Beyer dt990 vs hd555-first impressions
Mar 9, 2006 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
received my new dt990 yeaterday so this review is based on first hour session with no burn in.I used a creative zen xtra mp3 and a PA2V2 amp.
build quality-Dt990 seems very sturdy but not as solid as the hd555.The hd555 was easier to size to the head with the headband extensions cliking down so you could get the left and right earcup exactly the same.the dt990 has same principle but hard to get each side to same length since no real st
urdy click as you size each side.
comfort-both headphones have a stong headgrip.I loosened the hd555 using books between the cups overnight but i found the earcups extended too long for my face with pressure on lower sides of my jaw that i always felt.Dt990 will be put through the book stetch as soon as i burn it in.the earcups are more comfortable than hd555 and not as long as hd555 so no pressure on jaw.My right ear is touching the driver but just slightly and may just be the way they were positioned on my head.
Sound-I sold my hd555 because the sound was boring.Everything was there but no real punch.I got them because of polite treble and sound stage.It had both but everything lacked energy.I can best describe dt990 as if someone turned on the loudness button on a receiver.Bass and treble are extended but it works for me.Treble is detailed without being grado harsh and bass is very exciting.Mids a bit recessed from the hd555 but no real negative with this.Soundstage is good on both phones but with hd555 it was airy and loose where on the dt990 you can actually pinpoint the instruments in front of you.very exciting.
amplification-No need for one with the 50 ohm hd555.I used the PA2V2 but didnt feel it made much of a sonic difference.Dont bother using dt990 and mp3 player without an amp.Had my zen on full volume to get acceptable sound.Using the PA2V2 was like night and day.Head shaking volume and bass,treble and soundstage came into there own.I didnt think the PA2V2 would power a 250 ohm phone and boy was i wrong.
Burn in-I did over 200 hours with hd555 and noticed just a marginal difference.Im going to burn in the dt990 for about 200 hours also just to open it up as much as i can
conclusion-
hd555 just not for me.too polite and boring.dt990 are exciting and fit my needs perfectly with all kinds of music.They can best be described as sounding like you turned on the loudness button that you might have on your receiver or car audio.Not neutral but loads of fun.Cant wait till they burn in and headband loosens up a bit.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
.I didnt think the PA2V2 would power a 250 ohm phone and boy was i wrong.

The Bumble Bee
biggrin.gif

Quote:

...dt990 are exciting ...They can best be described as sounding like you turned on the loudness button that you might have on your receiver or car audio.Not neutral but...

Glad you like them - they are great fun - with my Pimeta that emphasis on each end is less pronounced than with the PA2V2 and they do sound more refined but one might argue that it takes away a bit from the funability
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back