Beyer DT990 with Schiit Valhalla 2, anyone have this combo?
Jun 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MtnMan307

100+ Head-Fier
I've done some more research and now I think a good pair of open headphones are the way to go for home use.  The Beyer DT990 seems available for around $200-220 and gets a lot of great reviews.  They come in 32, 250, and 600 ohms.  I emailed Schiit Audio about these phones and they recommend the 600 over the other impedances.  They said the Vali would be better with the 250 ohm than 600, but the Valhalla 2 would run the 600Ohm really well. 

I probably won't have the money for a while, but would the Beyer DT990/Valhalla 2 make the most of a $550 investment?  I've also read a lot of glowing reviews on the Valhalla 2 and I would like to try a tube amp.  This is also the only pure tube amp in the Schiit line, single ended triode, and all that good stuff.  For speakers, whoa, if you want a good SET amp, you're generally talking a lot more than $350 for that!  Again though, I've never listened to any type of tube amp before.

Before people start telling me to Schiit or get off the pot, I want to make up my mind.  I know I DO want a good set of headphones and a good amp if they need one.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 7
Consider, then, the opportunity costs. If your budget is approximately $800 for Vahalla 2, Modi 2, and DT990, perhaps a Modi 2/Magni 2 for $200. That leaves you a rather big budget for headphones.

If you know you already like the DT990s, not trying to talk you out of them. Just pointing out there are a wide range of headphones that fit your budget, and typically, the majority of one's budget is best put towards headphones, not electronics.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Good point.  I need to find a better job first and get my finances squared away before I do all that.  I keep thinking of the ATH M50x as a go-anywhere and cheaper one.  I could be all in with a Fulla for $250ish.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 7
  Good point.  I need to find a better job first and get my finances squared away before I do all that.  I keep thinking of the ATH M50x as a go-anywhere and cheaper one.  I could be all in with a Fulla for $250ish.

You can get the Takstar Hi-2050 + Schiit Audio Fulla

Beyer-like experience for 130 dollars!!

Can't go wrong.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 7

In that case, starting with what you can afford make sense.

The M50X and the Fulla would be a great setup for the money. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back