top and solid state really brings that out.

A tube amp might suit you better. They take some of the edge off the highs and vacuum tubes are glorious with vocals. Look at tube amps in the Amp Forum before you buy.

Thanks a lot for the input. I really would like a tube amp, but it just isn't going to happen at the moment... Mainly because I really know nothing about them, and I never purchase things until I understand them to a certain level. Also, my house (read: small condo) is very open, ie, all my stereo gear is in the living room (read: the only other room in the place other than the bedroom). I have a really hard time as it is when my nieces and nephews come over and want to stick their fingers into drivers, subs, amps, etc... I can only imagine how temping little glowing tubes would be for them - trouble is all I smell!!! When we (finally) move to a bigger house where I can put my gear in a room with a door (novel idea, eh?) a tube amp of some sort is high on my list!!

Thanks again for the recommendation of the DT880.

Cheers,
-Chris

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 Pro share the driver housing with the DT880 2005's. The headband and all the rest comes from ed. 2003. The cable is coiled, like in DT990 Pro's.
Regarding sound, DT880 Pro and ed. 2005 have similar tonality but Pro's play from a closer distance, giving better focus on each sound. They are more studio-like while ed. 2005's presentation resembles an opera while sitting somwhere in front-middle rows. Actually I prefered the Pro's and chose them finally between the two.
People say, ed. 2003's were giving more pleasure while listening, while others claim ed. 2005's have better bass and midrange but less airy and more sibilating trebles. As the headphones burn in, the sibilance fades away from my obsevations. Also, Headphonesguru - headphone reviews offers a damping mod for all new Beyerdynamics, so there is still room for improvement (if really necessary), and recabling has always been popular amongst Beyerdynamic users because the stock cable is not very sophisticated, for sure not like those from Sony's.

Wow, thanks a lot for that info. How is it that BD don't have that on their website (or maybe I just couldn't find it!!)? It sounds like the Edition 2005 is more to my taste... Certainly from listening to a burnt-in pair, the sound, for me, is perfect. I know exactly what you mean about "Opera House" feel, and I think that is EXACTLY what has drawn me to this headphone over all others I have tried. I don't want to risk losing that with the "Pros" even though I like the sound of a coiled cable, and I prefer the look of the headband (honestly I would replace the cable anyway, so that's probably not a really important argument)!!

I will check out the link you posted when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the informative response!

Cheers,
-Chris

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 23
In the past the difference between the pro an the non- pro versions was the different pressure (clamp) and the headband
The pro versions have/had a tighter fit The drivers are IMO the same.
Beyerdynamic could be a lot clearer in what the differences are between the old/2003/2005/manufactur pro and non-pro versions.
But I was surprised to notice that the sound on my 10-15 year old DT990 and the new 2005 version was in the same league.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 23
i'm starting to think that the DT880 '05 version with its very crisp highs and subwoofer-like bass is probably the best headphone i have heard for electronic pop - right now i am listening to the album Give Up by The Postal Service. just amazing with these headphones. another album is Blue Wonder Power Milk by Hooverphonic. i don't own a lot of this type of music though. would like to get more.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzard60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the input. I really would like a tube amp, but it just isn't going to happen at the moment... Mainly because I really know nothing about them, and I never purchase things until I understand them to a certain level. Also, my house (read: small condo) is very open, ie, all my stereo gear is in the living room (read: the only other room in the place other than the bedroom). I have a really hard time as it is when my nieces and nephews come over and want to stick their fingers into drivers, subs, amps, etc... I can only imagine how temping little glowing tubes would be for them - trouble is all I smell!!! When we (finally) move to a bigger house where I can put my gear in a room with a door (novel idea, eh?) a tube amp of some sort is high on my list!!

Thanks again for the recommendation of the DT880.

Cheers,
-Chris

I just want to throw this out there, even if you already said you'd be avoiding tube amps:

How about the Darkvoice Figaro? The tubes in that are completely encased within, where your nephews and nieces won't be able to poke them. It's also very affordable, and is from Darkvoice, one of the best tube amp makers - if you run a quick search you're bound to come across some reviews--

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 23
Blizzard60,
Good choice going with DT880s. I have the 2003 version and don't find them bright at all, just very detailed and open. They handle all of my music with flair!

Phraxos,
I was just looking at those cute little Figaro's! They are tempting indeed.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pipoplus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the past the difference between the pro an the non- pro versions was the different pressure (clamp) and the headband
The pro versions have/had a tighter fit The drivers are IMO the same.
Beyerdynamic could be a lot clearer in what the differences are between the old/2003/2005/manufactur pro and non-pro versions.
But I was surprised to notice that the sound on my 10-15 year old DT990 and the new 2005 version was in the same league.

Cool, thanks for that. In the end I have gone with the set-up that chopstxxx was selling here because it was literally the EXACT set-up I was looking for. I have to thank vcoheda for pointing out that they were being advertised in the for sale forum!!

To those of you pointing out tube amps: thanks a lot. You have kinda made my point though... I didn't even know they made "enclosed" tube amps which illustrates my ignorance. I simply cannot buy a product when I know that little about it!!!

Thanks to Phraxos and nick20 for pointing out the Figaro. Wow, that seems CHEAP!!! Maybe I will get into tubes before I thought I would - that seem like a great place to start.

Cheers to all,
-Chris

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzard60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, thanks for that. In the end I have gone with the set-up that chopstxxx was selling here because it was literally the EXACT set-up I was looking for. I have to thank vcoheda for pointing out that they were being advertised in the for sale forum!!

To those of you pointing out tube amps: thanks a lot. You have kinda made my point though... I didn't even know they made "enclosed" tube amps which illustrates my ignorance. I simply cannot buy a product when I know that little about it!!!

Thanks to Phraxos and nick20 for pointing out the Figaro. Wow, that seems CHEAP!!! Maybe I will get into tubes before I thought I would - that seem like a great place to start.

Cheers to all,
-Chris

Congrats on your DT-880 purchase. I have the 2003 version through a Meier Corda Opera, and am amazed every time I listen. They can sound superb from a SS amp! Enjoy.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 23
The 880's are non musical & very uninvolving/boring.. Great for examining music & taking notes, but for pure audio enjoyment I'd look else where.. The 880's really shine for gaming & movies.. I am impressed with the bass.. It's very deceptive, it sounds like it's going to be soft & light, then boom you feel the weight of the impact.. I favor the bass on the 880's more then my other headphones. Very unique.. The 880's are still great headphones, regardless..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back